How to Change the Color of a PNG in Photoshop
Adobe Photoshop is one of the most powerful tools you can use for editing any image. Some of the most common file types for photos include RAW, JPG, and PNG pictures.
PNG files are some of the most difficult to edit, but Photoshop is a powerful tool. You can learn how to change the color of a PNG in Photoshop using the step-by-step guide below. This feature is just one of the many exciting features of this platform.
Step-by-Step Guide to Change the Color of a PNG in Photoshop
This step-by-step guide will help you learn how to edit a PNG file in Photoshop to change its color.
How to Import PNG into Photoshop
The first part of learning how to change the color of a PNG in Photoshop is to import the image. Sometimes, these files do not show correctly in the software program if you use Photoshop 2018. You will see a mosaic of pixels instead of the image.
Import the File
You can try to learn how to import PNG into Photoshop normally first. Use the steps below to complete this process.
- Open Adobe Photoshop on your computer.
- Click on the “File” menu.
- Press “New.”
- Provide a name for the PNG file.
- Click on the “File” menu again.
- Press “Open.”
- Choose the PNG on your computer that you want to open.
- Click “Open.”
If you edited the PNG recently, you will find it in the option labeled “Open Recent.” It is under the “File” menu.
Fix the PNG Error
You can fix any error you encounter when trying to open your PNG in Photoshop. Follow the below steps after you initially attempt to open the file.
- Click on the “Preferences” menu.
- Press “Plug-Ins,” followed by “Filters & Extensions Panels.”
- Choose the appropriate boxes that correlate to a PNG file.
- Exit Photoshop.
- Open a new project in Photoshop and upload your PNG again.
This process will disable the Creative Cloud libraries. You do not have to use third-party software to convert the PNG files to JPG photos first when using this method.
Change how transparent the layers of your image are with the Fade Tool. You can also apply it to filters you put on your photos.
After opening the Fade Tool, move the slider to the left or right to adjust its intensity. This movement will change the transparency of the filter or layer.
Create a Transparent Layer
You should create a transparent layer on top of your original PNG. This process will prevent you from having to fix any errors you make on the uploaded file. Learn how to Photoshop replace color with transparent layer and make that new overlay with the below steps.
- Click on the “Layer” panel on the right side of the screen.
- Press “New,” followed by “Layer.”
- Provide a name for the new layer and press “Ok.”
- Click on the new layer in the “Layers” panel.
- Find the opacity icon and click on the dropdown menu.
- Drag the slider until the layer is completely transparent. It should be at 0%.
Use Color Overlay
The first method to learn how to change the color of a PNG in Photoshop is to adjust the color overlay. The steps required for this method are in the list below.
- Click on “Image” in the menu at the top of the Photoshop window.
- Press “Mode,” followed by “Color RGB.”
- Click on the “fx” icon at the bottom of the scren to open the “Effects” panel.
- Choose the “Color Overlay” option.
- Click on the color icon.
- Choose the color you want to use on your PNG.
- Press “Ok” until you get back to the project screen.
Make Hue and Saturation Layers
You can also learn how to change the color of a PNG in Photoshop by adding a hue and saturation layer. When editing your PNG this way, you can select the entire photo or specific parts. This process works with a file that already has color, as seen in the steps below.
- Select the entire image or use the lasso tool on the left side of the screen. This feature lets you select a specific part of your image.
- Find the “Layers” panel on the right side of the screen. Click on the icon that resembles a half-filled circle.
- Choose “Hue/Saturation” in the pop-up window.
- Look for the new layer that shows up. It lets you adjust the hue and saturation.
- Wait for the “Properties” panel to load.
- Drag the Hue slider to change the color.
- Drag the Saturation slider to make the image black and white or colored.
- Make your image lighter or darker by moving the Lightness slider.
Adjust a White Image Using the Sliders Above
You can learn how to edit a PNG file in Photoshop if the image is white. The steps above will not do much as these photos do not have color. Learn how to change the look of your white PNG files with the below steps.
- Use the same “Properties” panel in the “Hue/Saturation” layer.
- Move the same sliders mentioned above. You may notice that they do not do much at first.
- Check the box next to the word “Colorize.”
You can add proportion to your images to make them look 3D by using Perspective Warp. You can find it under the “Edit” menu.
Click on the image with the new cursor that appears to start editing. Pin one part of the graphic, manipulating the rest of it until you reach the effect you want.
Use the Color Replacement Tool
Using the color replacement tool is the method that is best if your PNG files are white or black. You must right-click on the brush to access it, using the below steps after.
- Open the Color Replacement tool.
- Wait for the Options bar to load at the top of the screen.
- In the dropdown menu next to “Mode,” select “Color.”
- Select the first icon to change the color of the entire image.
- On the left toolbar, look for the option that resembles two colored blocks overlapping each other.
- Double-click on the front color block.
- Paint over the portions of the image you want to change to your selected color.
You can change the background color of your PNG files using the opposite color box in the toolbar. Double-click on it and select the option you want to use when learning how to edit a PNG file in Photoshop.
If you want to be an expert in photo editing, you have to have a workspace that works for your needs. It is essential to have the tools you use most easily accessible.
Arrange your panels by dragging and dropping them in Photoshop. Click on “Options,” followed by “Workspaces,” to check the menus you want to see.
Can You Recolor a PNG?
Technically, you can change the color of PNG files. These images are of the highest quality. They also lose some resolution after editing.
The easiest way to change the color of a PNG and keep it high quality is to convert it into a more manageable file type. In Photoshop, you can work with multiple layers to avoid losing quality.
How Do I Change a PNG from Black to White in Photoshop?
You have to start from scratch when changing Photoshop PNG files from black and white. Use the “Quick Selection” tool to find a new color for the background.
After you choose a color, select the “overlay” blend. Correct any areas where the colors go outside the borders. Do the same for the subject of the photos.
Change the Color of a PNG in Photoshop
You should feel comfortable learning how to change the color of a PNG in Photoshop after reading this article. Sometimes, it is difficult to upload your file correctly into the software. You have to change properties of the program to start the editing process.
After you import the photo, you should start an adjustment layer. Finally, you can use one of the aforementioned methods to change the color of your images.
The first method you can use for your adjustments is the color overlay. Second, you can use the color selection tool to change specific portions of your picture.
The easiest way to adjust the color of your PNG is to add a hue or saturation layer. Move the sliders to achieve the best results. If your photo is white or black, use the color block images in the toolbar on the left side of the screen.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence