How to Mute Part of a Video on iPhone
The iMovie app on your iPhone is one of the most comprehensive video editing software. It comes pre-installed on every Apple device. The iMovie app allows you to edit the audio and the video portions of your movies.
You can mute your videos or adjust the volume of them on iMovie. Some individuals only want to remove the sound from portions of their movies.
There are many reasons why you may want to learn how to mute part of a video on iPhone devices. There may be inappropriate dialogue in your movie, or you could want to create a dramatic moment. Continue reading the step-by-step guide provided in the information below to learn how to mute only parts of your videos in iMovie.
Ultimate Step-by-Step Guide | How to Mute Part of a Video on Iphone
If you want to use the iMovie sound editing features, you may not know where to begin. Some controls let you fade the audio, that let you adjust the speed, and others let you learn how to mute part of a video on iPhone apps.
This app comes pre-installed on every iPhone. Learn several of the editing features so that you can professionally remove parts of your audio using the information below.
Adjust the Volume Using the iMovie App
When learning how to mute part of a video on iPhone apps like iMovie, you have to understand how to adjust the volume. The process outlined in the steps below will help you learn how to edit audio in iMovie on iPhone devices.
- Open the iMovie app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the plus sign.
- Click “Movie,” followed by “Media.”
- Press “Video” and tap on the clip you need to edit.
- Tap “Create Movie.”
- Click on the video, and it will open the inspector at the bottom of the screen.
- Press on the option labeled “Audio.”
- Move the volume slider all the way to the left to mute the audio. Otherwise, tap on the button labeled “Mute.”
- If you only want to lower the volume, move the slider slightly to the left.
- Tap “Done” to finalize the editing process.
- Press “Share” to save your video or send it elsewhere.
If you want to learn how to mute part of a video on iPhone apps like iMovie, you will use the steps below. Note that you will need to use the movie cutter in iMovie to finalize the process.
1. Open the iMovie app on your iPhone.
2. Press the plus sign to start a new project.
3. Tap the word “Movie,” followed by the “Media” option.
4. Click “Video” and find the movie that you need to edit.
5. Click on the video clip you want to edit.
6. Press the checkbox, followed by “Create Movie.”
7. Play the video using the inspector controls at the bottom of the screen.
8. When you get the section that contains the audio you want to remove, press the pause icon.
9. Tap on the video in the timeline.
10. Wait for the tools to load. The app should automatically select the movie cutter.
11. Touch “Split” to cut the video.
12. Repeat steps seven through eleven to find the endpoint for the part of the video.
13. Click on “Audio.”
14. Move the volume slider all the way to the left to mute the clip. You can also tap the “Mute” option.
When you use the movie cutter controls, you will not get rid of the rest of the video. You will need to arrange your clips in the way you need them to play.
Fade In/Out Sound
After you use the steps above to learn how to edit audio in iMovie on iPhone devices, you need to make the sound flow. Use the fade in and out features to seamlessly transition between video clips. By using the information below, you can crescendo or diminuendo specific parts of your movie.
Before you can use the fade-in and out controls, you will need to separate the audio on your movie. Use the steps below to begin.
- Open the iMovie app on your iPhone.
- Press on the plus sign to start a new project.
- Click on the word “Movie.”
- Tap “Media” to try to select a video clip on your phone.
- Press “Video” and find the movie you want to use.
- Tap the checkbox and press “Create Movie.”
- Click on the “Video Clip” to start editing it.
- Wait for the inspector to load on the bottom of the screen.
- Press on the icon for “Actions.” It will resemble a pair of scissors.
- Click on “Detach.”
- You will see a blue-colored audio clip show up underneath the video in the timeline.
The steps above will let you move and edit the audio where you need it to be. It will also let you create fade-in and out controls for specific parts of your movie.
Use the steps below to start the process of fading your audio in and out using iMovie sound editing features
- Keep your project open with separate timelines for your audio and your video content.
- Click on the audio clip you need to edit.
- Tap on the Inspector section to open the toolbar.
- Press on the “Audio” button to start the editing process.
- Click on the option labeled “Fade.”
- Fade-in and fade-out indicators will show up on your timeline.
- Move the indicators to the portion of the clip where you want the fading process to occur.
- When you finish the process, click on the checkmark. Press “Done” to finalize the process.
- Click “Share” to save your edited video. You can also send it via email or text message.
You may worry about seeing the fade in and out indicators when you use this feature in iMovie. You will see yellow, downward-facing triangles over the blue audio clip.
When you complete the process to fade your audio in and out, small portions of the clip will shade. Listen to the sound that plays over your video to ensure you are happy with the results.
The Speed of a Bullet
Finally, iMovie lets you adjust the speed of your audio. You can divide the clips using the movie cutter, fine-tuning how fast or slow specific portions are. This feature lets you get as creative as possible when making an edited video using iMovie.
You must understand that you cannot adjust a soundtrack that you put over your video on iMovie. It can only be the audio that comes with the movie that you upload.
Use the steps provided below to learn how to adjust the speed of your audio on the iMovie app.
- Open iMovie on your iPhone.
- Click on the plus sign to start editing a new movie.
- Tap on the word “Movie” to start the new editing process.
- Press “Media” within the app.
- Click on “Video” and find the clip that you want to edit.
- Click on the checkbox to start the uploading process.
- Press on “Create Movie” to start the editing process.
- Tap on the video clip in iMovie to begin the editing process.
- After clicking on the inspector, click on “Audio.”
- Tap on the speed icon. It will resemble a stopwatch.
- Wait for the yellow bar to show up over the audio clip. Pay attention to the handles on either side of the colored icon.
- Drag the yellow handles to shorten or lengthen the portion of the audio you want to change.
- If you want to edit another portion of the audio in your video, press on the “Add” option in the inspector.
- Move the slider to the right if you want to speed up the clip.
- Move the slider to the left to slow down the audio in your video.
- When the speed changes finalize, you will see a solid white line over a portion of the clip.
When you drag the sliders to adjust the speed of a specific portion of your audio clips, you will see the edits in the inspector. If a fraction is present, you slowed down the sound. If you see a whole number, you increased the speed of the audio in your clip.
The iMovie app will automatically preserve the pitch of any audio that you want to change. You will need to access the settings of your specific clip to start the process. See the steps below to begin.
- Keep the video clip you want to edit open on your iPhone.
- Click on the gear icon. This button will open the settings for your specific clip.
- Look for the option labeled “Speed Changes Pitch.”
- Tap the option listed above to turn on the feature.
When turning on this feature, the audio clip in your movie will sound higher when it is faster. If you make the sound slower, the pitch will be significantly lower in its octave.
AirDrop to Your Mac
If you want more precise editing controls, you can airdrop the movie to your Mac. The iMovie app also comes pre-installed on these Apple computers.
After you upload the video to iMovie on your Mac, you will also open the inspector. Press on “Audio” to complete many of the same functions listed above.
To learn to airdrop your clips to your Mac, use the provided steps below.
- Open the Photos app on your iPhone.
- Click on the album labeled “Videos” to find the clip you want to airdrop.
- Press on the share icon. It will resemble an upward-facing arrow in a box.
- Click on the airdrop icon.
- Choose your Mac in the list of options.
- Wait for the airdrop pop-up to show up on your Mac.
- Press “Accept” when the sending process finalizes.
Mute Specific Parts of iPhone Videos
Your iPhone comes with one of the most comprehensive video editing apps. You can learn how to mute part of a video on iPhone using iMovie on your smart device.
If you want to, you can also speed up or slow down portions of your video clips using iMovie. If you would rather create an editing effect, fade your sounds in and out on specific sections of your movie.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence