How to Resize an Image on a Mac Without Losing Quality
If you are a business owner, learning how to resize an image on a Mac without losing quality can quickly boost your SEO. Even if you are not a businessperson, however, you may need to reduce a photo’s size to share it with your friends and family members, for instance.
No matter your reason, it is imperative that you learn how to use your Mac to your advantage so that you can make your JPEGs, PNGs, or other images any size you need. Consider the guide below to learn more about resizing any file saved on your Mac.
Some built-in features will help you learn how to make a photo smaller on Mac computers. The Preview app is the easiest to use. If you only need to change a few images, consider the Mail app, however. Learn more below.
Preview comes with every Mac. You can access it by double-clicking on any image that is on your computer. Learn how to compress a photo on Mac computers using Preview in the steps below.
1. Double-click on the image you want to adjust.
2. Press “Tools,” then “Adjust Size.”
3. Type in your own width and height dimensions. You can also choose the “Fit Into” button to choose a preassigned size.
The “Fit Into” options include resizing the image by pixels, percentage, inches, centimeters, millimeters, or points. You can also get to the “Adjust Size” feature by clicking the “Show Markup Tool” button.
Crop Using Preview
The crop tool is useful if you know the dimensions you want your image to be. Use the steps below to learn how to use this feature in Preview.
- Press on the “Markup” option.
- Click and drag, creating a box on a portion of the image. Watch the counter on the bottom right of your image to ensure you reach the proper dimensions.
- Use your keyboard to press “Cmd + K” to crop your image.
Adjust File Size
Preview also allows you to adjust the file size of an image. This feature is different from the previous one, as it shrinks the photo. Learn more about how to make a file size smaller on Mac computers using Preview in the steps below.
1. Double-click an image on your computer to open Preview.
2. Click on the “Tools” menu, then “Adjust Size.”
3. Press “Resample Image.”
4. Look for the field labeled “Resolution,” and type in a smaller number.
5. Press “ok.”
Keeping 300 DPI
The steps above mentioned changing the resolution. Most individuals, however, do not want to lose image quality. Follow the steps below to keep 300 DPI when learning how to make a PNG file smaller on Mac computers, or a JPEG.
- Deselect the resample image option.
- In the “Resolution” field, enter 300.
- Press “ok.”
Resizing Images in Batches
The Preview app allows you to resize multiple photos at one time. This feature is useful if you have a large collection of images that require changing. Learn more about this process in the steps below.
1. Open Finder and locate the folder where you have your photo collection.
2. Hold down “shift” on the keyboard, and select all of the photos you want to resize.
3. Right-click on the images.
4. Select “Open with,” then “Preview.”
5. Choose all of the thumbnails by pressing “Cmd + A” on the keyboard.
6. Click on “Tools,” then “Adjust Size.”
7. Type in or choose a new width and height, then press “Ok.”
You can also learn how to make a PNG file smaller on Mac computers using the Mail app. This method is very quick, as seen in the steps below.
1. Open the Mail app.
2. Compose a new message.
3. Drag and drop the image to your email message.
4. Scroll down to the bottom of the composed message, and look at the dimensions next to the “Image Size” label.
5. Click on the size, and choose between “small,” “medium,” “large,” or “actual size.”
6. Send the email.
If you send the email to yourself, you will only have to download the resized image from the message. You will also still have access to the original photo, as it will still be on your computer.
You can learn how to resize an image on a Mac without losing quality by using third-party software. There are many paid and free options available.
Adobe Photoshop is available for a price. You have to sign up for an Adobe Creative Cloud account, after which, you can download the software to your desktop. This tool is professional, so the steps required are in detail.
- Open Photoshop and log in.
- Click on “File,” then “Import,” and upload your images.
- Select the “Image” menu, and press “Image Size.”
- Check the box that says “Constrain Proportions.”
- Enter in a new width and height under the “Document Size” section.
- Ensure the “Resolution” field is at least 300.
- Click “Ok.”
- Click the “File” menu, then press “Save” to keep the changes.
Photoshop will require that you crop your image if the new proportions do not match the print preview. Cut out any unnecessary parts to finalize the process of learning how to make a photo smaller on Mac devices using Photoshop.
BatchPhoto has an Image Size Reducer that will easily help you learn how to make a PNG file smaller on Mac computers, for instance. This app allows you to resize images in bulk, helping you keep more minutes in the day.
You will enter the dimensions you want for your image first by changing the width and height. BatchPhoto also has percentage amounts you can choose from if you do not know the exact numbers.
You can save any of the resize settings you made too. Doing this will allow you to quickly change the dimensions of any future photo you upload with the click of a button.
Resize Sense does cost $19.99 to download onto your Mac. This app is all-inclusive, as you can change the size of an image from any variety of settings.
To start, you can choose from the provided presets with pre-entered heights and widths. You can also manually set the dimensions of your photo.
You can learn how to resize an image on a Mac without losing quality on Resize Sense by choosing the maximum dimensions! Finally, you can decide if you want to make adjustments based on the longest or shortest sides of your photo. It will make the result into a square shape.
PhotoBulk is downloadable with a price. It has a user-friendly interface, allowing you to make the edits you want quickly. You can learn how to make a photo smaller on Mac computers on the left side of the screen.
On the left panel, there are a wide variety of operations for you to browse. One set of features, for instance, includes the many available resizing options. These include presets that come with the app, percentage options, and manual options for changing the width and height.
Do note that PhotoBulk has a preview panel on the right side of the screen. You will see any changes you make as you complete them. You can also save any of the settings you love with the preset creation option that comes with the app.
PhotoBulk does have optimization features so that you never lose the quality of your image. These options work for JPEG and PNG file types. For this reason, PhotoBulk is the perfect option to learn how to resize an image on a Mac without losing quality.
Movavi Photo Manager
Finally, Movavi Photo Manager is best for organizing your images, but there are resizing features available. Optimization is also available so that you can learn how to resize an image on a Mac without losing quality.
The first option Movavi Photo Manager gives you is to enter the new dimensions manually. You can make the edits using centimeters, inches, pixels, or percentages.
Movavi Photo Manager also lets you choose from the many presets when learning how to compress a photo on Mac computers. Make sure you keep an original copy of your images on your Mac, however. Movavi Photo Manager will automatically override.
Websites for Resizing Images
Finally, there are several websites you can access to learn how to compress a photo on Mac computers. Any of the options below will quickly help you create the perfect dimensions for your image.
Resizing.app is a website where you can resize your images for free. There is also a Google Chrome extension, letting you quickly adjust your photos in one click. Follow the below steps to learn more.
1. Go to Resizing.app or download the Google Chrome extension.
2. Upload the image you need to resize.
3. Enter the size that you want the new image to be. Be sure to enter at least a 300 DPI resolution to optimize your photo.
4. Press “save” to have your photo automatically downloaded.
BeFunky allows you to learn how to resize an image on a Mac without losing quality online. You have to visit the Photo Editor and follow the steps below to get started.
- Go to befunky.com, and visit the Photo Editor.
- Click the “Edit” menu, and press “Resize.”
- Lock the aspect ratio.
- Type the new width and height for your photo, or enter a new percentage.
- Press “Enter” on the keyboard.
- Click “Apply” to save.
- Press “Save” in the top middle of your photo.
PicMonkey offers a free trial, but if you enjoy the tools on the website, you can sign up for permanent use. The crop and resize features on PicMonkey will get you the size you need for your image. Learn more below.
Crop a Photo
- Login to your account after going to the PicMonkey website.
- Press “Create New,” and upload your image.
- Click the “Crop Canvas” button under the menu labeled “Edit.”
- Select the preset options or enter specific pixels under width and height.
- Save your image.
Resize Your Images
- Login to your account, press “Create New,” and select an image to upload.
- Go to the menu labeled “Edits,” and press “Resize.”
- Adjust the proportions by either percentage or pixels, changing the number in the width and height fields.
- Check the box next to “Keep Proportions.”
- Save your photo with its new edits.
ResizePixel is the simplest of the website options available. You can learn how to compress a photo on Mac browsers with a few clicks of the mouse with this tool. Learn the steps in more detail below.
- Visit www.resizepixel.com.
- Upload your image by pressing the green “Upload Image” button.
- Enter the new width and height that you need.
- Press “Apply.”
- When you get to the download page, select the file format, and save the photo to your computer.
Resize Your Photos
Compressing your photos is necessary when sharing an image with friends or family members or posting one online. Thankfully, you can learn how to resize an image on a Mac without losing quality.
Every Mac computer comes with the Preview app, which has basic features for resizing your images. There are many third-party software options available, however, including Photoshop and BatchPhoto, for instance. If you do not want to take up more storage on your Mac, consider using a website like PicMonkey or Resizing.app.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence