How to Put 1-Inch Margins on Google Docs
A margin is the space that exists between the content and edge of a page. They are blank and do not contain any information. Some documents require a specific width of margin, depending on the style type you want to use.
Most styles, including the APA, require a 1-inch margin. This width will exist on every side of the document you hope to create.
Google Docs is a powerful tool that will allow you to create a document for free, as long as you have a Google account. You can learn how to put 1-inch margins on Google Docs using the information below.
Google Docs comes with a variety of templates that you can access by clicking on “Template Gallery.” Several of these forms come with varying default margins, including 1.5 inches for legal documents, for instance. You can still make adjustments on these template margins, however, using any of the methods below.
What are the Default Margins in Google Docs?
When you open a new project in Google Docs, it will already have a preassigned margin attached to it. The size of the space will vary. It will depend on if you open a template or a page from scratch.
You likely want to know the answer to what are the default margins in Google Docs for a blank page, however. When you sign in to your account and press on “Blank,” you will open a document with 1-inch margins. This space will be the same on every side of the page.
Change Margins on a Browser
You can access Google Docs in two ways. The first is to visit the website, docs.google.com, and sign in to your account.
After you sign in, you can start a new document from a template or scratch. When the page loads, you can use the two steps provided below to learn how to put 1-inch margins on Google Docs files.
There are two primary methods that you can use on the browser to learn how to put 1-inch margins on Google Docs. The first is to use the tools under “Page Setup,” as seen in the steps below.
- Click on the “File” menu.
- Scroll down and select “Page Setup.”
- Look for the text fields labeled “Margins.” You can change the top, bottom, left, and right.
- Press “Ok.”
When changing the margins using this method, they do not all need to match. If you specifically want a 1-inch width, however, you will have to enter that number in all four text fields. Google Docs will automatically apply your changes to the document after, press “Ok.”
Change Your Default Margins
Google Docs also makes it easy to adjust your default margins using the “Page Setup” feature. Use the steps below to begin.
- Click on “File,” followed by “Page Setup.”
- In the “Margins” text fields, type in the width you want your default to be.
- Press “Set as Default.”
A blank document will automatically have the new default margins after using the above steps. This process will give all of your papers a cohesive appearance.
Use the Ruler
The ruler is a relatively new tool available to help you learn how to put 1-inch margins on Google Docs projects. Use the steps below to learn more about this feature.
- If you do not have the ruler on your toolbar yet, press “View.” Click on the “Show Ruler” option.
- Click anywhere in the grey zone on the left side of the ruler. You will see a long blue pointer show up.
- To increase the margin, move the pointer to the right.
- To decrease the margin, move the pointer to the left.
The steps above will adjust the left-side margin. You can also learn how to make narrow margins Google Docs for the top and bottom of your screen. It will also work for the right side.
Click in the gray area to the right of the ruler to adjust your right margins. This time, drag the pointer to the left to make the space wider and the right to make it smaller. To change the top and bottom margins, you will look for the vertical ruler on the left side of the screen.
If you want to work on the top margin first, click in the gray area above the vertical ruler. Drag it downward to make the space bigger and upward to make it smaller. Do the opposite for the bottom margin.
Adjust the Indents
When using this tool to learn how to put 1-inch margins on Google Docs, you may notice two blue triangles and rectangles on the horizontal ruler. These two shapes help you form indents for your documents.
Typically, the indents rest where the margin ends. You can move them, however, by clicking and dragging.
To change the indent for only the first line of a paragraph, click and drag the rectangle. Move it to the right on the left or to the left on the right side to make changes.
To change the indent for the entire paragraph, you can move the triangle. Again, move it to the right on the left side of the document or the opposite on the right.
Change Column Margins
If you want to create a document with at least two columns, you can change the margins for each. Use the steps below to begin.
1. Use either the Page Setup or ruler steps to set the left margin.
2. Click on the horizontal ruler above your first column.
3. Drag the blue triangle to the left to decrease the right margin of the first column. Drag it to the left to increase the space.
4. Click on the horizontal ruler above the second column.
5. Drag the triangle to the left to decrease the second column’s left margin. Drag it to the right to increase the left space.
6. Finalize your changes by adjusting the far right margin using the ruler or Page Setup as aforementioned.
Change Margins on Only One Page or Section
When using the steps above to fix your margins, your entire document will adjust. You can learn how to change margins for one page in Google Docs, however, by using the steps below.
1. Click in the section of the document you want to change.
2. To change an entire page, highlight the entire section.
3. Drag the cursor over the horizontal ruler to make your margins wider or more narrow.
Change Columns on the Google Docs App
Google Docs is available as a mobile app on Android and Apple devices. You can download it from the Google Play or Apple App Store to begin!
Change Margins on an iPhone
You can learn how to put 1-inch margins on Google Docs files on your iPhone by using the steps below.
- Download Google Docs from the Apple App Store.
- Open the app and sign in to your account.
- Click on the plus sign to start a new document.
- Press the three dots in the upper right corner to open the menu.
- Select “Page Setup,” followed by “Margins.”
- Choose any of the options available. They should include, custom, wide, narrow, or default.
The default option you can choose uses 1-inch margins. Custom, however, lets you enter your width and height.
Choose the wide option for a unique look to your document. Your margins will be 2 inches on the sides and one on the top and bottom. The narrower option applies 0.5-inch margins.
Change Margins on an Android
As of now, Android users do not have an option to change margins on their devices. They can, however, learn to adjust the page size and orientation. These features come with varying default margins.
To change page orientation on your Android, use the steps below.
- Download Google Docs from the Google Play Store.
- Press the plus sign to start a new document.
- Tap the pen icon on the bottom right corner.
- Select “Page Setup,” followed by “Orientation.”
- Choose “Portrait” to have higher margins on the top and bottom. Choose landscape to have wider ones on the sides.
Change Page Size
To adjust page size on the Google Docs app, use the below steps.
- Open the Google Docs app and click on the plus sign to open a new document.
- Press the pen on the bottom right corner to start editing.
- Click on “Page Setup.”
- Tap “Paper Size.”
- Choose any of the options available, then press “Ok.”
Google Docs Margins Not Working
If you find Google Docs margins not working, there are some troubleshooting steps available.
Change How You Copy and Paste Information
Some individuals find that when pasting text, the words continue to run off of the page. They do not adhere to the margins. Many find, however, that by using the keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+Shift+V, they fix this problem.
A4 Page Size Problems
Other individuals report that they only have problems using the A4 page size. To fix this issue, use the ruler. Drag and drop the cursor until you get to the width or height that you want.
Google Docs has many of the same page and paragraph formatting options as paid software. You can even learn how to double space in Google Docs. Under the “Format” menu, press “Line & Paragraph Spacing,” then click “Double.”
For now, you should understand how to put 1-inch margins on Google Docs files. On the browser, you can use Page Setup or the ruler.
On the iPhone, change your margins under the Page Setup menu. Unfortunately, on Android, however, you can only adjust the orientation and page type.
Thankfully, there are troubleshooting tips available when margins do not work as they should. You only have to use the ruler or enable keyboard shortcuts to paste your text.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence