How to Make a Video File Smaller on Android
If you own a smart device like an Android, you likely take videos to capture memories with your family and friends. Many individuals like to, then, share these films with their loved ones. Unfortunately, often, these files are too large for sending over email or an app like Whatsapp.
You can learn how to make a video file smaller on Android phones, however. There are several third-party apps with a variety of features that will help you with this process. Many online video converters exist as well, most of which are free to use. Learn more by reading the information provided to you below.
There are no built-in features available that help you learn how to make a video file smaller on Android. Even the standard Camera app on most of these smartphones does not allow you to change the resolution of your film. You would have to download third-party software like Camera MX.
Change Video File Size in Camera MX
To learn how to compress a video for Whatsapp or another sharing service using a camera, download Camera MX from the Google Play store. When using the below steps, you will reduce the size of your films while recording.
- Download Camera MX from the Google Play store.
- Open the app to record a video.
- Press the three horizontal dots on the upper right corner of the screen.
- Select “Settings.”
- Turn on “Alternative Resolution.”
- Change the resolution to the “Bitrate” option.
When you record a video on your Android using Camera MX, the file size will become smaller automatically! If you forget to use or download this app, other options exist so that you can compress already recorded films.
Related Guide: Steps to send files larger than 25MB via email
If you need to learn how to send a video via email that is too big and prerecorded with sound, you will have to use a third-party app on your Android. There is a multitude of options available, including those below.
Video Compress is free to download. It is user-friendly, as seen by the below steps.
- Download Video Compress from the Google Play store.
- Open the app and find the video you need to compress.
- Press “Compress Video.”
- Choose the new resolution, ensuring that it is still high-quality enough for sharing.
- Play and download your new video to ensure your satisfaction.
- Find your compressed video in the “Super Video Compressor” folder in file storage.
Trim the Video
Video Compress also allows you to trim your film by taking the steps below. Taking this step will not work if you need to learn how to send a video via email that is too big, however. It will not reduce the actual file size.
- Open Video Compress and find the video you need to trim.
- Press “Trim Video.”
- Move the sliders on either side of the video to your desired start and stop points.
- Touch “Trim Video.”
Get Your Video Ready for Email
The best way to learn how to send a video via email that is too big using Video Compress is to change it to a MPEG. Follow the steps below to learn more.
- Open Video Converter, and select the “video converter” option.
- Select the video you need to compress.
- Press the purple arrow.
- Choose the “MPEG” option.
- Touch the button on the right to start the compression process.
InShot is a third-party app available to help you learn how to make a video smaller on iPhone or Android devices. You will use the “Change Video Size” option in the software, as seen in the steps below.
- Download InShot from the Google Play store and open the app.
- Select the “Video” option.
- Find the video that you need to compress on your smartphone, and press the green arrow.
- Choose the crop icon, and resize the video to what you need.
- Click “Save” on the top right corner of the app.
Since there is a crop icon on this app, you can assume that you can learn how to change the dimensions of a video through it too. Edit out the top, bottom, right, or left portions using this tool.
Related Guide: How to set multiple pictures as wallpaper on Android
VidCompact is compatible with over 200 smartphones so that you can quickly learn how to make a video file smaller on Android. Not only can you compress your videos, but you can also change their format and resolution. You can learn how to use this tool below.
- Download VidCompact from the Google Play store.
- Upload the video you need to compress.
- Select “Presets,” and choose from “trim and compress,” “batch compression,” or “convert to MP4.”
- Press “Save” to finalize the compression.
Trim and Compress
The “Trim and Compress” preset will remove any clips that the app deems as unnecessary. Removing parts of your film will make the file size smaller. Do not worry, as the same high quality will remain.
The “Batch Compression” preset does the same things as the option above. You can upload multiple videos, however, to perform the same edits on all of them.
Convert to MP4
Finally, the “Convert to MP4” feature allows you to compress your videos and change the file type in one step. This preset is best if you want to learn how to send a video via email that is too big as some servers only accept specific formats.
VidTrim has a free and paid version. The latter does allow you to compress your files using the steps below. You can also crop your footage using the free version, however, allowing you to learn how to change the dimensions of a video in this app.
- Download VidTrim from the Google Play store.
- Upload your video after opening the app, ensuring you sign up for the Pro edition.
- Click on the compression icon, which resembles a cogwheel.
- Choose the compression you want to use.
- Touch “View Result.”
- Press “Share” to save your video or upload it elsewhere.
Viva Video is another third-party app that will let you learn how to make a video smaller on iPhone or Android devices. It is user-friendly, and you can undo any edits using the “Reverse” button. Learn how to compress your video in Viva Video with the steps below.
- Download Viva Video from the Google Play store.
- Open the app, and press the plus sign to find a video to compress.
- Press the “Clip Edit” button, then “Trim.”
- Remove the portions of your video that you do not need to reduce the file size.
- Touch “Save” in the top right corner to finalize your edits.
Learn how to change the dimensions of a video using this app using the crop tool that is also under the “Clip Edit” menu. You can also add stickers, text, and filters on Viva Video.
Related Guide: How to make a video file smaller on Android
Resize Video is the most basic of the five apps you can use when learning how to make a video file smaller on Android devices. Some users have reported that the final edits produce a low-quality film, however. You can choose the specific file size and length for your clip using the steps below.
- Download Resize Video from the Google Play store.
- Click the “Select Video” button, and upload the clip you want to compress.
- Press “Resize Video.”
- Move the scissor icons on the folder to select the portion of the video you want to keep.
- Press “Select Size,” and choose the option that works best for your needs.
- Touch “Done” and wait for your video to export.
Websites to Compress Videos for Android Devices
Several mobile websites are available to help you learn how to make a video file smaller on Android devices. All three of the below options hope to give you a result that is of the highest quality.
Clideo Video Compressor
Clideo does not only have video compression tools. You can also convert your film to a new file format through this website. Learn how to make the file smaller, however, using the steps below.
- Go to clideo.com/compress-video on your Android browser.
- Press the blue “Choose File” button.
- Locate the video that you need to compress and upload.
- Click the green “Download” button to save your video.
To use ClipChamp Compressor, you have to create an account first. Other professional tools are available on the app, including those that allow you to learn how to change the dimensions of a video. To reduce the file size, however, use the below steps.
- Open your Android browser and type in www.util.clipchamp.com.
- Sign in to your account.
- Click on the “Convert My Video” button, and upload the file.
- Select the appropriate device for resolution optimization.
- Customize the format, quality, and resolution for your needs.
- Press “Start.”
- Click “Save” to keep the finalized video.
Finally, you can use UniConverter to learn how to change the dimensions of a video or make the file size smaller. Learn more about using this website in the list below.
- Go to your Android browser, and type in www.media.io/video-compressor.html.
- Click “Choose Files,” and select the appropriate video you need to edit.
- Select the appropriate resolution and compression level in the dropdown menus.
- Press “Compress.”
- Click “Download” to save your new video to your Android or Dropbox account.
Finally, you can use InVideo to send a video via email that is too big. Sign in to your account and get started with the steps below.
- Go to invideo.io and create an account or log in.
- Click on the “InVideo Free Editor.”
- Select the “Blank Canvas,” and choose the appropriate dimensions for your needs.
- Press the blue “Make a Video” button.
- Under “Upload Media,” select the videos you want to edit.
- Drag the sliders underneath your video to trim parts of it out.
- Press “Done.”
- Click “Download & Share,” then “Export.”
- Select “Download” to save your video.
Learning how to compress a video for Whatsapp can save you valuable time. Start by reducing the resolution in the app itself, but you will have to use one of the third-party apps or websites above.
When a file is too large, however, the app will show you an error message. Again, when learning how to compress a video for Whatsapp, you have to use a third-party platform. When the process finalizes on your software of choice, you can share the compressed file straight to Whatsapp.
Related Guide: Steps to make a three-way call on Android
Reduce the File Size of Your Videos on Your Android
There are many methods you can use to learn how to make a video file smaller on Android. Though these smartphones have no built-in features for this process, there are a variety of third-party apps. You can also visit any of the websites above so that you can compress and download your video files.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence