How to Double Space on the Google Docs App
Google Docs is popular among individuals from every walk of life, including business representatives and personal users.
It allows for the creation of documents without needing anything more than a Google account.
You can also collaborate with others if you want to share ideas when working on a specific project.
Documents you create within Google Docs will save automatically, and you can go back to them at any time to continue working.
You can perform many of the same edits that software like Microsoft word offers. You can even learn how to double space on the Google Docs app, as seen in the information below.
Change Line Spacing
If you want to create a professional-looking document, you need to learn how to change line spacing in Google Docs. Doing these types of edits will help you define paragraphs and sections in your paper.
When you change the line spacing in Google Docs, you adjust the height. If you single-space a document, for instance, there will only be one line between your rows.
The smaller the line spacing you choose, the more words you can fit on a page. The higher the space is, the more readable your document will be.
Whether you want to learn how to double space on the Google Docs app or single, for instance, you can use the steps below. They vary depending on if you want to use a browser or mobile app.
Adjust Line Spacing on the Browser
After you type a section of your document, you can adjust the line spacing using the steps below.
- With your mouse, highlight the text you need to format.
- On the toolbar, select the icon that resembles line spacing. It looks like three horizontal lines with an arrow next to them.
- Choose the option you want to implement or use custom spacing.
- Wait for the adjustments to finalize.
In the custom spacing option, you will enter the size you want, after which you click “Apply.”
Change Line Spacing on the App
Google Docs is available as a mobile app on both iPhones and Androids. The steps are slightly different for the type of device that you have.
To change the line spacing on an Android, use the steps below.
1. Go to the Google Play store and download Google Docs.
2. Sign in to your account.
3. Create a new document or open one saved to the Cloud.
4. Press “Edit.”
5. Double-tap the place in your document that you want to adjust.
6. Tap “Format,” then “Paragraph.”
7. Look for the section labeled “Line Spacing.”
8. Make adjustments with the arrows.
To learn how to change line spacing in Google Docs on an iPhone, continue reading below.
1. Open the Apple App Store and download Google Docs.
2. Log in to your account and select the document you want to edit.
3. Tap “Edit,” then double-tap on the location you want to adjust.
4. Move the blue markers if you need to select a different portion of text.
5. Press “Format,” then “Paragraph.”
6. Look for the section labeled “Line Spacing,” and make adjustments using the arrows.
Double-Space in Google Docs
As you may know by now, you can learn how to double space on the Google Docs app or browser. Read below to learn more.
Double-Space in the Browser
To learn how to double-space in Google Docs on the browser, you can use the toolbar or the menu.
Double Space Using the Toolbar
The toolbar is the easiest way to double space in Google Docs, as seen in the steps below.
- On a browser go to docs.google.com and sign in.
- Find the paper you want to edit or start typing in a blank document.
- Highlight the text with the cursor.
- Look for the line spacing icon in the toolbar, and press “Double.”
Double Space Using the Google Docs Menu
When on a browser, you can also use the menu options to double space your document. Get started using the steps below.
- Type in docs.google.com in the browser of your choice.
- Sign in to your account.
- Start a new document or open one that needs edits.
- Highlight the text in the document.
- Click on the menu labeled “Format.”
- Hover your cursor over the “Line Spacing” option.
- Choose “Double.”
Double Space Using the Google Docs App
As mentioned, Google Docs is available on both Androids and iPhones. You can learn how to double space on the Google Docs app using the steps below.
1. Download Google Docs from the Google Play store or the Apple App Store.
2. Log in to your account.
3. Start a new document or open the one you want to edit.
4. On the bottom right corner, press the blue button labeled “Edit.”
5. Highlight the text by double-clicking it, then dragging the markers to select the area you want to edit.
6. Tap the “Format” icon.
7. Select the “Paragraph” tab.
8. Use the arrows to increase the spacing to “2.”
9. Click the checkmark on the bottom left corner.
Line Spacing not Working
If you perform the above steps and the line spaces do not adjust, Google Docs likely automatically adjusted to custom spacing. To fix this problem, you can use Google Docs on the browser.
1. Go to docs.google.com and log in.
2. Highlight the portion of your text that did not adjust.
3. Click on the line spacing tool in the toolbar.
4. Select to either remove or add space before the paragraph.
5. Press the button to add space before and after the paragraphs.
6. Repeat the steps until your document looks as it should.
Tips for Line Spacing on Google Docs
If you want to change the spacing between paragraphs, there are two tools you can use under the “Line Spacing” icon. The first is “Remove Space before Paragraph,” and the second is “Add Space After Paragraph.”
If you want to keep the headings and font the same when adjusting the line spacing, you only have to press “Keep with Next.” To keep all of the lines the same, click “Keep Lines Together.”
Finally, Google Docs will automatically adjust to single lines before a new paragraph. To change this, press “Prevent Single Lines.”
Spacing between Words
If you want to learn more about Google Docs spacing between words, you can use the below information. The software lacks the actual edit controls like Microsoft Word, but there is a workaround.
Find and Replace on the Browser
Find and Replace is available when you want to increase Google Docs spacing between words. You can learn how to increase or decrease the spacing between words using this feature in the steps below.
1. Go to docs.google.com and log in to your account.
2. Highlight the appropriate text in your document and press “Edit.”
3. Choose “Find and Replace.”
4. In the “Find” field, press your spacebar one time.
5. In the “Replace” field, press the spacebar however many times you want to increase the word spacing by.
6. Click “Replace All.”
Find and Replace on an Android
You can also use Find and Replace on Android. Download the Google Docs app from the Google Play store, and use the steps below.
- Open Google Docs and log in to your account.
- Select the appropriate document for editing.
- Press “More,” followed by “Find and Replace.”
- In the “Find” field, press the spacebar once.
- Click “Search.”
- Select “More,” followed by “Replace All.”
- In the field, press the spacebar two or more times. Tap “Replace All.”
- Press “Done.”
Find and Replace on an iPhone
Finally, Find and Replace is accessible on an iPhone too. Many of the steps are the same as those you will use on an Android, as seen below.
1. Download Google Docs from the Apple App Store and open the app.
2. Log in to your account and select the document you want to edit.
3. Press “More,” followed by “Find and Replace.”
4. Type in one single space with the spacebar and tap “Search.”
5. Tap “Replace with” and press the spacebar two or more times.
6. Press “All.”
7. To finish, press “Close.”
Adjust Line Spacing in Google Docs
By now, you should understand how to double space on the Google Docs app and browser. You can make any spacing adjustments, however, using the “Line Spacing” icon, including custom edits.
Google Docs also allows you to adjust the spaces between words using the “Find and Replace” tool. You only have to change how many times you enter the spacebar.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence