How to Make a Schedule on Google Sheets
Google Sheets is one of the most comprehensive tools made by the technological giant. You can use it to make calendars, build daily schedules, and create any other type of spreadsheet. After you complete your document, you can access it at any time via the Google Sheets website or mobile app.
If you have a busy schedule, a calendar or daily planner may be the best type of document you can make on Google Sheets. In the information below, you will find a step-by-step guide to learn how to make a schedule on Google Sheets.
Creating a Calendar in Google Sheets
When you want to learn how to make a schedule on Google Sheets, you can choose between a calendar or a planner. The former will give you a more comprehensive overview, while the latter will help you keep track of your daily goals.
This article will start with teaching you how to make a calendar. There are several methods available, including those outlined below.
Start from Scratch
Use the below steps if you want to use a browser to learn how to create a schedule in Google Sheets via a customizable calendar. The information will help you start from scratch.
1. Go to docs.google.com/spreadsheets and sign in to your account.
2. Press the plus sign icon to start a new document.
3. Click in an empty cell of your choice to start your calendar.
4. Type in “Sunday,” the first day of the week.
5. Click in the cell where you just typed “Sunday.”
6. Press and hold down on the square that appears on the bottom right corner of the cell.
7. Drag the mouse to the right to fill in the rest of the days of the week. You will need to cover six cells to create a weekly calendar. Continue dragging if you want a monthly or yearly option.
8. Click on an empty cell directly under or next to the first day of the week.
9. Type in the date using the “Month/Date” format.
10. Click on the cell you typed in, and hold down the small box on the bottom right corner.
11. Drag the cell downwards until you fill out the calendar.
Use Google Sheets Shortcuts
There are also shortcuts you can use to learn how to make a schedule on Google Sheets. Use the steps below to begin.
1. On a browser, type in www.sheets.google.com and log in to your account.
2. Press the plus sign to start a blank spreadsheet.
3. In cell B3, type in the first day of the week, “Sunday.”
4. Click on the cell to highlight it and use the small rectangular box to drag and drop. You will need to fill in six more cells to the right or six down.
5. In cell B4, type in the month and date.
6. In cell C4, type in “=B4 + 1”.
7. Click in cell C4, and hold down the small box on the bottom right corner. Drag to fill in the rest of the dates for a specific week.
8. Skip a row, and in cell B6 type “=B3”.
9. Press “Enter” on the keyboard and Monday should appear. Drag and drop using the methods listed above to fill in another row or column for all of the days of a week.
10. In cell B7, type “=B4 + 7”. Click and drag again.
11. In the second set of dates, click and drag around the empty space, the weekday, and the date.
12. Hold and drag the small box in the bottom right corner to fill in all of the dates you need.
13. Click on the last cell, and hold down the small box on the bottom right corner. Drag it over to fill in the rest of your calendar.
Creating a Daily Planner in Google Sheets
If you only need to make a daily planner, the process is a little simpler. Learn how to make a schedule on Google Sheets in an agenda format using the steps below.
1. Log in to www.sheets.google.com.
2. Click on the plus sign to load a blank document.
3. On the horizontal axis, in row two, you will type “Monday” in whatever cell you want to use.
4. Click on the cell you filled out, and hold down the small box on the bottom right corner. Drag it to the right six cells.
5. In the cell directly under the word “Monday,” you will enter the month and day.
6. Click on the cell and hold down the small box in the lower right corner.
7. Drag the box with six more slots to the right.
8. In the next row, on the left-most cell, you will enter the first hour you want to include in your day.
9. Select the next eight cells and right-click.
10. Press “Group Rows.
11. After you will need to select the eight cells and the one with the provided hour.
12. Click on the icon provided to Merge Cells.
When learning how to make a schedule on Google Sheets in a daily planner format, you can load a template. The “Schedule” option is the best for your needs.
Tips to Make the Most Out of Your Daily Planner
After learning how to make a schedule on daily sheets, you will want to make it personalized. Use the formatting tips provided below to get started.
If you want specific information to stand out, you can use the highlight feature. Click on the cell, and press the fill icon in the toolbar. This tip will let you color-code your daily planner or calendar.
Some individuals prefer to have the cells that contain the days of the week to be larger. Google Sheets allows you to resize any space. Drag the cell number down to make it larger, and drag it up to lower its height.
Align Your Text
This software allows you to align your text in the way you need it when learning how to make a schedule on Google Sheets. Center the information in the middle of the cell, keep it on the left side, or place it on the right.
When learning how to create a schedule in Google Sheets, you can make it stand out more by adding images. Click on the “Insert” tab, and press “Image.” Select “Images in a Cell” and choose the pictures you want to upload.
Templates for Getting Started
When learning how to make a schedule on Google Sheets, there are specific templates that you can use. Learn how to load one of these options using the steps below.
- On a browser, log in to www.sheets.google.com.
- Click on “Template” gallery.
- Browse the available options or use the search bar.
- Choose from the templates that are available to you to use.
- Customize the calendar to fit your needs.
The Best Google Sheets Calendar and Schedule Templates
There are several Google Sheets templates available for calendars and daily planners when learning how to make a schedule on Google Sheets. When you see how many options there are, you may not know where to start. Consider those provided in the list below, as these templates are some of the best.
1. Google Sheets Daily Schedule Template
The Google Sheets Daily Schedule template is one of the easiest to use on the software. On the page labeled “template gallery,” you will select “Schedule.”
You only have to set the appropriate date in cell C2. Any information in rows three and four will automatically update to the provided timeframe.
2. Full-Size Calendar 2022
Now that it is a new year, you may want a calendar you can print and fill. This template is a basic option that already has all of the dates for 2022 provided. You will use the tabs at the bottom of the screen to switch between months.
3. Google Sheets Employee Schedule Template
To create or use a Google Sheets employee schedule template, you will need to access the “Schedule” option mentioned in option one. Use the steps below to create this document for your work needs.
- Use the steps above to load the “template gallery” in Google Sheets.
- Scroll down and select the “Schedule” option.
- Click in cell C2 and enter the necessary data.
- In one column, highlight the cells that contain your employees’ work hours.
- Use the fill feature to block off these times.
- If the schedule is the same every day, copy and paste the settings to each column.
You can send this calendar to your employees by clicking the “Share” button. Enter the appropriate email addresses and press “Send” again.
4. Google Sheets Class Schedule Template
If you want to create a Google Sheets Class Schedule template, you will again use the “Schedule” option aforementioned. Use the steps below to begin.
- Load the “Schedule” template using the steps above.
- In cell C2, enter the date for when the week begins.
- Enter your class information in the cells that correlate with the appropriate time slots.
- Color-code your. schedule by highlighting specific cells and using the fill feature.
After you use the methods to learn how to create a schedule in Google Sheets, you can print it out for your convenience.
Planner Alternatives | how to make a schedule on google sheets
Now that you know how to make a schedule on Google Sheets, you may wonder if alternatives exist. Three of the best options are in the information below.
1. Outlook Calendar
If you have an Outlook account, you can use their calendar software. It is free to use, and you only need to have an email account with the Microsoft platform.
When making a calendar using Outlook, you can use color-coding and other formatting features. Set automatic reminders that sync with your email so that you never forget an appointment or meeting.
You can share any schedule you make on Outlook with your co-workers or friends. You can collaborate to plan meetings together, or you can send invites to any of your contacts.
2. Apple Calendar
Apple Calendar is another free tool that is available on any Apple device. It comes pre-installed on any Mac or iPhone.
Apple Calendar is popular because of the wide variety of available customization options. You can color-code the appointments on your calendar, and you can set alerts that go directly to your device. Personalize the daily, weekly, and yearly views to keep up with your busy life.
If you use Apple Calendar on an iPhone or Mac, you can invite people through the Contacts app. You can immediately check someone’s availability to ensure they can attend a meeting.
3. Zoho Calendar
Finally, Zoho Calendar is another free tool that you can use in place of Google Sheets. The individuals behind the brand created this software to help professionals manage events and meetings.
The Smart Add feature is the one to look out for. All you have to do is type a keyword or phrase. Zoho will automatically set up an event. You can edit any inaccurate information.
Zoho Calendar will automatically send you reminders for any of your events or meetings. You will receive an alert in your email, and there will be a pop-up notification on your schedule.
Creating Schedules in Google Sheets
You do not need to feel overwhelmed when learning how to make a schedule on Google Sheets. The process seems daunting, but there are many free templates available to you. Choose the “Schedule” option in the gallery to make a daily planner, employee schedule, or class agenda.
Google Sheets also allows you to make calendars and daily planners from scratch. You only need to enter the first day of the week and the date. After, you can use keyboard shortcuts or the drag-and-drop feature to fill in the rest of the necessary information.
Finally, if you do not want to use Google Sheets, there are alternative options. Consider Outlook or Apple Calendar if you have a Microsoft or Outlook account. If you have an overwhelming schedule, create a free profile on Zoho Calendars.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence