How to Change Gmail Background to Own Photo
You can learn how to change Gmail background to own photo ideas or built-in templates provided on the Gmail website. You can turn on dark mode to have a black backdrop on your Gmail on mobile devices. You can learn how to make a personalized background for your Gmail account in the information below.
Changing Your Gmail Background on the Browser
You can start to learn how to change Gmail background to own photo uploads or other pre-installed images using a browser. Learn more below.
Gmail comes with a variety of themes that you can use for the background of your email account. You can access these pre-installed options by visiting the settings menu. Follow the steps below to begin.
- Go to gmail.com and log in to your account.
- Press the gear icon, which opens the settings menu.
- Scroll over to the “Themes” tab.
- Click on “Set Theme.”
- Choose one of the pre-installed options that you enjoy and make adjustments.
- Press “Save.”
After you choose a Gmail background themes download, there are several adjustments you can make. There are available edits for text, vignette, and blur.
When you select the text adjustments, you will change the message format where you type. You can choose between light or dark.
To make vignette adjustments, you will need to move the dot on the sliding scale. Move it to the right to make the four corners of your Gmail account darker.
The blur adjustment option also comes with a sliding scale that you will need to move. Move it to the right to remove some of the detail from your selected theme.
Use Your Own Photo
As mentioned, you can also learn how to change the Gmail background to your own photo. This process does require a few different steps, as you cannot upload an image directly from your computer on the themes page.
1. Add Images to Google Photos
First, you need to upload images to Google Photos. Complete this process using the steps below.
1. Go to www.photos.google.com and sign in to your Google account.
2. Press the blue “Upload” button, and choose the photos you want to add.
3. Confirm by pressing “Upload.”
After you upload your images to Google Photos, you can organize them via albums. You could even name it “Background Photos” to know exactly the pictures you want to access.
2. Connect the Images from Google Photos to Your Gmail Background
After you have the images uploaded to Google Photos, you can learn how to change Gmail background to your own photo using the theme settings. Start with the steps below.
1. Go to www.gmail.com and sign in to your account.
2. Click on the gear icon to access your settings.
3. Scroll over to the “Themes” tab.
4. Press “Set Theme.”
5. Scroll down to the “My Photos” option and click it.
6. Select the image in your Google Photos account that you want to use.
7. Press “Select.”
You will automatically see the photo or theme you chose after logging back into your Gmail account. If you want to change it to something else, use either of the above methods again.
Not only can you change the background in Gmail, but you can adjust the details of the messages themselves. After pressing compose and typing, double-click on the text in your message. Change the type of font you use, the size of it, and the color scheme from the toolbar that shows up.
Changing Your Gmail Background on the App
There are a few basic features you can use. They will help you learn how to change Gmail background to own photo or pre-installed theme on the mobile apps. The steps vary depending on if you use an Android or Apple device.
Use Dark Mode
Dark mode is available on both Apple and Android smartphones. This method is the most basic option for changing the look of your Gmail account. The steps vary depending on if you have an Android or iPhone, as seen below.
Android Dark Mode
To turn on dark mode on an Android, use the steps below.
- Download the Gmail app from the Google Play store.
- Press on the menu icon. It resembles three horizontal lines and is near the top of the screen.
- Tap “General Settings.”
- Select “Theme.”
- Press “Dark.”
If you already have dark mode turned on, you can go back to the default settings. Use the steps above, but select “System Default” instead of “Dark.”
iPhone Dark Mode
In newer models of the iPhone, you will have to access the device’s settings to turn on dark mode using the steps below.
- Open the Settings app.
- Click on “Display and Brightness.”
- Press “Dark.”
- Tap “Switch to Dark Mode.”
Gmail and most other apps on your iPhone will switch to dark mode on your device. For older models of an iPhone, you will need to adjust settings in the Gmail app.
- Download the Gmail app from the Apple App Store.
- Click on three lines and press “Settings.”
- Tap on “Theme.”
- Choose “Dark.”
Other things you can customize on your Gmail account
Just as you can change the background color of the Gmail home screen, there are other aspects that you can customize to make your emails more visible.
To adjust your inbox according to your preferences follow these steps:
1. Click on the gear icon to access your settings.
2. In the quick settings section, you will find the density tab, choose the one that fits your screen and preferences.
3. In the inbox type section, you can click on the different options according to the priority in which you want to view your emails.
4. In the reading pane section you can redistribute the reading section according to the functionality.
Third-Party Apps to Change your Gmail Background
There are a couple of third-party apps and software tools available for you to use. They are compatible with your mobile devices or browsers. These will help you create a Gmail background themes download that links to your account.
BEE Templates for Gmail
BEE Templates for Gmail is an extension that you can add to your Gmail account. It lets you create themes for specific message types, including presentations, thank you notes, blogs, announcements, and more.
You do not have to create a registered account with BEE Templates for Gmail to start with this tool. You only have to click to install the add-on.
To use this tool, use the steps below.
1. Go to www.gmail.com and compose a new message.
2. Click on the icon for BEE Templates for Gmail.
3. Press on one of the categories for the type of message you want to create.
4. Edit the template for your own personalized message.
5. Press “Send.”
You can upgrade your Bee Templates for your Gmail account if you want even more features. These include over 800 templates, font edits, and the ability to save your personalized email creations.
FREE Email Backgrounds
FREE Email Backgrounds is an app available for your mobile devices, specifically your Apple devices. Not only can you create themes for your emails, but you can also change the look of your emojis and the text format.
You can also create an address book on this app that will allow you to compose a different look for the emails you need to send to specific people. In total, however, there are over 1,000 backgrounds for you to choose from for your Gmail account.
Consider adding a signature to give all of your messages a personalized touch. Open Gmail settings, and scroll to the “Signature” section. Add your name or an image, and press “Save Changes” when you are happy with your creation.
Change your Gmail Background
Learn how to change Gmail background to own photo or pre-installed templates today. You will enjoy the many features available on the browser, including the ability to adjust the vignette and blur. There are also options to allow you to upload your own images for your Gmail background.
On the Gmail app, you can download dark mode to give your Gmail account a unique appearance. There are limited personalization options available, however. You can change the text or add a signature within the app to start.
There are a few apps that you can install to help you with your Gmail personalization options. BEE Templates for Gmail, for instance, is an extension for your Gmail server that will let you use templates for personalized messages. FREE Email Backgrounds is a mobile app available on Apple devices that lets you easily edit your Gmail backgrounds.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence