How to Change the Admin Name on Mac
After you buy a Mac, you are probably eager to open it and get it set up. When the computer turns on, it is time to start personalizing your system. One of the first things you have to do is enter a name for the administrator.
There may arise circumstances in which you need to learn how to change the admin name on Mac computers. You may want to gift the device to someone else, for instance. Thankfully, the process for changing the name of the administrator account is relatively simple, which you should realize after reading the information below.
Understanding the Admin Name
Before this article gets into information on how to change the admin name on Macbook Pro devices, you must understand the username itself. When you turn on your Mac, you know that you have to enter a password. The admin name is the label that is above the password field.
The name of the administrator account, which is what is on the login screen, and the title of the home folder are the same. Your computer’s full name is the title you see on the login screen, which should also match the admin name. For the latter, you have to create a new administrator account before learning how to change the admin name on Mac devices.
Reasons for Changing Your Admin Name
As mentioned, you may want to learn how to change the admin name on Macbook Pro devices if you want to gift your computer to someone else. Other reasons are in the list below.
- Change your admin name after you change your legal title.
- Make the changes after you get married.
- Pick a new admin name if you originally misspelled it.
- Fix your admin name if you want something more manageable for professional purposes.
- Adjust your admin name if you want all of your Macs to use the same information.
The steps for changing your admin name are in the information in detail below.
1. Create a New Administrator Account
As mentioned, to learn how to change the admin name on Mac computers, you first have to make a new administrator account. The created user on your computer will have admin rights.
Administrators on your Mac have the right to edit other users and more. Make sure that you keep the admin accounts secure, however. You do not want to lose any of the rights to your computer that administrators have, as seen below.
- Add other users.
- Edit other user accounts.
- Install new apps.
- Change computer settings.
Steps to Create a New Administrator on a Mac
Remember, you need to create a new administrator account on the Mac to change the original admin name. Take the steps below to get started.
1. Log in to your account, and click on the Apple logo.
2. Press “System Preferences.”
3. Choose the section labeled “Users & Groups.”
4. Click on the icon that resembles a lock to start.
5. Enter your account password and press “Unlock.”
6. Click the plus sign on the left side of the screen.
7. In the drop-down menu next to the phrase “New Account,” choose “Administrator.”
8. Fill out all of the fields, including the names, password, and hint.
9. Press “Create User.”
Changing the Full Name
The above method is also useful if you only want to change the full name. The steps are in detail below.
1. Click on the Apple menu, then select “System Preferences.”
2. Select the “Users & Groups” menu.
3. Press the padlock symbol, then enter your username and password.
4. Press “Control” on the keyboard and click the name you need to change.
5. Click “Advanced Options,” and enter the new title in the “Full Name” field.
2. Change the Name of the Home Folder
After you make a new administrator account, you will need to rename the home folder on your Mac. This process is more complicated than the previous one. Continue reading the information below on the next necessary step when learning how to change the admin name on Mac devices.
Log Out of Your Account
First, when learning this step for how to change the admin name on Macbook pro devices, you will need to log out of your account. Use the steps below to start.
- Click on the Apple logo.
- Press “Log Out.”
- Wait until you get back to the login screen.
Steps Required for Changing the Name
After you log out, you can log in to the new administrator account on your computer. After, start the process of changing the name of the home folder using the below steps.
- Press “Go” at the top of the screen, then “Go to Folder.”
- In the search box, type in “/Users” and press “Go.”
- In the field next to the words, “Home Folder,” enter the new administrator name.
- Enter the new administrator name and password you created in the previous step.
You will not be able to change the name of the home folder if you have file sharing. This feature allows you to share information with other Mac computers. You will have to go into system preferences and stop file sharing. After doing this, you can complete this step when learning how to change the admin name on Macbook Pro devices.
When naming the home folder, do not type any spaces in the title. It will not accept your entry if these are present.
3. Change the Name of the Account Itself
The final step in learning how to change the admin name on Macbook Pro computers is to change the title of the account itself. Again, do remain logged out of the user you need to adjust.
Remember, the title you gave the home folder has to match when learning how to change the admin name on Mac computers. After, you can follow the steps below.
- Click on the Apple menu, then select “System Preferences.”
- When on the home screen of this app, select the “Users & Groups” section.
- Press on the lock icon and enter the new administrator account’s password.
- Press “Control” on the keyboard, and click on your original user account to make changes to its name.
- Choose the “Advanced Options” menu.
- In the “Account Name” field, enter the same title you gave the home folder.
- In the field next to the phrase “Home Directory,” enter the name after “/Users.”
- Press “Ok.”
- Restart your Mac device, and sign in to the original user account with the changed name.
If the new title does not show up, the account and home folder names likely do not match. You should double-check each one and go through the process above for whichever option is wrong. After the above steps, however, you should know how to change the admin name on Mac computers successfully.
Change Your Mac Password
Now that you know how to change the admin name on Macbook Pro computers, you may find it beneficial to learn how to do the same to your password. You would want to know the below information if someone stole your password, hacked your computer, or if you forgot your login details.
When You Know Your Password
If you know your password, the process is simple when changing it. Use the below steps if you need an update or if someone hacked your computer.
- Click on the Apple menu, then press “System Preferences.”
- Select the “Users & Groups” section.
- Press on the lock icon
- Click on your new user name, then select “Change Password.”
- Follow the instructions that show up.
When You Do Not Know Your Password
If you do not know your password, there are alternate steps you need to take. Read more about these below.
- At the login screen, continue entering the wrong password three times.
- Wait for a message saying to reset your password using your Apple ID.
- Press “Next” and follow the instructions.
- Restart your computer and log in with the new password.
Change the Administrative Settings on Your Mac
This article should give you a firm understanding of how to change the admin name on Mac computers. It does take three steps to complete the process.
First, you will need to create a new administrator account to make adjustments to the original user settings. Next, change the title of the home folder on your device. Finally, you will have to adjust the account name, ensuring that it matches the previous step.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence