How to Do a Mail Merge in Gmail
Performing a mail merge is one of the best marketing tactics you can use for your customers and audience members. You can send a personalized message to any person interested in your company.
Gmail is one of the best platforms for creating a mail merge. You can build an address book in Google Sheets and use an add-on after to send your messages.
You can learn how to do a mail merge in Gmail using the step-by-step guide below. This process is great if you want to start marketing to your customers.
How to Create a Mail Merge with Gmail
This step-by-step guide will help you learn how to do a mail merge in Gmail. There are a couple of methods you can use, depending on if you want to include attachments.
How to Use Mail Merge in Gmail
Below, you will find the information you need to learn how to do a mail merge in Gmail. You have to start with a spreadsheet, develop a template, and send your message in the end.
Make a Spreadsheet with the Email Addresses You Want to Use
The first step in learning how to use mail merge in Gmail is to make the spreadsheet. You have to build a list of the email addresses you want to include in the document.
You can import your Google Contacts list or enter it manually. Each of the steps is in detail below.
Import Your Google Contacts to Google Sheets
First, you can import your Google Contacts list to Google Sheets. This method will save you some time in the process. The steps required are below.
1. Go to www.contacts.google.com and log in to your account.
2. Click on “Export” on the left side of the screen.
3. Choose “For Mail Merge” under “Export contacts.”
4. Select the “Google CSV” format under “Export As.”
5. Click on “Export.”
6. Wait for the CSV file to download to your computer.
7. Go to www.sheets.google.com and log in to your account.
8. Click on “Blank” to start a new document.
9. Press “File” in the menu options.
10. Click on “Open.”
11. Press the “Upload” tab when the pop-up window opens.
12. Choose “Select a File from Your Device” and upload the document.
13. Wait for the new spreadsheet to launch.
The new spreadsheet will show everything from your Google Contacts list. It will have the name, email, IP address, and gender.
Manually Create a Contacts List
If you do not use Google Contacts, you can manually create your spreadsheet. Follow the below steps to learn more.
1. Go to www.sheets.google.com and log in to your account.
2. Click on “Blank” to start a new document.
3. Make column headers in the first row of your document. Write “First Name” in A1, “Last Name” in B1, and “Email” in C1.
4. Type the corresponding data in each cell in the appropriate column.
5. Click on the “File” menu.
6. Press “Rename” and change the title of your spreadsheet.
You can download the spreadsheet if you need the information for later use. Click on “Download as,” followed by “Comma Separated Values.” It will open in any spreadsheet creation software.
Create an Email Template
The next step in learning how to do a mail merge in Gmail is to make your email template. It has to be in Gmail, as seen in the below steps.
1. Go to www.gmail.com and log in to your account.
2. Press the button labeled “New Message” to start an email.
3. Type the message you want to include in your mail merge. Use double curly brackets for where you want to put placeholders or other personalized details.
4. Save the message as a draft.
The final step in learning how to do a mail merge in Gmail is sending the message. The required steps are in the information below.
1. Go back to www.sheets.google.com and log in to your account.
2. Locate the document you want to use for your mail merge.
3. Click on “Mail Merge.”
4. Press “Send Emails” in the menu.
5. Give the script proper authorizations when the pop-up window appears.
6. Press “Mail Merge” again.
7. Click “Send Emails” again.
8. Copy and paste the subject line of the email template.
9. Press “Ok.”
How to Do a Google Mail Merge with Attachments
You can also learn how to do a mail merge in Gmail with attachments. You can provide any filters and personalizations needed using the below steps and an add-on in Google Sheets.
1. Go to www.sheets.google.com and log in to your account.
2. Find the Google sheet you need for the mail merge.
3. Press “Add-on” while in Google Sheets.
4. Choose one of the available mail merge add-ons (GMass, Yet Another Mail Merge).
5. Provide the alias and filters you want to use.
6. Personalize your attachment if needed.
7. Press “Back.”
8. Click “Send Emails.”
9. Go to www.gmail.com and log in to your account.
10. Check the “Sent” folder to ensure they send.
What is the Best Mail Merge for Gmail?
You can use several add-ons for the best mail merge for Gmail. Read more about each of the options in the list below.
GMass is the most popular add-on that you can use for the best mail merge for Google Docs. GMass lets you select any of the columns in your spreadsheet with the personalization options available. You can also send multiple messages at one time to the contacts in your list.
- GMass is available as an add-on in Google Sheets or as a Google Chrome extension.
- You can upgrade the send limits in GMass with a premium subscription.
- You can send cold emails to everyone in your address book.
- You can build lists automatically.
- GMass only works with Gmail.
- GMass only has features that are compatible with Google Sheets.
- There are no email templates available with a GMass subscription.
- You have to pay for the standard GMass plan.
2. Yet Another Mail Merge
Yet Another Mail Merge is another app you can use for this process. You can send emails directly that arrive straight to someone’s primary inbox. Yet Another Mail Merge lets you track the results of any of the projects you try to use with this add-on tool.
- You can personalize any of your emails seamlessly. It lets you adjust the names, business information, and addresses.
- There are thousands of email templates you can use with the add-on to easily send your messages.
- You can track your email campaigns to determine how successful they are.
- You have to be an expert to understand how the email tracking tools work.
- Yet Another Mail Merge does not work on the Gmail app or the mobile browser.
- You have to abide by Gmail sending limits, meaning the process can become tedious.
Mailmeteor is a new add-on, but it is one of the best options available on Gmail. There are over three million users that use this tool. The team wanted to make mail merge software that was easy to learn and that allowed you to perform marketing seamlessly.
- Mailmeteor has some of the highest ratings of the mail merge add-ons.
- Mailmeteor is extremely user-friendly and anyone can learn it in a matter of minutes.
- Mailmeteor keeps your information private to avoid you having to worry about security issues.
- Mailmeteor lacks some of the advanced features found in other tools.
- There are no sales engagement tools built-in to the tool.
- There is a payment you have to make to use Mailmeteor on Gmail.
Autocrat is an easy-to-use mail merge tool that lets you send mass messages from any PDF or spreadsheet. You can link your Google Sheets, Microsoft Excel, or Adobe files. The process is completely automatic when you use Autocrat, and it lets you build a document using a template.
- Autocrat lets you work with any type of document. It is compatible with Google Sheets, Microsoft Excel, and Adobe products.
- Autocrat lets you personalize documents to mail merge them in the way you want.
- There are templates available for you to use if you want to send the entire documents as email.
- Autocrat can be confusing to learn for those who are new to using mail merge software.
- Autocrat does not have as many advanced features as some of the other add-ons listed.
- Autocrat has a fee if you want to access the few premium features that are available on the platform.
5. Mail Merge
Mail Merge is the most generic of the add-ons available on this list. It is the most simplistic, as the name implies. You can send your email to all of you customers without having to list them off one-by-one.
- Mail Merge lets you write one email, sending it to all of the contacts you list.
- You do not have to manually enter the information for each customer. It will automatically appear personalized.
- You can send hundreds of emails in a matter of minutes in Mail Merge.
- Mail Merge sometimes lacks a personal touch since you send generic messages.
- You have to keep your database up-to-date to ensure the information goes through properly.
6. Mail Merge with Attachments
The Mail Merge with Attachments add-on was described in detail in the information above. You can include BCC and CC recipients using this software, and every message is personalized to your needs. You can track the email to ensure the recipient opens it and reads it as they should.
- You can include several different types of recipients using this software program.
- You can track your emails after you send them.
- It lets you personalize your attachments as needed.
- The personalization details can feel overwhelming for new customers.
- You can face difficulties in using the mail merge.
7. Form Mule
Form Mule is an email merge utility. It helps you communicate with your customers and coworkers with ease. You can target specific audience members to ensure they get the information you need them to know.
- Form Mule lets you send personalized emails to those individuals who are around you.
- You can run both manual and automatic mail merges using Form Mule.
- You can submit your messages on a timer if you want to send them at a later date.
- This best mail merge for Gmail requires you to only use Gmail or Google Sheets to send your emails.
- There is no customer support available if you run into technical issues.
Make a Mail Merge in Gmail
You should know now how to do a mail merge in Gmail. You have to make a spreadsheet, create a template, and use an add-on to get your required details.
To make your template, you will build a draft in Gmail. After, you can select the add-on you want to use to personalize your messages with ease.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence