How to Deactivate TikTok Account Temporarily
TikTok is a newer social media platform that is especially popular among the younger generation. Anyone can use the platform to watch short video clips or create content. Some individuals find that they quickly fall in love with what TikTok offers, leading them to spend entirely too much time on the platform.
Although TikTok can help you make new connections and develop followers, you can have too much of a good thing. Thankfully, you can take a break by learning how to deactivate a TikTok account temporarily. Learn how to in the information below.
If you have children who want to use TikTok, consider turning on restricted mode. This feature will make any inappropriate content on the social media platform inaccessible.
You will have to visit your app’s settings to start the process. After, click on “digital wellbeing,” turn it on, and create a passcode.
Effects of Deactivating TikTok
If you want to deactivate TikTok, you need to understand the difference between deleting permanently and temporarily. When you delete your account for the long term, you will lose all your data.
If you only want to learn how to deactivate a TikTok account temporarily, there are only minimal effects. See some of those consequences in the list below.
- Temporary lack of access to your account information
- Temporary lack of access to your uploaded videos
- Inability to get a refund for any of your purchases
- Other users will still see your chat messages
Deactivate a TikTok Account Temporarily on the Mobile App
The steps required for learning how to deactivate a TikTok account temporarily are the same for deleting your account. You will have 30 days from the time you use the steps below to restore your profile.
- Log in to your account using your username and password.
- Click on your profile icon in the bottom right corner.
- Press on the three dots in the top right corner to open the menu.
- Tap “Manage My Account.”
- Press “Delete Account.”
- Follow the prompts to send a security code to your email address or phone number. Press “Send code.”
- Enter the provided security code. Click “Continue.”
- Press “Delete Account” again.
Restoring Your TikTok Account on the Mobile App
After learning how to deactivate a TikTok account temporarily, you have to understand how to restore it. Again, if you wait until after the 30-day timeframe passed, you will permanently lose everything. You will need to use the steps below for the restoration process.
- Download TikTok again from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Open the app and enter your username and password to log in like normal.
- When the pop-up box shows up, press “Reactivate.”
- Your videos and data will automatically load.
Deactivate a TikTok Account Temporarily on a Computer Browser
You can also learn how to deactivate a TikTok account temporarily by logging into a computer browser. You can use the provided steps below to start the process.
- Open a browser of your choice on the computer and type in www.tiktok.com.
- Log in to your account using your username and password.
- Enter your email address or phone number for verification purposes if necessary.
- Type in the verification code and proceed.
- Click on your profile picture to get to your account.
- Press “Settings.” Go to the section labeled “Delete Account.”
- Click “Delete” to start the deactivation process.
- Enter your email address or phone number, and press “Send Code.”
- Type in the provided code and confirm the information.
- Press “Delete Account.”
Restoring a TikTok Account Using Your Computer
The process for restoring your TikTok account on the computer is similar to the steps required on the mobile app. You can use the process outlined below within 30 days from the date that you deleted your profile.
- Open the browser you prefer to use on your computer.
- Type in www.tiktok.com.
- Enter your username and password as if logging in to your account like normal.
- When the pop-up shows up to restore your account, press “reactivate.”
- Click on your profile picture to ensure all of your old followers and posts are there.
Anyone can follow you on TikTok if you have a public account. Thankfully, the social media platform will let you remove followers you do not want to contact you.
Go to your profile, and tap on the “followers” button. Tap on the three dots next to the individual’s name and press “remove this follower.”
Troubleshooting Tips for Restoring Your TikTok Account
As mentioned, if you want to learn how to deactivate a TikTok account temporarily, you have to also understand how to restore it. This latter step is the only way to get your information back after you take a break.
Unfortunately, sometimes, the restoration process does not go according to plan. There are some troubleshooting tips that you can consider, including those below.
Check the Date You Deleted Your Account
The best troubleshooting tip is to check the date you initially deleted your account. You should receive an email that shows confirmation of the completed deactivation.
There is nothing you can do if the date on the confirmation email is more than 30 days ago. TikTok automatically deletes accounts 30 days after users deactivate them.
Some users report that they cannot get into their TikTok even if they only deactivated their accounts a few days ago. The best step to take in this situation is to contact TikTok.
They have experts who can fix any bug preventing account access. They will also ensure that your email address and phone number are up to date.
When you add closed captions to your TikTok videos, you make them more accessible to people with hearing impairments. TikTok makes the process relatively easy, as seen below.
When editing your video, tap “text” and customize it. Press on the words and click “set duration” to have closed captions over the entirety of your video.
Deactivate TikTok Permanently
If you decide that you no longer need TikTok, you can learn how to delete TikTok account information permanently. The social media platform does give you a waiting period of 30 days just in case you change your mind.
There is no way to expedite this process, so if you decide you still want TikTok, make sure to sign back into your account before the 30 days is over. Learn how to delete TikTok account information using any of the methods below.
Delete TikTok via the iPhone App
You can use the steps below to delete your TikTok account via the app on your iPhone.
- Open TikTok on your iPhone after downloading it from the Apple App Store.
- Tap on the profile tab in the bottom right corner.
- Click on the icon that resembles three dots to access the menu.
- Press “Manage Account.”
- Tap “Delete Account.”
- When the confirmation message shows up, press “Delete Account” again.
Delete TikTok via the Android App
The steps required to delete TikTok via the Android app are very similar to those for the iPhone, as seen below.
- Open the TikTok app on your Android device after downloading it from the Google Play store.
- Press on the profile tab in the lower right corner.
- Click on the three dots in the top right corner to access the menu.
- Tap “Manage Account.”
- Press “Delete Account” found towards the bottom of the list.
- Tap “Continue” to finalize the process.
Delete TikTok via Your Computer
Finally, you can learn how to delete TikTok account information by using your computer. You will have to know your username and password to use the steps below.
- Open the browser of your choice and type in www.tiktok.com.
- Sign in to your account by entering your username and password.
- Click on your profile picture.
- Press “Settings” when the profile loads.
- Look for the section labeled “Delete Account.”
- Click on “Delete” next to the aforementioned section.
Some TikTok users find that the social media platform does not delete their accounts as needed. Most of the time, the reasons behind these problems are easy to fix.
Lack of Contact Information
Even if you know your username and password, you will be unable to delete your TikTok account without your contact information. Add either your email address or phone number by visiting the settings page on your profile.
Once you get to your account settings, you will press “Manage Account.” Select “Email” to enter an email address or “Phone Number” to type in your number.
If you want to use the app to delete your TikTok account, it may encounter a bug of some form. The easiest way to fix this problem is to force quit the software.
Start by exiting and re-entering the TikTok app on your mobile device. If this process does not work, delete the software and download it again from the app store available on your smartphone. With the latter method, you will have to log back into your account again.
TikTok makes it easy to delete any videos you no longer want on your account. You will visit your profile and select the media you want to remove.
Tap on the three horizontal dots on the bottom right corner. After, you will look for the trash can icon or the button that says “delete.”
Deactivate or Delete Your TikTok
Learn how to deactivate a TikTok account temporarily with the information above. Log in to the social media platform on the website or mobile app, navigate to your settings, and press “Delete Account” to begin.
When permanently or temporarily deleting your TikTok account, you will need to provide your email address or phone number to receive a confirmation code. After you get the code, type it in the provided text box to confirm the deactivation.
Remember, if you want to restore your TikTok account after temporarily deleting it, you only have 30 days. After that timeframe, TikTok will permanently remove your profile.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence