How to Export Email Addresses From Gmail to Excel
If you have a Google account, you can use Google Contacts to access any information for individuals added manually or automatically. This information is only accessible when connected to the internet, however, so you may want to learn how to export email addresses from Gmail to Excel. After completing this process, you will always have a backup document of all of the information you need for your contacts.
Thankfully, exporting your Google contacts to Excel is a simple process that you can do on the browser or the mobile app. Within just a few minutes, you will have access to all of the information you need in a spreadsheet. Continue reading below to see a step-by-step guide to learn how to export contacts from Gmail to Excel.
Exporting Gmail Contacts to Excel Documents
Export to CSV
As mentioned, it is easy to learn how to export email addresses from Gmail to Excel. In a browser, you can type in contacts.google.com to start. After, log in to your Google account to start the exporting process.
Export from Gmail
The first step in this process is to import your contact list to Excel. There are two methods, depending on if you use the older or newer version of Google Contacts.
If you still want to utilize the older version of Google Contacts, you will need to follow the steps below to learn how to export contacts from Gmail to Excel.
- After logging in to Google Contacts, click on the word “More” on the left side of the screen.
- When the dropdown menu loads, press the “Export” button.
- Use the Google CSV version to keep a copy in your Google account and an additional one that is useful in other applications.
If you have specific settings on your browser, you can still access the older version of Google Contacts. To export your contact list using this version, use the steps below.
- Log in to your Google account and go to Google Contacts.
- At the top of the page, click on “More.”
- In the dropdown menu, press “Export.”
- Choose “Google CSV” to save the contacts in your Google account and in a separate document.
- Click “Export” to download the information.
Downloading Only Some Contacts
When learning how to save Gmail contacts to Excel file information, you can download only some contacts. Use the steps below to learn more.
- Look for the words “All Contacts” in the dropdown menu.
- Click on “All Contacts” and select a new option.
- Choose from “Starred Contacts,” “Frequently Contacted,” or “Label.”
You can also individually select contacts to export to Excel by pressing on each profile image. After selecting a specific person, press “Export.”
Import into Excel
The next step in learning how to export email addresses from Gmail to Excel is to import the information into Excel.
After you save the CSV files aforementioned, you can open them directly in Microsoft Excel. If you have a problem opening or using the document, however, you can use the troubleshooting steps below.
- Double-click on the CSV file to open it in Microsoft Excel.
- Click on the “File” tab.
- Press “Save As.”
- Choose the location and type in a file name.
- Click on “CSV,” and choose “Excel workbook” instead.
Edit in Excel
After you learn how to export email addresses from Gmail to Excel, you can edit your information. There are several customization options available, as seen below, but first, you need to enter edit mode.
Get Into Edit Mode
- Double-click on any cell that you need to edit.
- Click on the cell you need to edit and press F2 on the keyboard.
Excel lets you add cells, delete, and replace them. Use the list below to learn how to perform this process.
- Insert information by clicking on a pre-existing ell. Type in any information you want to add.
- Delete information by clicking on a cell and pressing “Delete” or “Backspace” on the keyboard.
- Replace information by double-clicking on a cell to highlight the text. Type the new words you want to add.
- Add multiple lines of information in a cell by pressing “Alt+Enter” on the keyboard.
Change Cell Displays
There are several display changes you can make in Excel cells, including those below.
- Change the position of the text in a cell by pressing the “Alignment options.”
- Use the “Wrap Text” option to stop the words from going into another cell.
- Adjust cell size by clicking on “Column Width.”
- Click on the “Format” option in the “Cells” category to change colors, designs, and more.
Leaving the Editing Feature
You can leave edit mode by pressing “Enter” on the keyboard. If you want to change another cell, you only have to click on it.
How to Export Contact Information from Excel
You can also learn how to export information from Excel to Google using the methods below.
Import into Google Contacts
To import Excel information to Google Contacts, use the steps below.
- Go to www.contacts.google.com and log in to your account.
- Click on “Import” in the menu on the left side of. the screen.
- Select the spreadsheet file by pressing “Select File.”
- Press “Import.”
Merge with Existing Contacts
After you import the new information to Google Contacts, you will need to merge any duplicate individuals using the steps below.
- Go to www.contacts.google.com and log in to your account.
- Click on the “Merge & Fix” option in the menu.
- Press “Merge Duplicates.” If the option is not there, you do not have any double contacts.
- Click “Merge All” to delete all duplicates or “Merge” to do so one at a time.
How to Easily Export Contacts and Pictures from Your Phone
You can learn how to export email addresses from Gmail to Excel from your Android or iPhone. You will need to have the Google Contacts and Excel apps to begin.
- Download the Google Contacts app from the Google Play store.
- Click on the three lines to access the menu.
- Press on “Settings.”
- Click on “Export.”
- Choose the appropriate Gmail account that has the contact list.
- Press “Export to .vcf file.”
After using these steps, you will need to change the file to a CSV file later.
The iPhone steps are similar to those required learning how to export email addresses from Gmail on Android devices. The only difference is that you will download the apps from the Apple App Store.
The Benefits of Exporting Gmail Contacts to an Excel File
1. Make Contact Information Available When Offline
As you likely know, Google is a digital company. To access its services on your mobile device or computer, you have to have a web connection.
If you go somewhere without internet service, you will be unable to access your Google contacts. Exporting Gmail contacts to Excel file documents will ensure this information is always accessible.
2. Protection from Data Hacks
For the most part, Google is a secure provider of a variety of digital tools. With the increasing frequency of cyberattacks, however, you never know what may happen.
If someone hacks Google, you may lose access to your digital contacts. If you learn how to export email addresses from Gmail to Excel, you will always have a backup.
3. Excel Documents are More Printable
When you go to your Google Contacts documents, you will notice that you will only see a list of names. You have to click on each one to see details like email addresses and phone numbers.
When you learn how to export email addresses from Gmail, all contact information will be on a single spreadsheet. Print this document to have all of the information you need on one page.
4. Use Excel for Advanced Functions
If you want to personalize your contact sheets, you should download them to Microsoft Excel. You can change the colors of your cells or choose from a template, for instance.
Excel also allows you to perform advanced functions so that you can keep your data organized. It continually goes through updates as it is an older software program.
5. Use Microsoft Excel to Quickly Add Contacts
Excel is the only of the two options that let you use keyboard shortcuts. You can copy and paste specific information using these features, for instance.
Google Sheets is compatible only with specific browser shortcuts. It is not compatible with any of the features that compete with the web applications you use.
FAQ | how to export email addresses from Gmail to Excel
How Can I Export Google Contacts with GMass?
If you have a label on your Google account, you can export contacts from GMass. You will press the magnifying glass on the screen and wait for the email addresses to show up in the “new message” window. Copy and paste the information into an Excel document.
Where Can I Find Contacts Automatically Added by Gmail?
Gmail will automatically save the contact information of individuals you interact with on your account. You can find them within the Google Contacts app.
After you log in to your Gmail, you can click on the “Contacts” option. After loading, you will see the list of all of the individuals added automatically or manually.
Exporting Gmail Contacts to Excel
It is easy to learn how to export email addresses from Gmail to Excel. Remember, you will need to do this to access your contact list even when offline. Otherwise, you will need internet access to get to the Google information.
To download your Google contacts, you will need to first log in to your Google account. After, press “Export” on the left menu and choose those individuals you need to download. Immediately, you can open the file in Microsoft Excel by double-clicking on it.
When the file loads in Excel, you can edit it using the cell features that are available. Double-click in any block to type new information or provide updates that are necessary. After, you can upload any of the changes back to your Google account.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence