How to Fill Background in Illustrator
Adobe Illustrator is a powerful tool that lets you create graphic designs. You can build logos, edit images, and manage other digital materials in this software program.
You can change the color of the background or foreground when working in Adobe Illustrator. This process helps you develop the look you need for your graphics.
You can learn how to fill background in Illustrator by specifically following the steps in the article below. You can also read to better understand how to adjust the workspace to your preferences.
How to Change the Background Color in Adobe Illustrator
This guide will show you how to color background in Illustrator. You can start with a solid shade or choose multiple.
How to Add a Solid Color Background in Illustrator
You can learn how to change Illustrator background color by choosing one solid shade. This color should seamlessly blend with the subjects you portray in your image.
Follow the below steps to learn how to fill background in Illustrator.
- Open Adobe Illustrator and click on “New Project.”
- Click “File,” followed by “Open.” Choose the image you want to edit.
- Go to the Layers panel and right-click on the single layer.
- Press “Duplicate Layer.”
- Click the eye next to the original layer to hide it.
- Press the “Fill” icon. It resembles a dark square inside of a border.
- Choose the color you want to use for your background.
- Click on the “Quick Selection” icon.
- Choose the “Select Subject” object.
- Trace the portions of the photo you want to keep.
- Use the “Eraser” tool to clean up the edges of your image.
- Select the “Brush” tool to paint on the fill color.
- Right-click on the outline of the image and choose “Create Clipping Mask.”
- Use the solid fill you chose for your new background.
How to Change the Workspace Color in Illustrator
Adobe Illustrator lets you make a custom workspace that works with your needs. You can save presets to always have your project look the same.
You can manipulate panels, moving them where you need them first. Adobe Illustrator also lets you change the color of your workspace.
You can learn how to change workspace color in Illustrator by following the below steps.
- Open Adobe Illustrator.
- Press “File,” followed by “Open.” Choose the document you want to edit.
- On a Windows computer, press the “Edit” menu. Choose “Preferences,” followed by “User Interface.”
- On a Mac, choose the “Illustrator CC” menu. Click “Preferences,” followed by “User Interface.”
- Choose one of the “Brightness” settings to adjust the tint of your project.
- Press “Match User Interface Brightness.”
- You can also opt for a white background.
Adjust the Size of the User Interface
Not only can you learn how to change workspace color in Illustrator. You can also adjust the size of the user interface.
Change the scale of the user interface based on your screen resolution by following the below steps.
- Click on the “Edit” menu on a Windows computer or “Illustrator” on a Mac.
- Choose “Preferences,” followed by “User Interface.”
- Click on the “UI Scaling” option.
- Move the slider to the right and left until you achieve the appropriate size.
- Check the “Scale Cursor Proportionally” option.
- Close and reopen Adobe Illustrator to put your settings to use.
How to Change Artboard Color Illustrator
You can also learn how to add a solid color background in Illustrator by simulating colored paper. The steps below will help you adjust the shade of your artboard.
- Open Adobe Illustrator on your computer.
- Choose the “File” menu option.
- Click on “Open” to choose the file you want to edit.
- Click the “File” menu again.
- Choose the “Document Setup” option.
- Look for the “Transparency” section and press the checkbox by “Simulate Colored Paper.”
- Press the checkbox by “Upper Color Box.”
- Click the color wheel to choose a shade for your background.
- Adjust the shade with the slider until you change canvas color Illustrator.
- Drag the swatch you created to an empty square in the popup window.
- Press “Ok.”
- Click “View,” followed by “Show Transparency Grid” to finish this method of learning how to fill background in Illustrator.
Change the Transparency Grid Background Color
The last process you can learn when wanting to change canvas color Illustrator is to adjust the transparency grid.
The white background technically does not exist in Adobe Illustrator. It is transparent and a space for your work to go.
Learn how to fill background in Illustrator by changing the transparency grid settings with the below steps.
- Open Adobe Illustrator by double clicking on the icon.
- Press “New Project.”
- Click on the “View” menu at the top of the screen.
- Choose “Show Transparency Grid.” You can also use a keyboard shortcut. It is “Shift + Command + D.”
- Press “File,” followed by “Document Setup.”
- Look for the “Transparency and Overprint Options” section.
- Click on the top color box and choose a new fill color.
- See if the grid preview changed color.
- Click on the eyedropper to choose the same color for both fill options.
- Check the box next to “Simulate Colored Paper.”
- Press “Ok.”
You will still see the colors you chose when hiding the transparency grid. They will not export with your document. The colors are only present when working with the artboard.
Make a Background Transparent in Adobe Illustrator
Rather than learn how to fill background in Illustrator, you can make it transparent. These types of images work best as logos and other digital projects.
You can learn to make a background transparent in Adobe Illustrator by following the below steps.
- Open Adobe Illustrator by double clicking the icon.
- Click on the “File” menu.
- Choose “Open” and find the file you want to edit.
- Press “Control + Shift + D” on a Windows computer or “Command + Shift + D” on a Mac. These keyboard shortcuts will show the transparency grid.
- Click on the “Selection” tool in the toolbar.
- Select the image you want to edit.
- Press “Window” in the top menu.
- Choose the “Image Trace” option.
- Wait for the popup window to appear.
- Look for the “Mode” dropdown menu. Choose “Colored” instead of “Black and White.”
- Click the triangle next to “Advanced Settings.”
- Check the box next to “Ignore White” in the “Options” section.
- Press “Trace.”
The above steps will automatically trace your subject to make the background transparent.
Export Your Project with a Transparent Background
When you finish editing your project, export it with a transparent background. Use PNG settings with the below steps.
- Click the “File” menu option.
- Choose “Export,” followed by “Export As.”
- Select the destination for your document and rename the file.
- Click on the “Save as Type” menu option.
- Choose “PNG.”
- Press “Export.”
- Set the “Background Color” to “Transparent” in the “PNG Options” window.
- Press “Ok.”
What is the Shortcut to Fill Background Color in Illustrator?
Use a keyboard shortcut if you want to learn how to change background color in Illustrator. If you only need your images to be black and white, press “Control + D” or “Command + D.”
If you want to swap between stroke and fill mode, press “Shift X.” Choose the colors you want to use in your image after.
How Do You Use the Paint Bucket in Illustrator?
The Live Paint Bucket tool is one of the best options for learning how to fill background in Illustrator. You can use this feature by following the steps below.
- Select the portions of the image you want to fill.
- Click on the “Object” menu at the top of the screen.
- Choose “Live Paint,” followed by “Make.”
- Select the “Live Paint Bucket” tool on the toolbar on the left.
- Choose a color for your background.
- Click on the objects you want to fill with the color you chose.
Where is the Paint Bucket Tool in Illustrator CC?
Look for the “Shape Builder” feature on the toolbar to find the “Live Paint Bucket” tool. Press the downward-facing arrow in the corner, and click on “Live Paint Bucket.”
There is also a shortcut that lets you access this feature. Tap “K” on your keyboard to automatically load the “Live Paint Bucket.”
How Do You Fill an Entire Layer in Illustrator?
You can change the color of an entire layer in Adobe Illustrator. It only takes four steps to finish this process.
- Click on the “Layers” panel in Adobe Illustrator.
- Double-click the layer you want to adjust.
- Wait for the “Layer Options” pop-up window to appear.
- Click on the dropdown menu next to “Color.”
- Choose the color you want to use for your layer.
- Press “Ok.”
Change the Background Color in Adobe Illustrator
This article showed you how to fill background in Illustrator. You can adjust the back of your images or the workspace for your project. Illustrator also lets you change the color of the user interface in the software.
You can change the background color specifically by making a duplicate layer. Use the “Fill” tool to adjust the back of your image. The “Quick Selection” tool helps you find the subject in your project.
If you want to make the background transparent, use “Image Trace.” Set the appropriate settings to “Ignore White” on your project.
Finally, you can adjust the color of the artboard and workspace. Use the “Document Setup” features to “Simulate Colored Paper” for the first. To edit the workspace, go to “User Interface” preferences.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence