How to Make a Picture Collage on Computer
If you love to take photos, you likely love to edit them. The editing process helps to bring your images to life.
When most individuals consider editing photos, they only adjust the color balance and brightness. There is so much more you can do if you want to have fun during the process.
Consider learning how to make a collage or an animation, for instance. You can put all of your photos in one graphic to give the full story behind the memory.
If you want to learn how to make a picture collage on computer software, use the step-by-step guide below. The provided details will help you feel more confident about the editing process.
After you learn how to make collage in Google Photos, you can add text. Click on “Edit” at the bottom of the image, followed by the Markup tool.
Tap on “Text” to enter the typography. Type what you need to and change the font to your liking.
The Step-by-Step Guide | How to Make a Picture Collage on Computer
This step-by-step guide will give you the necessary information to learn how to make a picture collage on computer software.
Make a Picture Collage on Computer
Most computers have some built-in photo editing tools. These software programs can help you change the color style, adjust the brightness, and apply filters.
You can also learn how to make a picture collage on computer programs. Use the methods below if you have a Mac or Windows PC.
If you have a Mac, you can use a built-in method to learn how to make collage on computer programs. The required steps are in detail in the below information.
Use Preview on Your Mac
The first program you can use on your Mac to make a collage is Preview. This tool will only place your photos side-by-side. The steps below will help you complete this process.
1. Find the first photo you want to include and right-click on it.
2. Press “Get Info” and write down the width.
3. Find the next photo you want to use and follow steps one and two.
4. Double-click on the initial image to open the Preview software.
5. Press on the “Edit” menu.
6. Click on “Select All.”
7. Copy your photo to the keyboard.
8. Click on the “Tools” menu.
9. Press “Adjust Size,” followed by “Scale Proportionally.”
10. Look for the field labeled “Width,” and type the total width of both pictures.
11. Move the first image to the left side of the screen.
12. Double-click the second image to open another screen of Preview.
13. Follow steps five through seven again.
14. Open the preview of your first photo. Paste the second image to the screen.
15. Move the second image to the right.
16. Press “File,” followed by “Save.”
This method will also work for three or more photos. You only need to remember the size of all three images’ width combined and follow the appropriate steps.
You can use a couple of methods when learning how to make a picture collage on computer software on Windows. The information below will help you learn about them.
Use Microsoft Paint to Combine Photos on Your Windows Computer
Microsoft Paint is best if you only want a split-screen graphic. You can upload any photo, no matter its size. Use the steps below to make a collage in Microsoft Paint.
1. Open Microsoft Paint on your computer and click on “File.”
2. Choose the first photo you want to upload to your document.
3. Click on the Resize tool.
4. Select “Pixels.” Enter the width and height of the second image you want to use in your collage. This information will go in the “Horizontal” and “Vertical” fields.
5. Click the checkbox next to “Maintain Aspect Ratio.”
6. Find the square box in one corner of the background. Drag it outwards to expand the size.
7. Click on the dropdown menu next to the Paste tool.
8. Choose “Paste From.”
9. Select the photo you want to add to your collage.
10. Move the image to where you need it to be. Ensure both are the same size.
Use the Photo Fuse Tool in Windows Photo Gallery
The next tool you can use to learn how to make collage on computer devices is the Photo Fuse software. This option is only available through Windows Photo Gallery, but it lets you combine as many images as needed with the steps below.
- Open Windows Live Photo Gallery on your computer.
- Choose the pictures you want to combine in your collage.
- Click on the “Create” tab and choose “Photo Fuse.”
- Choose the photo section you want to cover with another photo.
- Make your selection more precise by holding down “Alt” on your keyboard.
- Choose the photo you want to cover the selected space.
- Complete steps four through six with as many photos as you want to use.
- Click on the “File” menu, followed by “Save” when you finish.
When you work in Google Photos or Google Drive, you can use folders. Create a new one for the photos for your collage to stay organized.
You do not have to use all of the pictures you upload. This folder should be an area where you can experiment with your art.
Third-Party Tools for Making a Picture Collage
Some of the third-party tools you can use to learn how to make a picture collage on computer programs are below.
1. Google Photos
Google Photos is a comprehensive tool that is available through the browser of your computer. You can use the Google collage maker to create beautiful graphics to show to your loved ones.
Google Photos also lets you create albums. You can place photos in specific folders to keep them organized. Finally, there are also animations you can make from groups of images.
Learn how to make collage in Google Photos using the steps below.
1. Open your browser and type in www.photos.google.com.
2. Sign in to your Google Account.
3. Upload any images you want to save on the cloud drive.
4. Click on “Utilities” on the left side of the screen.
5. Scroll down to the “Create New” section and press “Collage.”
6. Choose two to nine photos that you want to use.
7. Press “Create.”
8. Rearrange the images to make any changes you desire.
- No ads
- Facial recognition software
- Integrative collage maker
- Integrates to mobile devices using the Google Photos app
- Photo enhancements made via artificial intelligence
- Unlimited storage costs extra
- No undo tool when manually editing photos
- No sharing abilities for social media
The photos you use in your collage will likely not have the same color palettes. You have to ensure your graphic is cohesive.
To make the color palette cohesive, consider a built-in filter. Most software tools mentioned in this article come with presets.
2. CollageFactory Free
CollageFactory Free is a free tool that you can download on Windows or Mac computers. You can make grids and freestyle graphics in this software. After using the steps below, rearrange your photos to wherever you like.
- Download CollageFactory Free on your Mac or Windows computer.
- Click on the “Collages” option on the left.
- Choose “Classic” if you want a simple graphic.
- Press “Ok” on the option you like best.
- Click “Add” to import the photos.
- Drag and drop the photos to their proper locations.
- Click “Export” to save your collages.
- Free to use
- Rearrange your photos to where you need them
- Several built-in templates to choose
A CollageFactory Pro account gives you the most premium features for an extra charge
CollageIt is another free software program you can download to your computer to create beautiful graphics. The premium version is $19.99 if you want the most advanced features.
To use this tool made by PearlMountain, consider the below steps.
- Download CollageIt onto your computer.
- Open the app and click on the plus sign on the left side of the screen. Choose the images you want to upload.
- Wait for your selected images to load onto the “Body” portion of the screen.
- Choose from one of the templates you enjoy. You will find them on the right side of the screen.
- Select any stickers or text graphics you want to incorporate to fully design your collage.
- Click on “Export” in the menu to save your app. You can send it as an email if needed.
- Several templates that make beautiful graphics
- Add free text and stickers
- Filters are available for your creations
- Adjust the brightness and color theme
- Share your graphics straight to social media
- You need the pro version for the most premium features
Canva is one of the best online tools for making a collage. It comes with a free and premium version, and there are several templates you can use.
When accessing Canva, you should make an account. Your graphics will save so that you can go back and edit them at any time.
To use Canva to make your photo collages, use the below steps.
1. Open your browser and type in www.canva.com.
2. Create an account or log in if you already have one.
3. Enter “Collage” in the search bar and choose a template that meets your needs.
4. Click on the “Upload” option and choose the photos you want to include.
5. Look through the stock images and graphics to incorporate more details.
6. Click “Save” on the right corner. Choose “PNG” or “JPG.”
- Templates for any type of graphic
- Your photo edits will save to your account
- Choose from thousands of graphics and stock images
- Share your creations directly to social media
- You cannot create shapes and other elements
- Limited photo editing
- Many of the icons and graphics require a subscription
Google Photos has an integrative artificial intelligence source. Sometimes, the app and website will make collages for you.
If you have the Google Photos app, your photos will automatically save to the cloud drive. Google Photos will use its advanced features to create these collages and animations.
Make a Picture Collage on a Computer
You should feel confident now that you understand how to make a picture collage on computer software. On a Mac, you can make a side-by-side graphic in Photos.
Windows computers offer many more built-in features. You will find tools in Microsoft Paint and the Live Photo Gallery.
You can take your editing process a step further by using a third-party tool. Consider the Google collage maker in Google Photos. You can also try something not as well known as CollageIt.
Many of these third-party tools are available for download on your computer. If you do not want to take up memory, use a browser option like Canva or Google Photos.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence