25 Awesome Gifts For Game Developers
Get Awesome Gifts for Game Developers
As expert reviewers, we’ll give you 25 great ideas for gifts for game developers, straight from someone with experience in the industry!
Clever Sequence is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site we may earn an affiliate commission for referring you.
How to buy Gifts for Game Developers
Take Advantage of Insider Jokes!
Game developers have a set of common insider jokes that most people wouldn’t know about. Surprise your loved one with your appreciation and knowledge of their industry!
Don’t Stereotype with Gifts for Game Developers!
Buying traditional “nerd gifts” can come off as offensive. Unless you know that they are into Star Wars, hold off on stereotypical gifts.
Digital or Physical Gifts for Game Developers?
Remember that, while gifts for game developers can come in digital or physical form, people in this profession spend a lot of time in front of a screen. Go for something physical rather than that giant eBook collection they’ll never read!
Gifts for Game Developers
- Giant collection of tools for less than the cost of a single, basic repair!
- Also has a 64-bit driver set, necessary to open up most electronics.
- Used by and sold by a reputable company.
Every game developer has some sort of preference when it comes to certain languages and frameworks. Many see their laptops as a symbol of who they are and what they do, so you’ll often see us with tons of stickers on our laptops, but they carry significant meaning! A pack of stickers that a game developer may choose from is excellent if you don’t know exactly what technologies to look out for!
- Comes with stickers for every modern game development technology.
- All stickers are sized perfectly for standard laptops.
- Stickers of all different color themes for different colors of laptops!
Being a game developer is as much an identity as it is an occupation! Many developers take pride in their work and skills. This mug, in particular, has C++ code on it, a very common language used in game development. Although it’s a long block of code, it translates essentially to “continue to make and drink coffee until work is done”, which will likely be amusing for them and their fellow developers!
- Perfect for game developers because it has C++ code.
- Everyone needs a coffee mug; why not have a custom one?
- This gift will show appreciation for developer culture and skillsets!
When it comes to gifts for game designers, a nice mechanical keyboard is always a great choice. Let’s be real – they’re always sitting at their desks, typing away on their computers to create their newest masterpieces. A gaming keyboard will likely fit their aesthetic and remind them it’s okay to enjoy their art sometimes.
- RGB backlit keys glow in various patterns.
- Includes a keyboard rest to reduce wrist fatigue.
- Features a built-in USB port for all of their connectivity needs.
This is the first “all-in-one” virtual reality gaming system from Oculus, the industry leader! Coming in 256 GB and 64 GB SSD storage, this headset does it all! As one of the best gifts for game developers, it lets the user become immersed in any game that supports virtual reality. There’s no need to have a separate computer, either!
- Easy Setup – with the smartphone app. No PC or console needed.
- A completely immersive experience with noise-canceling audio!
- The only “all-in-one” VR solution.
- Can be used in almost any size of the room!
- All movement is tracked automatically, so no more holding pieces of plastic!
By featuring a wide and tall back, this chair provides excellent support for individuals with broad shoulders. Additionally, the headrest helps ensure your neck is supported correctly – meaning you’ll be comfortable all day long. It also includes many features to improve your posture and allow you to customize the chair to your unique needs. It’s a great addition to any room, able to hold up to 250 pounds and therefore seat various individuals.
- Made of breathable mesh material to ensure comfort and improve air circulation during long days.
- The high density sponge seat is resistant to wear and tear, meaning it will stay supportive for quite some time no matter who uses the chair.
- The chair has tilt capabilities, alongside foldable arms for customization.
- One of the best office chairs under $200
I know we advised you that the best gifts for game developers usually aren’t textbooks. However, this book is written by a game writer and producer, and it focuses on creating a compelling narrative for games, rather than the technical details behind them. Any game developer could benefit from this easy read!
- Author has 25 years of experience at companies like Marvel, Activision, and LucasFilm in game development!
- Book walks through examples of game storytelling and exercises to practice in it!
- Uses classic and modern writing techniques, combining the best of both worlds!
Game developers have difficult jobs, and they’re often unknown and under-appreciated. A T-Shirt bragging about their occupation will help with boosting their mood and self-esteem, especially if it’s decorated and illustrated well, like the one we linked here! This is one of the few items only applicable as gifts for game developers!
- Comes in several different colors; pick your game developer’s favorite!
- Perfect developer-themed gift that’s affordable and practical.
- Exceptionally well-illustrated, with retro vector graphics!
Although game developers spend a lot of time programming, they usually also spend a lot of time playing! Headsets can be particularly expensive, so they often buy cheaper ones of a lower quality. Sennheiser is the top of the line in this industry, but it’s still fairly affordable! This headset is compatible with PC and a few game consoles and allows for clear, high-definition communication online, whether testing a game they made or just playing another one for fun!
- One of the few headsets with noise-blocking functionality.
- Uses memory foam earpads for maximum comfort.
- Often used in professional video game tournaments due to its high quality!
This handy little machine can speed up game development tremendously. It is an Artificial Intelligence machine, and it uses very little power. It can be used during game development to strengthen the abilities of virtual opponents within the game. This also saves your favorite game dev tons of money over time, as they won’t have to invest in a new computer to get the horsepower they need for their next hit game!
- Very compact and easy to transport.
- Allows modern Artificial Intelligence to be used even in basic games.
- Only needs to be connected to the development computer using microUSB!
Before any game gets made, concept art is done. This captures the visual style that is to be developed. Every game developer needs one of these, and they are very inexpensive. These books are designed specifically to draw out what needs to be made on a grid and has space to add important notes.
- Acts as both a “development diary” and concept art notebook!
- Helps hone drawing skills for game developers!
- One of the cheapest gifts for game developers out there!
Protip: Game developers love curved monitors. They support 3D technology and are great for game testing (and playing). Whether it’s a second, third, or fourth monitor, it can serve as a great supplement to any developer’s setup! This specific monitor is designed for smooth and high-definition game and video playback!
- Immersive curved screen design is great for getting into games!
- Specialized technology to support 100 frames per second, higher than industry standards!
- Highly customizable and adjustable color displays to optimize playback for anything!
- The chair is adjustable to suit various body types.
- You can remove the lumbar pillow if you want.
- It’s super comfortable and leans back far for relaxation and play.
Honestly, game developers are highly creative individuals who love playing with technology. That’s why we choose this robotic car kit for the Raspberry Pi as one of the best gifts for game developers. It allows them to code the Raspberry Pi and take on a variety of unique and interesting new projects in their downtime!
- Includes real-time image and video tracking.
- Offers app control for easy navigation.
- It’s one of the most creative gifts for game developers!
Game developers tend to have video conferences with their bosses and colleagues all the time. This ring light is one of the best gifts for game developers because it takes the video conference experience to another level. Though this ring light is super simple and nothing fancy, it has 10 brightness settings. Definitely, this is one of the best ring lights for video conferencing on the market. The stand itself is small enough that it is perfect for setting up on your desktop without feeling overwhelmed. Additionally, it will ensure you don’t experience excessive shadows while on a video call.
- Excellent for interviews.
- It includes three different light modes (Daylight, White, Warm) perfect customization.
- Thanks to the metal construction of the stand, it feels very sturdy.
- It’s super easy to set up, right out of the box – it takes less than five minutes to be ready to use it.
You’ve probably heard about various issues that can occur thanks to blue light from electronics. That’s why when it comes to gifts for game designers, blue light blocking glasses are super helpful. They reduce eye strain and give your favorite developers a better chance of getting a good night’s sleep. Plus, they’re pretty cool looking!
- Comes in a pack of three, so they’ll always have extra.
- Various color packs to choose from!
- Game developer gifts like this are helpful and cool, so it’s a win-win.
We mentioned that some of the best gifts for game developers are techie and yet still unique, right? This one is no different. All too often, developers get stuck in their own head and forget to decorate. Give them this cool, computer-related artwork to snazz up their home or office.
- Includes four wall prints that can be framed.
- Prints are high-quality and true to the original patents.
- It’s a unique insight into the history of technology!
Most people are fascinated by 3D Printers and what they produce. However, for game developers, it goes beyond fascination. It actually can help them conceptualize games as they create them! For example, models of characters they make can actually be physically created and “printed” as plastic molds! Note: There are different “levels” (prices) of 3D printers. Higher-priced ones are usually more precise and can make more complex objects.
- Let character and model ideas (literally) come to life!
- Allows concept designers to see their ideas physically.
- Moderately-priced machine for both novices and pros!
This would be an awesome gift for anyone in a STEM field (or who is interested in technology). It is a basic picture frame, but there are 256 pixels that can be programmed individually to make “drawings” through an app that comes with the frame. This would be a great free-time activity and make a perfect office addition!
- Over 16 million colors can be selected!
- Not an artist? Take advantage of the huge online gallery you can import!
- Comes with a few different “pixel games” to play.
A keyboard isn’t the only device that should be ergonomic! Game developers will also use their mice a lot more than most people as they test and code, so it’s extremely important that their hands are protected. Redragon is a respectable brand, and this mouse is designed to support the entire hand!
- Programmable backlight colors perfect for gamers and developers!
- Works on any PC with any modern Windows version.
- Pinpoint accuracy that’s crucial for model and game design!
Another commonly found item in game developers’ offices, Cards Against Humanity is a famous game that’s particularly popular in the tech community. It’s difficult to describe, but it’s a simple card game where players try to make the most offensive combination of words possible, and it usually ends up being hilarious! It’s a light-hearted gift that most game developers would love, and it lets them take a break from all their hard work!
- Hilarious game that helps bolster social activities.
- The game is very common in the developer community.
- Always a fun time, whether you play it with co-workers, friends, or family!
Cards Against Humanity is a very famous game among software developers. Chances are that your software engineer does own the base card game, which is why this expansion pack is an affordable and excellent gift! It adds some more fun to the original game, especially if they play the game with other engineers.
Although most task documentation is computerized in the game development industry, most tasks are divided up over a period of days. Game developers can have difficulty keeping track of what has been done and what needs to get done, and this book helps them plan day-by-day and maximize productivity.
- The book is already organized by dates!
- There is space to write and space to draw, making it double as a concept art book!
- Specifically designed for inventors and innovators; has a section dedicated to new ideas, crucial to new game development.
Game developer gifts like this are super popular these days, and for a good reason. They give the developer in your life a new electronic toy they can play with, almost like experiencing a video game in real life. If they’re a true tech enthusiast, they’ll love this nifty little gift.
- Compatible with a variety of systems.
- Uses an app to remotely control the device.
- Must be assembled, giving them an even more adventurous task.
- Comes in 32GB or 64GB options.
- Includes a keychain loop so you don’t lose it!
- Uses USB 3.0 technology, which is faster than USB 2.0.
No developer’s setup would be complete without that custom mousepad! Coming in at almost 10” by 8”, this mouse pad has plenty of space for development, testing, and playing! It has some sample code on it. At an affordable price, this gift is a great little token of appreciation for the game developer in your life! It has a rubber backing so it won’t slip during even the most fast-paced of games.
- Ideal size at just under 10” by 8”!
- Rubber backing ensures that the pad does not slip!
- Filled with code, adding to a developer’s coding theme!
This is one of our favorites in our list of gifts for game developers. It’s a spin-off of the classic board game, Monopoly, that focuses on gamers. It uses licensed characters from the retro gaming syndicate, Nintendo. Everything about the game is changed, and rather than using “currency”, it’s all about getting the “high score”. This gift is perfect for a game developer since they can play with friends who don’t need experience in the industry and still have a great time (but don’t blame us if it causes a family dispute!).
- As a Monopoly spin-off, it has the same playability and theme, so most players can catch onto the instructions quickly.
- Everything is changed from the original Monopoly; all characters are Super Mario Bros. characters, there are power-up die that can give special abilities, and more!
These state-of-the-art headphones are great for removing distracting background noise during game development. The sound quality is unparalleled, and they even support Amazon’s Alexa! Developers can use these either wirelessly or with Bluetooth. This is a perfect gift for work and play for your favorite game developer!
- Multiple levels of noise cancellation.
- Also has a microphone, so it can be used to communicate online.
- Supports Amazon Alexa.
- Has Augmented Reality capabilities with certain apps!
- From a reputable and long-running, respected brand in the industry.
Honestly, there are plenty of fun things to do with this category of gifts for game designers and developers. These robots are really cool, letting you control them in tons of different ways. They’re super useful in some situations, too, making it both a fun and practical gift.
- Comes with an included instruction manual.
- Control it in multiple ways.
- Compatible with the Adruino IDE system and easily programmable for various tasks.