How to Make an Image 300 DPI
After you take a photo, you want to be able to see every fine detail. You want to see the vibrant colors, beautiful backgrounds, and stunning subjects. Unfortunately, if your DPI, or dots per inch, is not high-quality, you will lose many details.
The highest DPI you can achieve in a photo is 300. Pictures that meet this standard will have the most detail and will print or upload the best. If your photos are not high-quality, do not worry, as you can learn how to make an image 300 DPI easily. Learn more below.
Change the DPI on a Mac
If you want to learn how to make an image 300 DPI and have an Apple computer, you can start with the built-in tools on your Mac. Use the steps below in the Preview app.
1. Double-click on your photo in the finder to open Preview.
2. Press on the “Tools” menu.
3. Select “adjust size.”
4. Uncheck the box next to the “resample image” label.
5. Look for the field labeled “Resolution,” and enter 300.
6. Press “ok.”
7. Select the “file” menu.
8. Click “save.”
Preview allows you to resize multiple photos at once. You only have to select all of the files in the app, then follow the steps above.
Ensuring Your Settings Saved
You can save a lot of time before you print your images by making sure you changed the DPI. Use the steps below to learn how.
- Double-click on the photo in Finder to open Preview.
- Click on the “Tools” menu.
- Select the “Image Size” option.
- Ensure that the field labeled “Resolution” says 300.
Change the DPI on a Windows Computer Using Paint
If you want to change the DPI of an image on a Windows computer, you have to either use Paint or a third-party server. To learn how to make an image 300 DPI in Paint, you must first learn to check the DPI. Follow the steps below to learn more.
1. Open the Paint application.
2. Click on “File,” then “open” to select your image.
3. Select the “File” menu again.
4. Click “Properties.”
5. Look for the number currently listed next to the word “Resolution.”
The Conversion Process
Now that you know how to check the DPI of an image in Paint, you can easily change the resolution. You will start by opening the second photo in the application that is already at 300 DPI.
You must keep the initial open too, and keep a record of the height and width of it. The rest of the steps are below.
1. On the second image, open the “File” menu.
2. Select the “Properties” option again.
3. Click on “Details,” and enter the height and width that the initial image had.
4. Press “ok.”
5. Go back to the initial, low-resolution image.
6. Press “Ctrl+C” and copy it.
7. Return to the second, high-resolution image, and paste the first using “Ctrl+V.”
8. Click the “File” menu, then “save.”
Online DPI Converters
If you do not have a Mac or do not want to undergo the long process in Paint, you can change the DPI of an image online. Consider any of the options below, depending on your needs.
Canva is primarily a graphic design website, but there is also a mobile app available. It is free to use unless you want the premium features. Use the steps below to help you learn how to make an image 300 DPI in Canva.
- Go to www.canva.com.
- Create or login to your account.
- Press the “create a design” button.
- Select high dimensions.
- On the left menu, go to the “upload” tab, and insert your image.
- Use the white dots to make the image fit the template.
- Press the “Download” button.
- Under “File Type,” choose “PDF Print.”
- Tap “Download” to confirm.
PDF files are not for the web, however. If you want to share your image on social media, you will have to go to a third-party server to convert the PDF to a JPEG image. It will keep the same resolution.
Convert Town is a free-to-use online DPI converter. It is extremely easy to use, and you will instantly receive your new image.
- Choose 300 DPI on the gray resolution bar.
- Press the green “Choose Image” button.
- Wait for the high-resolution image to download.
Clideo is another free-to-use online DPI converter. You do not have to worry about security with this website either, as the company deletes any uploaded images from their servers after 24 hours. Use the steps below to begin.
- Press the blue “Choose File” button and upload your image.
- Select 300 DPI on the list of predefined settings.
- Create an account to download and save the image.
- Check the preview to ensure your satisfaction.
- Select JPEG, TIFF, BMP, PNG, or PPM, and start downloading.
The final online DPI converter to mention here is Convert DPI. This website is unique in that it allows you to increase resolution on up to 50 images at one time. Use the steps below to learn more.
- Press the blue “Add Image Files” button and upload your images. You can also drag and drop the photos if you would rather.
- Use the preassigned bar to select 300 DPI.
- Wait for the process to finish, then download your image in the format you need.
Using Third-Party Applications to Change the DPI of an Image
A wide variety of third-party applications exist to help you learn how to make an image 300 DPI on your computer. Some of these are compatible with mobile devices too via an app, such as Photoshop and Lightroom.
Adobe Photoshop is one of the most capable pieces of software for photo editing and graphic design. The software looks complicated, but it is easy to learn how to make an image 300 DPI in Photoshop using the below steps.
- Download Photoshop from Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Login to your account.
- Go to the “File” menu, then select “Import.”
- Select the images that need changed resolution.
- Open the menu labeled “Image.”
- Select “Image Size.”
- In the “Resolution” field, enter “300.”
- Check to see that “Pixels/Inch” is the setting on the “Unit” menu.
- Check the “Resample” box to keep the same dimensions.
- Press “ok.”
- Go to the “File” menu, then press “export.”
- Save your image to a folder on your computer.
Photoshop is not the only software made by Adobe that can help you adjust the resolution of an image. You will use the export function in this desktop or mobile app. Follow the below steps to learn how to make an image 300 DPI Lightroom.
- Download Lightroom from Creative Cloud and login to your account.
- Click on the “add photos” button and upload your images.
- Go to the module labeled “Library,” and press “G” on the keyboard to enter grid mode.
- Select the images that need a higher resolution.
- Go to the “File” menu, then “Export.”
- Look for the section labeled “Image Size.”
- In the “Resolution” field, enter 300.
- Click “Export” to save your new image to your computer or smartphone.
Lightroom does let you export to Photoshop as well. You will click the “File” menu, then “Edit in Photoshop.” Here you can follow the steps for the last software listed.
GIMP is free software that is available for Windows and Mac computers. It is for photo editing and graphic design. To learn how to make an image 300 DPI in GIMP, use the below steps.
- Download GIMP.
- Press “Import” to upload the images you need to edit.
- Open the “Image” menu, then click “Print Size.”
- In the field labeled “X Resolution,” enter “300.” The “Y Resolution” field will automatically update.
- Press “Ok.”
- Save the image to your computer under the “File” menu.
- Press “Export as” to select the new file format.
So long as you are not editing images for commercial use, IrfanView is free to use. The company prides itself on simplicity and speed. Use the steps below to change the DPI of an image using IrfanView.
- Download IrfanView and open the software.
- Upload the image you want to resize.
- Click on the “Image” menu, then the “Information” option.
- Look for the “Resolution” fields, and enter “300” in both.
- Press “change,” then “ok” at the bottom of the pop-up window.
- Save the image to your computer.
You can also use the “Resize/Resample” tool under the “Image” menu in IrfanView. When the pop-up opens, enter “300” in the DPI field. After, press “ok” and save your image.
Finally, XnConvert is available for changing your images to 300 DPI. If you have a batch of photos to adjust, this software may be best. Use the steps below to change the DPI of multiple images.
- Download XnCovert.
- Click on “Input,” then “add files.”
- Go to the “Actions” menu, then press “add action.”
- Go to “Image,” then “Set DPI.”
- Enter “300” in the “X” and “Y” fields, and ensure that you check the box next to “Keep Print Size.”
- Click on the “Output” menu, select the format and folder location, then press “convert.”
Change the Resolution on Android Smartphones
Androids allow you to change the resolution of an image easily. You only need the built-in Camera app. Follow the steps below to learn more.
- Open the Camera app.
- Press “Menu,” then “Settings.”
- Touch the icon that looks like a camera.
- Click “Photo Size.”
- Under “Resolution,” choose “300 DPI.”
Change the Resolution of a Photo on an iPhone Using a Third-Party App
The built-in Photos and Camera apps on iPhones do not allow you to change DPI. You can only change the length and height of an image using the crop tool. You can use the third party apps below, however, which are available on Android too.
DPI - Dots Per Inch
As the name implies, Dots Per Inch is easy-to-use and simple when you want to learn how to make an image 300 DPI. Open a photo using the leftmost icon on the top of the screen. After, enter “300” in the “New DPI Value” field. You can use the share, download, and print buttons to send your image wherever you need it to go.
MagicResize lets you change the DPI on multiple photos at once. You will enter the new DPI on the “Settings” page of an image. MagicResize is unique in that you can also view the camera information of your image using the “EXIF” function.
Desqueeze also allows you to change the size of multiple images at once. You can use the presets or enter your own DPI if you want. If you make a mistake, there is a “revert” tool too.
Resize Your Images Today!
Now that you know how to make an image 300 DPI, you should feel confident producing high-resolution photos. Use any websites, online converters, mobile apps, or desktop apps listed above to increase your resolution. Each option is highly-capable and comes with its own benefits.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence