Best lighting for Zoom Calls
The new normal for many people includes talking to friends, family, and coworkers over the computer. Zoom has become the go-to when it comes to meetings. Your face may be projected onto a screen, but you should still do what you can to look your best. The most important part of that is making sure you have the right lighting.
When it comes to the best lighting for Zoom calls, the lights in your home don’t always allow you to put your best face forward. It doesn’t matter if you are using natural light or whatever light bulbs you have in your home, there’s a chance that you will look washed out, you’ll be silhouetted or half of your face will be in shadow.
There is an easy and affordable way to get the lighting for Zoom calls just right. This guide was put together to help you find the best lighting for Zoom calls.
Clever Sequence is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site we may earn an affiliate commission for referring you.
How to Choose the Best Lighting for Zoom Calls? The Buying Guide
Finding the best lighting for Zoom calls doesn’t have to be tricky, but you do need to know what you’re getting yourself into. You want people to be able to see you while you’re on your computer, and to get the lights that illuminate you and your personality, here are some things you need to consider:
The Light Should Come from In Front
Web cameras, whether they are attached to your computer or are separate, automatically adjust to the brightest source of light in the room. When that light is positioned behind you, that is what the camera focuses on, not you.
Being backlit is often what makes you look like a shadow on the computer. To prevent this from happening, you need to make sure your light source comes from the front and lights up your face. Using a ring light for Zoom calls can help, but there are other options you can explore as well.
The Lights Should be Balanced
In addition to having the lights come from in front, you also need to make sure they are balanced. If they aren’t, that’s when you get harsh shadows across parts of your face. Just like being backlit, unbalanced light can make it hard to see.
You might think that having one light shining directly into your face or hovering above you will solve this problem, but that’s not necessarily the case. To balance the light, you may need to have more than one light source.
When it comes to balancing your lights, another thing you have to consider is the brightness. The best lighting for Zoom calls are those that don’t wash you out but ensure you look your best.
To achieve the goals listed above, you have the find the right lighting options. There is no one-size-fits-all solution for everyone, which is why we put together this list.
No matter what your budget or how much space you have in your office, you’re sure to find the best lighting for Zoom calls from our list.
When it comes to finding the best lighting for Zoom calls, you’ll need to consider your budget and your workspace. If you don’t have a ton of extra space, getting free-standing lights, like what you would see on a movie set or photo shoot, probably isn’t practical.
Thankfully, there are many different lighting options to choose from, and you might even consider using a ring light for Zoom calls. These don’t take up a lot of space, but they fulfill the requirements necessary to make you look good — they light you from the front and are balanced.
Of course, you may decide that you don’t want a ring light for Zoom calls, and that’s okay. There are so many other options to choose from. We’ve compiled a list of the best lighting for home video conferencing so you can find the product that works for you.
What makes this a great ring light for Zoom calls is that it comes with rechargeable batteries and a USB cord, so you can take it on the go and ensure that it won’t die during the meeting. It is also lightweight and portable, so you can take it anywhere and everywhere!
- Slides over the top of your screen – you don’t have to worry about having a tripod or other stand to use this light with your laptop, making it convenient to use.
- Great for more than meetings – this light is so versatile and easy to use, you can use it for selfies in addition to your Zoom calls.
For another ring light for Zoom calls, you’ll want to consider this option. What sets this apart as one of the best lighting for home video conferencing is the fact that it also includes a webcam.
This is a great option if your computer doesn’t already have a camera included, but it goes beyond that. It allows you to use any device to connect to the internet, and you’ll look good while using it.
The camera is equipped with an autofocus function and also comes with microphones that are dual noise-canceling and have an amplifier chip. You’ll look and sound good during any Zoom meeting.
The flexible clip allows the camera to be attached to your desktop computer monitor or your laptop screen. It even comes with the ability to change your background, which can make your office space look more interesting — or at least allow you to hide things you don’t want your coworkers to see.
- Three brightness levels that ensure that no matter where you are, you are illuminated.
- Can be used with gaming devices, including the Xbox One.
- Has a low bandwidth but high quality, so your video looks smooth and bright.
The light comes with a clamp mount that attaches to various surfaces, making it possible to set this light so that it illuminates you from the front, side, or top. It’s great by itself or when used in conjunction with another ring light for Zoom calls to balance the light in your office.
The clamp mount allows for the light to rotate 360 degrees so that you can position it exactly where you need it.
- A USB power supply, which allows you to plug it into any desktop or laptop computer or into a power bank, so you can use it anywhere.
- It has multiple functions – in addition to being used for Zoom meetings, it can also double as a table lamp.
This ring light for Zoom calls ensures that there are no shadows or glare as you interact with your coworkers, family, and friends online.
- Equipped with a stable clip – the light can be placed directly on your laptop monitor, where it will remain steady.
- Easy to position – the light rotates within the clip, so you can position it perfectly to make you look dazzling.
- Comes with a USB plug that can be plugged directly into your computer or used with a power bank or portable battery.
When it comes to the best lighting for Zoom calls that is simple to use and set up, this is the light you’re looking for. It may not be any larger than an iPhone, but it comes with the ability to change the color temperature and brightness so that you shine in any environment. It also comes with a stand and computer mount, meaning you can use this light in any situation no matter where you are!
- Can be set up in seconds – you are looking good and ready for your meeting in no time at all.
- Adjustable tripod – the height of the tripod can be adjusted from 12 to 30 inches, putting the light in the perfect spot.
- Suction cup mount that allows the light to be attached directly to your laptop or desktop computer.
This large light ring is a great ring light for Zoom calls because it’s versatile and easy to use. It comes with three color temperatures: white, warm white, and warm yellow, all of which can be adjusted to 10 different brightness levels.
It comes with various mounting options so that you can place this directly on your desk or clamp it to your computer or laptop or directly to a table. This light even comes with a flexible phone holder, so you can use it with your smartphone if you need to log into meetings while on the go, making it the best lighting for Zoom calls when using your phone.
- A super clamp, which comes with a swivel ball so that the light can be moved 360 degrees to be positioned perfectly.
- Lightweight design that makes it portable and can be used anywhere and everywhere.
- USB power adapter port for easy charging.
Best Lighting for Zoom Calls
How far away should the light be when it comes to the best lighting for home video conferencing?
When it comes to illuminating yourself in the most positive light, it’s recommended that your main light source be a minimum of 45 degrees away. Of course, that can be moved closer or farther depending on the specific circumstances in your home office.
It’s also important to take into consideration the other light sources in the room and adjust your lighting sources accordingly. Keep in mind that your monitor will shine light onto you, as will natural light sources such as windows.
Reposition your light and change the color temperature and brightness to ensure that you look amazing for any meeting you have to attend.
How do you get the best lighting for Zoom calls with a ring light?
If you decide that a ring light is going to be the best lighting for Zoom calls in your home office, then you need to make sure you use them to your advantage.
The great thing about ring lights is the fact that they are easy to set up and use. Most options allow you to adjust the color temperature and brightness to ensure you are illuminated perfectly. Before logging into your meeting, you’ll need to play with the adjustments to see how it looks on your screen to find the right setting.
Another thing you need to consider is that you don’t want the ring lights shining directly into your eyes and that they can reflect off glasses.
To prevent either of these things from happening, you can angle the light or move it farther away from your face.
How to position a ring light for Zoom calls with glasses?
Not only can ring light reflect off your glasses, but they can also cause glare, which can make it hard for you to see your screen.
The best way to prevent this from happening is to place the ring light off to the side or move it so that it’s above you. The best lighting for Zoom calls will come with clips or tripods that allow them to be secured to a variety of locations.
It’s a good idea to experiment with your ring light or any other light before using it for live meetings so that you can find the perfect location so you look good and can see what’s going on.
What makes this the best lightning for Zoom calls is that the LED lights distribute light evenly and come in three brightness modes: low, normal, and high. As a ring light for Zoom calls, it will brighten your features so that everyone will be able to see you clearly. The clip allows it to be connected to smartphones, iPads, laptops, and tablets.
- Compact and portable – you can take this with you if you have to travel.
- Long-lasting bulbs – the LED lights reduce shadows so that you look good in low-light conditions.
- Equipped with USB, making this ring light easy to recharge.
If you are looking for the best lighting for home video conferencing that is incredibly bright, then check out what this has to offer! You can adjust the brightness from 2,500 to 6,500K easily with the dimmable lighting mode.
It also comes with a battery that lasts for 2.5 to 10 hours, and the suction cup ensures that this light will stick to a variety of smooth surfaces, including a desk, tabletop, or even your computer monitor.
- Adjustable knobs that allow you to rotate the light 360 degrees.
- 64 LED lights with an output capacity of 850 lumens.
- You can charge the battery while using the light.
Are you looking for the best lighting for Zoom calls that also comes equipped with a web camera and professional setup? Your search stops here!
This full HD webcam is self-contained and freestanding. This equipment also comes with a high-quality USB condenser microphone that ensures you sound as good as you look.
The lighting is provided by a dimmable LED light ring that is used with filter accessories so that you can create cool, warm, and diffused light to remove shadows and show off your best features.
- Easy to use controls that are both ergonomic and aesthetically pleasing.
- Space-saving design that allows this to be used in home offices of all shapes and sizes.
- Light ring that ensures you are surrounding in balanced light.
When you are looking for the best lighting for Zoom calls and must-have equipment, this light is at the top of the list. Not only is it incredibly affordable, but it also comes with 49 high brightness light beads that can be adjusted to different levels.
It also comes with a frosted lens and a white diffuser, which allow you to add a professional glow to your face during online meetings.
- A long battery life – at maximum brightness, the battery will last for 2.5 hours, and at minimum brightness, it can last for up to 15 hours.
- Rechargeable battery – once the battery power has run out, it’s possible to recharge the lithium battery.
- High-quality suction cup that attaches quickly and easily to flat, smooth surfaces.
- Can be adjusted up to 270 degrees to ensure you are perfectly illuminated.
- Small size allows you to take it anywhere.
What makes this the best lighting for Zoom calls is the fact that it is easy to change the lighting settings to meet your needs. The right light comes with three color temperatures (natural light, white light, and warm light) that can be adjusted to five different levels of brightness.
The light is powered by a USB, which can be plugged into your computer, a portable battery, or a phone charger.
- A tripod that can extend from 12 to 30 inches; it’s also easy to reposition the light using the tripod.
- A suction cup that allows it to attach to any smooth, flat surface, including tabletops, desks, or your computer monitor.
- Even distribution of light to reduce glare and shadows, making you look outstanding during your meetings.
When looking for the best lighting for Zoom calls, the one feature you want to consider is that the light adjusts to your skin tone — and that’s exactly what this light does. The temperatures range from warm, orange light to cool, white light. You can even control the brightness to ensure that you are highlighted perfectly at your next business meeting.
- To dial in the light even further, this lighting option comes with six colored diffusers. You’ll have the ability to get a professional glow with the softest light possible.
- A long battery life that can last between 3 and 15 hours; or you can plug the light in to ensure it stays running for the entire meeting.
- A suction cup that is high quality and can mount to any smooth, flat surface.
- An extendable tripod that can be adjusted from 5.9 to 10.6 inches and also comes with 180-degree neck rotation and 360-degree head rotation.
- Lightweight to make it ideal to use anywhere and everywhere.
Best Lighting for Zoom Calls
What can I use instead of a ring light for Zoom calls?
If you find that a ring light isn’t the best lighting for Zoom calls, you have different options to choose from. We have added a variety of lights to our list, including softboxes, that can be attached to your desktop, laptop, or tabletop. Some even come with a tripod to make setting them up easier.
Many of these options allow you to adjust the color temperature and brightness so that you look dazzling during your meeting.
How can I make myself look better on Zoom, in addition to using the best lighting for home video conferencing?
In addition to using the best lighting for Zoom calls, there are some other steps you can take to make yourself look better while meeting with friends, family, or coworkers. These include the following:
- Dress appropriately – However you would dress to go into the office is how you should consider dressing for your Zoom meeting. Not only does this help you look good, but you look professional as well.
- Use Zoom features – Zoom comes with a variety of different options to help you look good, including a “Touch up my appearance” feature. After you have checked this box, Zoom will smooth out any blemishes, wrinkles, or imperfections so that you look great.
Another feature Zoom offers, as do some of the lighting and camera options we’ve included on this list, is the ability to change your background. This can help you block out anything that you may not want your coworkers to see, adding a touch of professionalism to your online interactions.
What’s the difference between a ring light and a softbox?
When looking for the best lighting for Zoom calls, you might be trying to decide between a ring light and a softbox.
The biggest difference between a ring light and a softbox is the shape. Ring lights are circular, while softboxes are generally square or rectangular.
Another difference is how they disperse light. Ring lights tend to be more direct and shine directly into the area you want to illuminate. Softboxes spread light throughout the space.
Either can be a good option when it comes to finding the best lighting for Zoom calls. Deciding which one you should use will come down to your office space and personal preference.
What kind of ring light for Zoom calls should I get?
If you have decided that a ring light is the best lighting for Zoom calls for you, the type you get will depend on personal preference and your office space.
If you have limited space or travel often, then getting one that attaches to your laptop and is small and lightweight is recommended.
Should most of your meetings happen at home while on a desktop computer, then finding the best lighting for Zoom calls with a tripod can be beneficial and ensure that you position your light correctly?
Tripods are also useful if you use your phone for online meetings. You can attach a ring light for Zoom calls to your phone so that you always look good.
What makes this a great ring light for Zoom calls is that it was built to last. Instead of a plastic tripod stand, it comes with a round metal base and bracket. It can extend from 9 to 16 inches, and the head rotates 360 degrees. You’ll be able to put this in the exact location and find the right angle to illuminate your entire face.
The light comes in three color temperatures, and each one can be adjusted to 10 different levels of brightness.
- A universal fit phone holder that allows it to be used with Androids and iPhones – perfect for when you’re on the go but still need to look good for online meetings.
- A wireless remote shutter – when using this light with your phone, you can control it from a distance.
- Controls that are easy to use – the interface is simple so you can quickly and easily adjust the lighting to your desired level.
The different color temperatures this light is equipped with include warm, cold white, daylight, warm white and natural white. You can even adjust these to five different brightness settings to make you more visible while talking to friends, family, or coworkers.
- Small size, making it lightweight and portable.
- USB power supply that can be plugged directly into your computer.
- Adjusts 360 degrees to illuminate your features perfectly.
When it comes to finding the best lighting for Zoom calls, one of the things you want to look for is a product that will help you look natural — and this light does that. It comes with a pre-installed diffuser to give you a more natural glow.
The color temperature and brightness can also be adjusted on this light, ensuring you get the best lighting for your environment and skin tone.
- A webcam-style stand that attaches directly to your monitor, making it easy to set up and takedown.
- The mount can be used for laptops and desktop computers.
- Comes with both a USB-C and micro-USB charging port so that you can use it anywhere and everywhere.
Having a light that can be set up in seconds ensures that you always look good and are ready for your online meeting — even if they happen by surprise.
In addition, this light also comes with a built-in frosted lens and an additional white diffuser to add a professional glow to any online interaction you might have. The light can also be adjusted for brightness and temperature so that you always look stunning.
- A long-lasting battery – on the brightest setting, it will last for 2.5 hours and up to 15 hours on the lowest setting.
- You can also plug the light in, and then you don’t have to worry about the battery at all.
- A suction cup mount that affixes to a variety of smooth, flat surfaces.
- Six colored filters for different scenarios. A USB charger.
When it comes to finding the best lighting for Zoom calls, you might not want to have to worry about suction cups and sticking the product to your computer or monitor. If that’s the case, then finding one with a tripod is in your best interest. This might be exactly what you need.
However, if you don’t mind suction cups and want the option of using one or the other, then this light is exactly what you’re looking for. It comes with both!
- The tripod extends from 5.9 to 10.6 inches, allowing you to position it perfectly for the best lighting.
- The tripod has 180-degree neck rotation and 360-degree head rotation, allowing you to refine the position for the best illumination.
- Adjustable brightness and temperature to ensure your face is well lit and visible.
- Long-lasting battery.
When looking for a ring light for Zoom calls, the easier they are to use, the better it is for you. This one checks all of the boxes for providing lighting for online meetings. Not only is it quick and easy to clip onto your computer, making it the best ring light for laptop, but it can also be used on your smartphone.
To make using this product even more convenient, you don’t have to worry about replacing batteries because the one it has can be recharged. It also lasts for up to 2 hours!
- Small and light – so you can put it in your pocket and take it anywhere you go.
- Three lighting modes – including warm light, white light, and warm white light.
- Adjustable brightness – no matter how dim your office is, this light can make you look good!
Whether you are a beginner or a professional and looking for the best lighting for Zoom calls, this product will fulfill all of your needs. It will also help you balance your light sources because it comes with two softboxes that are quick and easy to set up.
- Adjustable tripods that ensure your lights are adjusted to the appropriate height for all of your lighting needs.
- Soft, well-balanced bulbs that illuminate like daylight.
- A removable outer diffuser to ensure that the light doesn’t create shadows or spots while illuminating your face for your meeting.
This is a great ring light for Zoom calls because it is both a webcam and a light source. You don’t need separate pieces of equipment to look good while online!
Want to know what else makes this the best lighting for Zoom calls? It can be set up in five minutes. The light can also be adjusted to three different brightness levels. It also comes with automatic low-light correction, so if the light in the room changes, you’ll still look amazing.
- Facial-enhancement technology that automatically optimizes the image so that you look professional.
- Dual microphones so that you sound good.
- H.265 encoding that compresses the video file to reduce the MPEG size but still deliver a high-quality picture.
- Autofocus to ensure that all details are captured on the video.
When you want to take your online meetings to another level, this is the best lighting for Zoom calls to help you with that endeavor. It is quick and easy to install, it comes with a frosted lens to give you professional-looking illumination and it can be used on a variety of different computers, from laptops to desktops to tablets.
You can also adjust the color temperature and brightness so that no matter where you’re accessing your meeting, you’ll be visible and looking fantastic!
- Six color filters to meet all of your online needs.
- A long-lasting battery that can be recharged in two hours.
- Small and portable so that you can take it with you wherever you go.
When it comes to a ring light for Zoom calls, this one has a lot to offer. It is eight inches in diameter and comes with three different color temperatures: white, white yellow, and yellow. There are also 10 different brightness levels you can adjust these temperatures to, ensuring that you are always shown in your best light.
- Tripod extends from 14 to 61 inches, ensuring that the light always hits you in the right spot.
- The extension rod from the tripod can be removed and used as a selfie stick.
- It has a universal phone holder, which allows you to use this with any computer or your phone while on the go.
- Powered by a USB that can be plugged into your computer, a portable battery or power pack.
This is another one we’ve added to our list of being a great ring light for Zoom calls because it comes with a total of 30 different lighting options to choose from. There are three color temperatures, including daylight, warm white, and cool white, and each one of these has 10 brightness levels that can be adjusted. All of these adjustments make this the best lighting for Zoom calls because you always look amazing when you’re online.
- A tabletop tripod that folds down small enough to fit in your pocket.
- A universal phone holder that accommodates both Android and iPhones so you can access meetings when you’re not at home.
- A Bluetooth remote control that can be used to control your phone for selfies or meetings.
We are big fans of using a ring light for Zoom calls, and this one comes with an upgraded tripod stand that won’t fail over time. Many of the other lighting options that come with a tripod have twist-to-lock features that fail over time. This one comes with quick-flip locks that last longer. They are also easier to use.
The tripod also extends from 17.5 to 51 inches so that your light is always in the right position.
What makes this the best lighting for Zoom calls is the fact that the light has three color temperatures, including daylight, cool white, and warm light, as well as eleven different brightness levels.
This light is what you’re looking for when you want to get rid of unsightly shadows and ensure that your light is balanced so that you look dazzling.
- Powered by USB, so it can be plugged into a laptop, desktop, power bank, or portable battery
- Comes with a phone holder that rotates, keeping you in touch with your friends, family, and coworkers no matter where you are
- Bluetooth remote to control your camera from a distance
When you are looking for the best lighting for Zoom calls that is super bright and has an LCD display, this is the product you want. From warm to cool tones and the ability to adjust the brightness level, this light is the ultimate when it comes to professional lighting for Zoom calls.
It clamps to your desk, and it can be adjusted to ensure that the light hits you in just the right spot. You can even get more than one light and sync them together to balance the various light sources.
- Remote controls that allow you to control the brightness and temperature on one or more lights.
- Soft diffuser to reduce shadows and light spots.
- Four light effect modes to take your online meetings from boring to exciting.
Your search for the Best Lighting for Zoom Calls
Finding the best lighting for Zoom calls shouldn’t be a challenging task. Our goal with this list is to inform you of the different options that are available and help you find the one that will work best for your office space, your budget, and your lighting needs.
With different options to choose from, all of which come with adjustable color temperatures and brightness, we’re sure you’ll find the best lighting for Zoom calls that will make you look amazing while interacting with other online.