How to Capture a Picture From a Video on iPhone
If you are an iPhone user, you likely have several videos in your Photos app. You probably enjoy filming to capture the memories that exist between you and your loved ones. Sometimes, however, you may want to use one specific image from your video, whether it be for a YouTube thumbnail, profile photo, or other reasons.
There are many ways you can learn how to capture a picture from a video on iPhone devices. These range from the built-in features to the third-party apps that you can download from the App Store. Learn more in the information below.
Capture an Image while Recording
You can learn how to capture a picture from a video while recording. This method prevents you from having to perform edits on the completed version. If you have an iPhone 5 or newer, you can use the steps below.
- Open the Camera app.
- Swipe until you are on the video option.
- Touch the red button to start to record.
- Look for a circular white button on the top or bottom corner.
- Tap that white circle to take a photo of whatever is on your screen.
Do note that the photo’s resolution will be lower when you capture it while recording a video. You will have to use a third-party editing tool to increase the DPI. Learn more about the resolutions you will get on each iPhone photo captured while recording a video below.
- iPhone 5/5S: 1280 X 720
- iPhone 6: 2720 X 1532
- iPhone SE: 3412 X 1920
- iPhone 6S: 3412 X 1920
- iPhone 7: 3412 X 1920
- iPhone 8: 3412 X 1920
- iPhone X: 3412 X 1920
- iPhone 12: 3520 X 1980
The iPhone SE and above can also capture a photo while recording a 4K video. The iPhone SE up to the iPhone X creates pictures with a resolution of 3840 x 2160. The iPhone 12, however, produces screengrabs with 3672 x 2066 DPI.
Capture a Photo from Prerecorded Videos
You can learn how to capture a picture from a video on iPhone recorded videos too. There are a couple of methods available, including those found below.
Take a Screenshot
First, to learn how to capture a picture from a video in your Photos app, you can take a screenshot. When you see the part on the screen that you want an image of, follow the below steps.
iPhones with a Home Button
The older iPhones have a home button that allows you to take a screenshot with ease. Use the steps below to learn this method.
- Press and hold the sleep/wake button. You can find it on the right side of your iPhone.
- At the same time, hold down the home button.
- Wait until you hear the sound of the screenshot. The image will automatically save to your Photos app.
Newer devices do not have a home button that you can use to learn how to capture a picture from a video on iPhone devices. You will have to follow the below steps instead.
- Tap the screen to hide the video controls
- Press and hold the button at the top of the right side, Or press and hold the volume up button on the top left side, and wait for the sound of the screenshot and locate your image in the Photos app.
Send Videos to Your Mac
You can easily Airdrop videos to your Mac to extract photos from them on your computer. Learn how to capture a picture from a video on iPhone devices using your Mac in the information below.
iMovie comes pre-installed on every Apple device. Only the desktop version, however, allows you to learn how to capture a picture from a video. After you Airdrop your media to your Mac, use the below steps.
- Open iMovie.
- Press the plus sign, and import the appropriate video.
- Play the video until you get to the screen that you want to capture. Pause your film.
- Click on “File,” then “Share.”
- Choose the “Image” option.
- Enter a name for your photo, and press “Save.”
- Wait for the “Share Successful” notification to show up.
Quicktime is another tool that comes preinstalled on every Mac. You can quickly learn how to capture a picture from a video on iPhone devices with Quicktime using the below steps.
1. Double-click on your video to automatically open Quicktime.
2. Play the video and pause it when you get to the appropriate screen.
3. Press the “Edit” menu, then click on “Copy.”
4. Preview will automatically open.
5. In Preview, choose the “File” menu, then press “Save.”
6. Enter a title for the image and a folder location, then press “Save.”
While your video plays in Quicktime, you can also take a screenshot to save an image from a frame. Make sure your video is full-screen, then press “Shift,” “Command,” and “3” on the keyboard, and the photo will save to your desktop. The quality will not be as high when using this method, however.
Photoshop is available on your Mac for a cost. You will download it from Adobe Creative Cloud. Learn how to capture a picture from a video in this third-party software using the below steps.
- Open Photoshop.
- Click on “File,” then “Import,” then “Video Frames to Layers.”
- Choose the appropriate video and press “Open.”
- Choose the “Selected Range Only” option. Drag the slider to the screen that you need to capture.
- Press “Ok.”
- Delete every other frame but the one you want to keep.
- Click on “File,” then “Save” to download the image.
After each of the above methods, you will need to Airdrop your photo back to your iPhone. It will automatically save to your Photos app.
There are many third-party apps you can use to learn how to capture a picture from a video on iPhone devices. Some of the best are below.
Frame Grabber is a user-friendly app that is easy to learn when you want to capture images from videos. It is free to use, and the exported image will keep its original film resolution. So long as you have iOS 13 or later, you can use the steps below.
1. Download Frame Grabber from the App Store.
2. Give Frame Grabber permission to access your photos.
3. Under the tab labeled “All,” select the video you want to upload.
4. Drag the slider on the bottom of the screen until you find the appropriate frame.
5. Make fine adjustments using the arrow icons next to the slider.
6. Tap the icon that resembles three horizontal dots, and press “Export Options.”
7. Determine the image format you want for your export and the quality of it.
8. Tap “Share,” then select “Save Image.”
Your image will go straight to the Photos app. To quickly access it, you can go to the album labeled “Recents.”
Video to Photo Grabber
Video to Photo Grabber costs $1.99 for a download from the App store. It is easy to use when learning how to capture a picture from a video, however. The photos you get after using the below steps have a high resolution as well.
- Download Video to Photo Grabber from the App Store.
- Give the app permission to view your photos.
- Upload the appropriate video to the app.
- Use the slider to inspect every frame of the film. Stop when you get to the image you want to save.
- Press the “Export” button to save the image captures to your iPhone.
Video to Photo - Grab HD Frame
Video to Photo, like the previous two apps, keeps a high resolution on your images. Your downloads will still be in full HD. Follow the steps below to use this software.
1. Download Video to Photo – Grab HD Frame from the App Store.
2. Give the app permission, and upload your video.
3. Use the “Previous” and “Next Frame” buttons to see every frame used in the film.
4. Stop when you get to the appropriate frame for your image.
5. Press “Save Frame.”
6. Wait for the notification that shows that your image was downloaded to the Photos app.
StillShot costs $0.99 to download from the App Store. After you upload your video, you can look at each frame one by one. You can save any still that will work for the photo you want to create using the below steps.
- Download StillShot from the App Store.
- Open the app and select the video that you want to capture.
- Press the play icon to quickly find the frame you want to convert.
- Scroll through the frames individually to fine-tune your photo selection.
- Press “Save” to download the image to your Photos app.
The photo you save could have an output of up to 1080 pixels. It will keep the images in the high resolution that your video had.
Save Photos from Your iPhone Videos
Many methods exist to teach you how to capture a picture from a video on iPhone devices. On your smartphone itself, you can take a screenshot or take a photo while recording a film. You can also Airdrop the video to your Mac to capture an image using your computer’s software.
There are also a variety of third-party apps available for you to download from the App Store. These are user-friendly and allow you to keep the high resolution that existed in your video. Get started saving images from your video frames today!
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence