How to Make Flashcards on Google Docs
Flashcards are a great study tool that helps you learn the facts required for your next test. These resources can help improve memory for anyone, however.
Many individuals do not want to create flashcards, despite their benefits. They do not want to go through the tedious steps required when writing out the terms by hand.
You can learn how to make flashcards on Google Drive and other digital platforms. You will have your study tools ready for use in no time when using the methods below.
Create Flashcards on Google Docs
Learn how to make flashcards on Google Docs using the browser website or the mobile app. Use the steps below for each method.
Google Docs Website
The easiest way to learn how to make flashcards on Google Docs is to build a table. You can create one of these graphics on your desktop computer or the Google Docs mobile app.
Learn more below.
Make a Table for Flashcards on the Desktop Version of Google Docs
You can learn how to make flashcards on Google Docs on your computer by developing a table, as seen below.
1. Click “Insert” in the menu at the top of the screen.
2. Press “Table.”
3. Choose how large you want your table to be. You will need two columns and as many rows as you need flashcards.
4. Make your table larger, if necessary, by dragging the box on the corner.
5. Type all of the definitions or images in one column.
6. Enter all of the terms in the other column.
Create a Flashcard on Google Docs Using Spreadsheets
You can also learn how to make flashcards on Google Docs by using spreadsheets. First, you will need to create this type of document using the steps below.
- Click on “Blank” to start a new document.
- Press “File” in the menu bar.
- Hover over the word “New” and press “Spreadsheet.”
Adjust the Print Settings
If you do not want to waste time cutting your flashcards to size and do not want to use a third-party server, you can change your print settings in Google Docs. You can have your terms and definitions printed straight to index cards using the steps below.
1. Go to www.docs.google.com and sign in to your account.
2. Click on “Blank” to start a new document.
3. Press “Add-Ons” in the menu bar, followed by “Get Add-Ons.”
4. In the search bar, type in “Page Sizer.”
5. Press the blue button to put the add-on in your document.
6. If your printer supports index cards, the size should show up in the list of available options after you press “Print.”
When using this method, make sure you put one side of the flashcard on the first page and the other on the second. When printing, select the option for “Two-Sided” under “More” after clicking “Print.”
Print Your Flashcards
After you finish your table, you need to print it. Cut each row into a separate strip of paper.
After you have the cut pieces, fold them on the centerline. It will correspond to what separated the two columns on the whole document. Tape the two sides together if you want to prevent your flashcards from opening.
Make a Table for Flashcards in the Google Docs Mobile App
The Google Docs app allows you to perform many of the same functions available on the website. To learn how to make flashcards on Google Docs on the app, you must use spreadsheets or printer settings.
To make a table for your flashcards on the Google Docs app on your Android, use the below steps.
- Download the Google Docs app from the Google Play Store.
- Open the app and press the plus sign to start a blank document.
- Press “Add” in the top right corner.
- Tap the option labeled “Table.”
- Choose as many rows as you need flashcards. Select two columns.
- Press “Insert Table.”
- Add images or definitions in one column.
- Place the words in the other column.
The below steps will help you learn how to make a table for your flashcards in the Google Docs app on your iPhone.
- Download the Google Docs app from the Apple App Store.
- Open a blank document by pressing the plus sign.
- Tap on the screen where you need your table.
- Press “Add” in the top right corner.
- Choose “Table.”
- Select as many rows as you need. You should only enter two columns.
- Press “Insert Table.”
- Enter your definitions in one of the columns.
- Type out your terms in the second column.
Change Printer Settings
You can change your printer settings through the Google Docs app too, however. Remember, if you do not mind using a lot of paper, you can create dual-sided documents. You can use the steps below to change your printer settings on the app.
- Download the Google Docs app and sign in if necessary.
- Open the file you need to print or create a new document.
- Press “More” in the top right corner of the document.
- Tap “Page Setup” to change the paper size.
- Press “More” again, and select “Share & Export.”
- Click “Print,” followed by “Google Cloud Print.”
- Select the appropriate printer and follow the on-screen instructions.
Third-Party Tools to Make Flashcards on Google Docs
Several third-party tools partner with Google Docs to let you print or use digital flashcards. Some of the best are in the information below.
gFlashcards requires that you use the steps above to create a spreadsheet through Google Docs. After you craft your document, you can use the steps below.
- Once you finish your spreadsheet, press “File” in the menu bar.
- Hover over the “Download” option, and press the “Comma Separated Values” format.
- In a browser, type in gflashcards.com.
- Log in or create an account.
- Enter a name for your flashcards and press “Create.”
- Click “Import,” followed by “Choose File.”
- Upload your file and press “Save.”
- You will automatically get your flashcards. You can download them or use them digitally.
If you want to use these study tools with your children, you may desire to add images after learning how to make flashcards on Google Docs. Flippity is a flashcard maker with pictures that you can add by inserting a URL. Use the steps below to create these study tools yourself.
- Go to new.flippity.net and go to “Templates.”
- Click on “Flippity Flashcards.” You will automatically go to the Google Sheets website.
- Press “Make a Copy” to keep a template for future use.
- In the “Side 1” column, type in the questions or words you need in place of the pre-filled information.
- In the “Side 2” column, enter the answers or definitions.
- Paste an image URL into the cell with the information if you want to include a picture.
- In the “CardColor” column and “TextColor” columns, enter the colors you want to use.
- At the bottom of the spreadsheet, click on the arrow next to “Demo.” Press “Rename” and enter in a title.
- Press “File” in the menu bar. Select “Publish to the Web.”
- Uncheck the “Automatically Republish When Changes are Made” box.
- In the bottom menu on the spreadsheet, press “Get the Link Here.”
- Click the provided link to see your flashcards.
Flippity is primarily for digital use. You cannot print dual-sided flashcards from the platform.
Vocabulary Miner is another flashcard maker with pictures unavailable, similar to gFlashcards. This software is available through a browser or mobile app. You also do not need to link a Google Docs file, as seen in the below steps.
- Go to app.vocabulary-miner.com.
- Sign in or create a new account.
- Click on a plus sign and enter a name for your flashcards.
- To import your chart or spreadsheet from Google Docs or Google Sheets, press “Import Words.”
- Continue adding additional words and definitions until you finish.
- Press “Download” or “Export.”
- Choose the “PDF Printable Flashcards” option.
After you download the file, you can print the document. Cut across each row and fold it in half as you did for the options above.
Make Flashcards in Google Slides
If you do not want to use the steps above for learning how to make flashcards on Google Docs, you can use Google Slides. This software is typically for making presentations, but it has many other functions. To learn how to make flashcards on Google Slides, use the steps below.
1. Go to docs.google.com/presentation and log in as necessary.
2. Open a new document.
3. Press “Add-Ons,” followed by “Get Add-Ons.”
4. In the search bar, type in “Slides Randomizer.”
5. Press the blue button to add it to Google Slides.
6. Create your slides with the questions or words.
7. Add a text box to each slide that contains the answer. Put an animation on it to ensure you control when you see the answer.
8. You will have to use these flashcards digitally unless you print your document. You will need to put one slide per page and select the “Two-sided” option.
You will have to use these flashcards digitally unless you print your document. You will need to put one slide per page and select the “Two-sided” option.
You can add an animation to a text box in Google Slides by clicking “Insert.” Click on the object, press “Insert,” then press “Animation.” Choose the effect you want to use.
This article helped you better understand how to make flashcards on Google Docs. You know by now that you can create charts or use spreadsheets within the software to make these valuable study tools. Google Docs also allows you to print directly to index cards if your printer is compatible.
You can also use a flashcard maker with pictures or other features that allow you to create a digital or physical version of these tools. Finally, you learned how to make flashcards on Google Slides using the animation features included. You only have to adjust the necessary printer settings if you want a physical copy.
Flashcards are a great way to remember the information you need to keep in mind the most. These study tools will help anyone, no matter their age. They are beneficial for students, those who want to improve their memory, and anyone else learning essential information.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence