How to Put Video Clips Together to Make One Video
If you look on websites and social media platforms like YouTube, there are countless vlogs and videos. Due to the increase in this type of media, many want to learn how to make their own clips. You should understand how to put video clips together to make one video to be more professional.
You can merge videos using a variety of desktop and mobile apps or websites. There are also built-in features on smartphones and computers of every kind that will let you make a professional-looking piece of media. To learn more, continue reading below.
Combine Clips on Your iPhone
Your iPhone is a very capable piece of technology. Though you can trim your clips using Photos, this app is unable to merge them. There is another built-in application called iMovie, however. This software allows you to learn how to combine videos on iPhone for free.
iMovie comes with every iPhone. If for some reason the app is not on your smartphone, you can download it for free from the app store. Follow the steps below to combine at least two videos using this software.
1. Open iMovie.
2. Press the plus sign icon with “Create Project” written below it.
3. Touch the “Movie” option in the pop-up.
4. Click “Create Movie.”
5. Touch the area labeled “Tap + to add video, photos, or audio.”
6. Press the “Video” option, then “All.”
7. Select the first video you want to import, then touch the blue button with a checkmark in it.
8. Find the other clips for the combination, and press the blue button aforementioned after adding each one.
9. Press “Create Movie.”
10. Tap “Done” in the upper left corner.
Note that you can learn how to combine photos and videos in one video using iMovie too. After you add all of your clips from the “Videos & Photos” category, you will go back and tap “photos.” After, move the content where you need it to be.
Many media experts will tell you that you want to avoid jump cuts between clips. Thankfully, iMovie has built-in transaction effects that you can add to any video. The app will automatically add these to your combined media, but you can edit them using the steps below.
1. Tap on the transition.
2. Look through the options, choosing the one you want to use.
3. Select the duration time under the transition types.
Combine iPhone Clips on a Computer
Finally, you can learn how to combine videos on iPhone for free with your computer. You can Airdrop the clips to your Mac, for instance, and use the built-in tools available on it, Airdropping the finished product back to your smartphone after. The editing process on either your Windows or Mac is in more detail later in this article.
Combine Videos Using Your Android
Android smartphones also come with built-in features to allow you to merge clips. On any device newer than the Samsung Galaxy S10, you can use the editor provided in the Gallery app. Learn more about how to combine videos on Android devices in the information below.
Use the Gallery App
Gallery comes with every Android phone. To merge your videos using the editor, follow the below steps.
1. Open Gallery.
2. Select the first video you want to use.
3. Press the edit icon that resembles a pencil.
4. Tap “Add,” then select your second video, tapping “add” again after each one.
5. Press “Done” after uploading all of your clips.
6. Tap “Save.”
Gallery also allows you to edit transitions on the timeline. You press on each to change it to a new effect or adjust the duration.
Merge Android Videos on a Computer
Again, you can learn how to combine videos on Android devices using your computer. Though Androids do not have Airdrop, you can email the clips to yourself or use another Cloud-based program. If you use Dropbox, for instance, most PCs come with this software preinstalled.
Third-Party Apps for Merging Video Clips
If after you learn how to put video clips together to make one video on your iPhone or Android, you want more editing features, you may want to consider a third-party app. The list below contains some of the most popular options, each available on your smartphone of choice.
FilmoraGo is easy to use, and it is free for both Androids and iPhones. After you upload your videos, you can trim clips back or rotate them as necessary.
There are additional editing features on this powerful mobile app. You can add sound effects and music straight from the included library. You can also add borders or filters to any clip. Save your completed project with ease in any format you can imagine when you finish editing.
Capcut is unique if you want to learn how to combine videos on Android or Apple devices. It comes with over 60 templates that you can use to merge your clips in a specific way.
You only have to press one button to upload multiple videos so that they are in one cohesive file. After you put them in order, add stickers, effects, and text to any of your clips.
Magisto is also free to use for Androids or iPhones. After you upload your clips, you will be able to see them in a grid so you can delete any you do not need.
There are also templates on Magisto that give your finished video a specific look. You can add a layout to the project to put clips in a collage, for instance.
VivaVideo is one of the most professional third-party apps available. You can learn how to combine videos on iPhone for free or Android using this software.
Before you begin your project, you can select from a variety of themes. While editing, you will have access to a comprehensive timeline that shows each clip in order, allowing you to overlay them as necessary. There are plenty of filters and effects to choose from, each organized by its style.
Merge Videos on Windows PCs
Smartphones are not the only technologies that let you learn how to put video clips together to make one video. You can simply merge clips using a Windows PC. There are different steps for the specific system you use on your computer, however.
Windows 10 and 11
If you have Windows 10 or 11, you will use the Photos app to merge videos. You can use the steps below to create your combined piece of media with ease.
1. Open Photos.
2. Click on the “Collections” tab.
3. Press “New Video,” then “New Video Project.”
4. Type in a title for the video, and press “ok.”
5. Press the blue “add” button to import the clips you need to merge.
6. Select all of the clips, then press “Place in Storyboard.”
7. Click “Finish Video” to complete the process.
8. Select the video quality you want, then press “export or share.”
9. Choose the place to save your video, and press “export” again.
In the storyboard on the Windows Photos app, remove parts of your clips. You only have to use the trim or split features. You will right-click the portion you want to remove, then press “remove this video clip.”
You can also add text, looking through a variety of the font styles that you need. You can move the words where you need them to be in the video.
Finally, you can add motion and 3D effects. There are also filters to give your clips a specific look if you want to use them.
Windows 8 and Below
If you have Windows 8 or below, you can use Windows Movie Maker. Do note that Windows does have a plan to stop supporting Windows 7 on its computers soon. Use the steps below to learn how to combine photos and videos in one video with Windows Movie Maker.
1. Ensure you are on the Home tab, and press “Add Videos and Photos.”
2. Select the clips you need to add to the project.
3. Click and drag the clips to the timeline in their proper order.
4. Play the combined video to ensure your satisfaction.
5. Click on the Movie Maker icon to open the menu.
6. Press “Save Movie,” then “Recommended for this Project.”
7. Select the file where you want to save the movie, and press “Save.”
Editing in Windows Movie Maker
Windows Movie Maker has limited editing capabilities. You can add animations that come with the software. You can also upload music from your library.
Windows Movie Maker also allows you to record narration over your video. Finally, you can add a title screen, captions, or credits.
Merge Videos on a Mac
Mac computers do come with iMovie, the same software mentioned above for iPhones. Quicktime also comes preinstalled on these devices, however, which is just as capable. To learn how to combine photos and videos in one video using either of these, consider the below information.
Use Quicktime to Merge Clips
When learning how to put video clips together to make one video in Quicktime, you will appreciate that this method only requires a few steps. You can find those below.
1. Locate your video in Finder.
2. Double-click on it to open it in Quicktime.
3. Drag and drop another clip to the video player.
4. Continue adding clips until you have all that you need.
5. Reorganize the videos by clicking and dragging them in order.
6. Press “done.”
7. Quit Quicktime, and save your file to the appropriate folder when prompted.
iMovie comes pre-installed on every Mac computer. You can use the steps below to learn how to put video clips together to make one video on this software.
1. Open iMovie.
2. Under “My Media,” import clips.
3. Drag and drop clips to the timeline.
4. Press “file,” then “share.”
5. Press “file” again, then “merge.”
6. Export the video to an appropriate folder location.
Make Edits in iMovie
Just like on an iPhone, iMovie for Mac computers lets you add transitions, adjusting the duration and type as necessary. You can also add sound and narration.
Third-Party Desktop Software for Merging Clips
There are a variety of third-party downloads that you can add to your Mac or PC. Some of the best are below.
Adobe Premiere Pro
The most well-known software among experts for editing videos is Adobe Premiere Pro. To learn how to combine clips in this detailed program, use the below steps.
1. Open a new project.
2. Double click in the “media” panel in the lower-left corner to input clips.
3. Drag and drop them to the timeline on the bottom right.
4. Select all of the videos on the timeline.
5. Press the “Clip” menu, then “merge clips.”
6. Click “File,” then “Export.”
7. Enter the file details and name for the video, then press “export.”
Editing in Premiere Pro
The edits you can perform in Premiere Pro are truly comprehensive. There are so many features ranging from white balance adjustments, graphics, and audio, among others.
Filmora is not just a mobile app because it is also available for desktops. Use the steps below to learn how to put video clips together to make one video using this software.
1. Open the software.
2. In the “Media Library” tab, press “import.”
3. Drag and drop clips to the timeline, arranging them how you want them.
4. Go to the tab labeled “Split Screen” and select the appropriate template for merging.
5. Click on the “Export” tab to save your combined video to your computer.
Movavi Video Editor
Movavi Video Editor is best for beginners as it is simple to use. You only have to upload the videos, then put them in a list in order. The software will automatically join them together, allowing you to export with ease.
There are stickers and text graphics that you can add to any of your clips in Movavi. There are also a wide variety of transitions for you to place between your videos.
Websites to Combine Videos
Finally, there are a variety of websites and web platforms you can use to combine your video files. These are easy to use and allow you to get creative in the editing process.
Adobe Spark is from the same people who made Premiere Pro, but it is free to use. This platform lets you build presentations, videos, and even websites.
You can upload clips that are up to an hour in length in Adobe Spark. You can organize your content on the timeline in the order you want, using the trim feature to cut back any unnecessary footage. Finally, you can instantly download the finalized project right to your computer.
You may know Vimeo for being a social media platform where you can share videos. This website allows you to merge clips as well, however.
Vimeo is free to use, and there are templates that you can incorporate right on the website. If you want to add images to enhance your story, there is a wide variety available in the stock. Editing capabilities allow you to add text, captions, graphics, and filters too.
The final online tool to merge your videos is Kapwing. The website has an “upload” tab where you can insert any media you need to combine.
After you add the videos, you drag them to the timeline on the bottom. When exporting, you can create a custom size and remove any borders you do not deem necessary. The combined files will save right to your computer.
Any methods above will work when you learn how to put video clips together to make one video. You can use a free website like Adobe Spark or Kapwing or download a third-party service to your desktop or mobile device.
Android and Apple smartphones also come with built-in tools through the Gallery app and iMovie. The same is true of Mac and Windows computers, however. You can use iMovie or the Photos app on Windows devices. The possibilities are endless for the creation you will end up with as there are boundless editing features on all of these pieces of software.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence