How to Make a File Smaller on iPhone
If you own an iPhone, you know how capable the camera is for any of your needs. It is fun to capture memories with your family and friends using the video and photo features. Sometimes, however, since the results are so high-quality, the file sizes are too big for you to share with your loved ones.
There are several methods available to you to learn how to make a file smaller on iPhone devices, whether it is a video or photo. Using these will allow you to share content with ease and without having to reduce quality. Continue reading below to learn more, including even how to make a file smaller on Mac computers.
Reducing Photo Size on an iPhone
There are several methods available to you when learning how to reduce the file size of a photo on iPhone built-in apps. These vary from the Photos app to using Mail.
The crop function in the Photos app, which comes with every iPhone, allows you to learn how to reduce the size of your image in two different ways. Each method is in more detail below.
To use these, consider the steps below.
- Open the Photos app and find the image you need to resize.
- Click on the photo, then press “edit.”
- Look for the crop icon in the bottom right corner.
- Select the crop box icon. You need to look for an image that resembles three rectangles, with the smallest shaded.
- Choose the appropriate aspect ratio for your photo.
- Select “horizontal” or “vertical” orientation for the crop.
- Press “done.”
If you do not want to use any of the aspect ratios available, you can manually resize your photos. To learn how to make a file smaller on iPhone using this method, use the below steps.
- Open the Photos app and find the image to resize.
- Press “edit.”
- Select the crop icon, again on the bottom right corner.
- Drag the white lines on the corners of the image until you achieve the appropriate size.
- Press “done.”
It is important to note that the crop functions will not resize the file. They only change the image itself. The below methods are better for learning how to reduce the file size of a photo on iPhone devices.
Shortcuts is available on newer editions of the iPhone. It is an automation tool that allows you to navigate difficult processes on your smartphone. To learn how to make a file smaller on iPhone devices using Shortcuts, use the steps below.
- Open Shortcuts and go to the tab labeled “My Shortcuts.”
- Press the plus sign in the top right corner.
- Touch the “Add Action” button.
- Search for “Resize Image,” and select it when it pops up.
- Tap the word “Image.”
- Press “Shortcut Input” to allow the app to resize any photo you send.
- Click on the “640” button to adjust the width and height.
- Choose the “Ask Each Time” option to always set the size of your images manually.
- Press the plus sign.
- Search and select “Save to Photo Album.”
- Change the save location by pressing the “Recents” button.
- Tap the menu icon, which resembles a circle with three horizontal dots, to give your new shortcut a name.
- Press “Done.”
- Open the Photos app, and select the share icon.
- Look for the created shortcut, selecting it when you see it.
- Enter the new size for your photo, and press “done.”
- Open the “Recents” album in the Photos app to see the resized photo.
The Shortcuts method is a long process, but it is worth it. After you set up the shortcut, the sharing process is simple.
Use the Mail app
Though it seems odd, the Mail app is a powerful way that you can learn how to make a file smaller on iPhone. This method is beneficial if you intend to email the content to your friends and family members anyways. Use the steps below to get started.
1. Open Photo and ensure you are on the “Photos” tab.
2. Press the “select” button in the top left corner.
3. Choose the photos to include, then press the share icon.
4. Select “Mail” and type in your and your friends’ email addresses.
5. Press “share.”
6. You will see a list of compressed sizes to choose from.
7. Open the Mail app, and select the email you just sent yourself.
8. Save the photos from the email to your camera roll.
Do note that you can only send nine photos at a time when you use this method. It will take some time if you have a lot to compress.
Compress All Photos Using Settings
Finally, you can learn how to compress all of your photos using the Settings app on your iPhone. This method will also increase the storage space on your phone as the original photos will save to your iCloud account, and the compressed versions will stay on your iPhone. Use the steps below to begin learning how to make a file smaller on iPhone devices.
- Open Settings.
- Click on your name at the top.
- Go to “iCloud,” then “Photos.”
- Toggle on the option for “iCloud Photo Library.”
- Select the option for “Optimize iPhone Storage.”
A wide variety of third-party apps are also available to learn how to reduce the file size of a photo on iPhone devices. These options will give you more control over the quality that results.
Image Size is free-to-use after you download it onto your iPhone. It allows you to compress or change the resolution of your photos. Use the steps below to reduce the size, however.
1. Download Image Size.
2. Press the photos icon in the top left, and give the app permission to access your albums.
3. Select the images you want to resize, and press “choose” in the preview pop-up.
4. Under “Pixel,” reduce the width and height to compress your image.
5. Press the “save” button to download the new image.
CropSize Photo Resizer
CropSize Photo Resizer costs $4.99 to download onto your iPhone. It allows you to edit your photos, along with reducing the size of them.
CropSize Photo Resizer also allows you to edit up to 50 images at a time. Finally, you can save any of your edits to a template. This feature allows you to resize your images in a breeze.
Finally, Desqueeze will allow you to reduce the size of your images on an iPhone. It is free to use, and there are presets available for your assistance. Follow the steps below to learn more.
1. Download and open Desqueeze.
2. Use the selection tool to upload your images to the app.
3. Tap on the photo you want to edit, and open the “scaling ratio” tool.
4. Set the dimensions to the size you need.
5. Press “ok.”
6. Tap on the paw print icon on the bottom of the screen to save your changes and download the image.
Use Your Mac
Finally, you can learn how to make a file smaller on Mac operating systems. The below steps will help you understand how to transfer your iPhone images over to the computer, edit them and send them back.
Sending the Photos to Your Mac
AirDrop is the easiest way to get your images to your Mac.
- Open the Photos app.
- Select the photo you want to edit.
- Press the share icon.
- Select the airdrop option, and look for the name of your Mac.
- Tap on your Mac’s name, and press send.
- Wait for the notification to pop up on your Mac, showing that you received an Airdrop.
- Save the image to the Photos app on your Mac or to the finder.
Editing the Images
To learn how to make a file smaller on Mac operating systems, you can use the Preview app. Consider the below steps.
- Double-click on your image to open Preview.
- Open the “Tools” menu, then press “adjust size.”
- Change the width and height until you are happy.
- Press “ok.”
Sending the Images Back to Your iPhone
You can use Airdrop on your Mac to send the photos back to your iPhone. Follow the same steps as above, but look for the title of your iPhone instead.
Compress Videos on an iPhone
To learn how to make a video file smaller on iPhone devices, use any variety of built-in features. Many of these are the same ones used for reducing image size.
The best way to learn how to reduce iPhone video file size with a built-in app is to use shortcuts. The steps for this method are in detail below.
1. Open the Photos app, and look for the video you want to compress.
2. Tap the share icon, and select “Shortcuts.”
3. Search for the “reduce video size” shortcut.
4. Trim out parts of the video if you need to, then press “passthrough” to select a resize option.
5. Choose where you want to save the video.
When you want to learn how to reduce iPhone video file size for prerecorded files, this method is not the most useful. It can help you with future creations, however. Use the steps below to change your camera settings for videos.
1. Open Settings.
2. Click on “Camera,” then “Record Video.”
3. Choose a lower quality rating.
Some of the best methods involving learning how to make a video file smaller on iPhone devices are to use third-party apps. You can find some of the highest-quality options below.
Video Compress is available for free. If you pay, you will avoid ads, however. Follow the steps below to use this app.
1. Download Video Compress from the app store.
2. Press the plus sign.
3. Give the app permission to access your files, and select the video you want to compress.
4. Choose the compression level you want to give your video, and press “continue.”
5. Select the destination for your compressed file.
6. Press “finish” to complete the process.
You can keep the original video on Video Compress by not pressing “delete originals.” You also have the option to apply the same settings to multiple files.
Compress Videos & Resize Video
Compress Videos and Resize Video is also free to download. It keeps the same quality of every file that you compress. You can use the steps below to learn how to make a video file smaller on iPhone devices with this app.
- Download the app and open it.
- Choose if you want to upload all videos or select specific ones.
- Select the videos you want to compress.
- Press “next.”
- Change the frame rate and video dimensions using the sliders provided.
- Press “compress” to finish.
Finally, video slimmer is available to you when learning how to make a file smaller on iPhone devices with a third-party option. It also lets you trim, merge, and rotate videos if needed. It is easy to use, as seen in the steps below.
- Download Video Slimmer from the App Store.
- Press the plus sign to upload your videos.
- Touch the gear icon to adjust the size and quality.
- Choose if you want to keep or delete the originals.
- Press “slim now” on the main menu.
- Share the videos or download them to your iPhone.
How to Compress a Video on Mac for Email
You can learn how to compress a video on Mac for email, straight from your iPhone, using Quicktime. This option comes with your computer.
- Airdrop your videos to your Mac.
- Open Quicktime and upload the video file from Finder.
- Press “file,” then “export as” with the lowest resolution available.
- Airdrop the video back to your iPhone to complete the process of learning how to make a file smaller on Mac computers.
Third-party options are available if you want to use them when learning how to compress a video on Mac for email. The most popular isTotal Video Converter Pro as it keeps the same quality. You can also use Adobe Premiere Pro, however, if you want a paid alternative.
Compress Your Files
iPhones are powerful devices. You can use built-in software and third-party apps to learn how to make a file smaller on iPhone devices. These tools are useful for both videos and photos.
If you want more control, consider learning how to make a file smaller on Mac computers. All you have to do is Airdrop your videos and photos from your iPhone to the Mac.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence