How to Delete Emails Fast on Gmail
Gmail is one of the most popular email servers that users worldwide use for several purposes. Many individuals, over even just a few months, accrue hundreds and thousands of messages. These emails take up unnecessary space and make your Gmail account look unorganized.
You can learn how to delete emails fast on Gmail, especially if you have a significant number of them in your inbox. You will be in charge of the messages you need to erase. The methods below will also help you mass delete your emails in Gmail so that you do not have to waste significant time.
After you delete an email in Gmail, you can quickly undo your selection. Click the button labeled “undo” that appears at the top of the screen.
Delete Emails on the Gmail Website
When at home or in the office, most people access their Gmail through the website. You can learn how to delete emails fast on Gmail through the browser using the methods below.
Use Gmail Filters to Delete Unread Messages
If you only need to delete unread messages in Gmail, use filters. The steps below will help you learn this method.
1. Click on the search box and type “is:unread.”
2. Under the search box, press the button on the left that resembles a box with a check mark through it. This icon allows you to select all of the messages.
3. Press “Select All Conversations That Match This Search.”
4. De-select any unread emails you need to keep, and press the trash icon. Confirm your action by clicking “Ok.”
Delete All Read Emails
You can also learn how to delete emails fast on Gmail if you read them already. The steps are very similar to those required for unread messages.
1. Click on the search bar and type “label:read.”
2. Press the select all box.
3. Click the button labeled “Select All Conversations That Match This Search.”
4. Press the trash can icon.
Use Advanced Search Features
You can use the advanced search features to learn how to delete old emails in Gmail or those from a specific sender. Use the steps below to get started.
1. Click on the down arrow in the search bar at the top of the screen.
2. Wait for the advanced search popup window to appear.
3. Press the search icon. It will resemble a blue button with a magnifying glass in it.
4. Press the “Select all” icon, followed by the “Trash” icon.
In the advanced search window, enter information for who you sent or received the email from. You can also type in a keyword that may appear in the subject line. Finally, type in the words that the email should or should not have before you search your inbox.
You can also change your selections to just those emails in your inbox. Click on the downward-facing arrow in the search bar, and press “Inbox.”
When you own a Gmail account, the company will permanently delete any emails in your trash folder after 30 days. If you want to speed up this process, click on “Trash” in the left menu. After, select the option given for permanently deleting the emails.
Use the Select All Button on Its Own
You do not even need to use the advanced settings or the search bar if you want to get rid of all of your messages. Learn more by using the steps below.
1. Go to www.gmail.com and click on the appropriate tab that contains the emails you want to delete.
2. Click on the select all box.
3. If you have more than 50 emails, select the “Select All X Conversations in Primary, Social or Promotions” button.
4. Press the trash can.
5. Confirm your selection by pressing “Ok.”
Change Your Filter Settings
You can change the settings within your account to learn how to delete emails fast on Gmail too. Use the steps below to begin.
- Go to www.gmail.com and log in to your account.
- Click on the gear icon, and press “Settings.”
- Scroll down to “Filters,” and press “Create a New Filter.”
- Type in the details you want to filter out of your inbox. These may include information on specific email addresses, subjects, keywords, or dates.
- Click “Create Filter with this Search.”
- Check the box next to the words “Delete It.” Leave another checkmark by the “Also Apply Filter to ### Matching Conversations Below” option.
- Press “Create Filter.”
You can remove any filter if you change your mind. Scroll back over to your Gmail settings and press “Delete” under the option you need to erase.
How to Mass Delete Emails on iPhone Devices
You can learn how to mass delete Gmail emails on iPhone devices to get rid of your messages quickly. The Gmail app is available for you to download from the Apple App Store.
- Download Gmail from the Apple App Store.
- Choose the appropriate folder for learning how to delete emails in bulk on iPhone devices.
- On the left of the email, tap on the round icon.
- Press the trash icon after you select each email.
As you can see, without using a third-party application, there is no way to learn how to delete emails in bulk on iPhone devices. You can, however, link your Gmail account to the Mail app.
Mass Delete Emails in the Mail App
The Mail app lets you learn how to mass delete emails on iPhone devices. It has a few more features than the Gmail app.
Link your Gmail
Before you learn how to mass delete Gmail emails on iPhone devices with the mail app, you have to understand how to link your Gmail account. Use the steps below to begin.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down to the “Mail” option and click it.
- Press on the option labeled “Accounts.”
- Tap on “Add Account,” then select “Gmail.”
- Enter your Gmail address and your password.
- Press “Next” and wait for the verification process to finalize.
- Tap “Save.”
Delete Multiple Messages
After you get your Gmail account linked, you can start learning how to mass delete Gmail emails on iPhone devices. Start with the steps below to erase multiple messages.
- Open the Mail app.
- Tap on “Inbox.”
- Press “Edit” in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Tap “Select All” to delete all of your emails.
- If you only want to delete some emails, individually choose each one. You will press on the circle that appears next to the messages.
- Tap “Trash.”
If the “Trash” button does not appear, you can hold down the “Archive” option. You should see “Trash Selected Messages” show up. Click that button.
Delete Individual Messages
If you do not want to know how to mass delete emails on iPhone devices, you can erase individual messages. You can use the required steps below.
- Open the Mail app and click on “Inbox.”
- Swipe left on the email you need to delete.
- Press “Trash.”
Delete Gmail Emails on Androids
You can also learn how to delete emails fast on Gmail through Android devices. Start by downloading the Gmail app through the Google Play store if it is not already on your phone. After, follow the steps outlined below.
- Open the Gmail app on your Android.
- Select the folder that has the emails that you need to delete.
- Press on the round icon on the left of the email.
- Continue selecting messages by pressing the round icon next to each message.
- Press the icon that resembles a trashcan to delete your messages.
As you may understand, this method is somewhat tedious when you want to quickly delete emails from your account. You would have to scroll for a long time to get back to old messages that you need to erase.
There are both third-party apps and websites available to you to use to learn how to delete emails fast on Gmail. Utilize one of the trusted options below to get started.
The two third-party apps mentioned below are email cleaners. They are powerful tools that will quickly erase the messages you no longer need.
Clean.Email will quickly erase any messages that are still in your inbox that you do not need. Not only does this app let you erase your emails, but it will also help you archive them and organize them in the way that you want.
The app will start to learn about the emails that you typically delete after you link them to your Gmail account. It will show you the messages it found in your inbox that you may want to get rid of, and all you have to do is click a button to confirm.
To eliminate how many emails you need to delete, Clean.Email will also help you unsubscribe from unnecessary promotional messages. It will allow you to block any senders you no longer want to hear from so that you do not have as much to clean up.
Chuck – Smarter Email is a mobile app that will help you learn how to delete emails in bulk on iPhone or Android devices. It links to all your inboxes at once, including your Gmail account.
With the click of a button, you can filter your messages to determine those you need to delete from your account. The app also lets you snooze your emails until later and mark some as spam. Finally, you can unsubscribe from specific companies that send you an overabundance of messages.
Chuck – Smarter Email is free to download from whichever app store you use. It does offer purchases within the software, however.
Use these Websites
There are a couple of websites that will help you delete your emails. Learn more by continuing to read below.
Mailstrom is a website that you can link to Gmail, Yahoo, or Outlook email accounts. You only have to click a few buttons to ensure you get rid of hundreds or thousands of useless messages.
Filter the emails in your account by date, sender, or size. When you receive your results, press the delete button to clear away the unnecessary messages.
Sometimes, the unnecessary emails you receive may come from subscriptions from companies and other organizations, as mentioned. Unroll.me is the perfect tool to help you unsubscribe from these messages with the click of a button.
Link your email address on the website to see a breakdown of all of the subscriptions you have. Press “Unsubscribe” next to any options you no longer need. You will immediately stop receiving emails from these businesses and other individuals who send you near-constant messages.
Whenever you delete emails on Gmail, the company will send you a confirmation. At the bottom of the screen, you will see a message that says “All Conversations Moved to Trash.” If you want to double-check this confirmation, however, you only have to click on the trash tab in the left menu.
Mass Delete Emails Today
It is easy to learn how to delete emails fast on Gmail. On the browser, you can use search filters or advanced features to quickly select the exact messages you need to erase. You can also change your email settings to automatically delete.
On mobile devices, you have to manually select the emails you want to delete. Linking your Gmail to the Mail app on iPhones, however, allows you to select multiple messages at once.
Finally, some third-party apps and websites will automatically detect the emails you may want to erase. They will also help you develop filters for your accounts and complete the unsubscribing proce
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence