How to Save Emails From Outlook 365 to Hard Drive
Microsoft Outlook offers one of the safest and most comprehensive email services. Unfortunately, data loss can occur at any time for any reason.
When using Outlook as your email server, it is also possible to accidentally delete all of your emails. This process can lead to a significant loss of essential information or unread messages.
This experience is frustrating for anyone, but it is overwhelming for business owners. It could lead to the loss of a deal or a sale.
Thankfully, even if there is a software hack or an accidental deletion, you can keep your Outlook messages safe. Learn how to save emails from Outlook 365 to hard drive storage in the information below.
You can learn how to download all emails from Outlook 365. Use the import/export wizard and select all of the files that show up on your screen.
When you press start, you have to wait patiently for the import/export process to complete. You will have a large folder on your computer that contains all of your email files.
You can also use a desktop app called Microsoft Export to download all of your email files. Again, they will automatically save to your computer. You will find them grouped in a folder so that you can keep them wherever you need them.
Different Ways of Downloading Outlook Emails to Hard Drive Storage
You can learn how to save emails from Outlook 365 to hard drive storage. There are many possible methods available. You will find each in detail in the information below.
Automatically Download Outlook Emails
It is possible to learn how to save emails from Outlook 365 to hard drive storage automatically. There are several methods available, including those below.
Use the Export Tool
The Microsoft Outlook 365 Export Tool is only available if you have a Windows computer. You can save your emails in .pst, .msg, or .eml format. The Export Tool will let you keep all of your messages or only those you select using the steps below.
- Download and open the Office 365 Export Tool.
- Enter your log-in credentials and press “Sign In.”
- Choose the folders you want to download to your hard drive. Press “Next.”
- Under “Select Email Format,” choose the file type you want to use.
- In the “Destination Path” dropdown menu, select the location for your email files.
- Press “Start.”
Use the Import/Export Wizard
The import/export wizard is a method you can use to learn how to save emails from Outlook 365 to hard drive storage. The emails will download in a PST rather than an OST format.
When using the import/export wizard, your Outlook contacts, notes, calendars, and tasks will also download. Use the steps below to begin.
- Go to outlook.microsoft.com in a browser of your choice.
- Log in to your Outlook account.
- Click on the “File” menu.
- Press “Open & Export,” followed by “Import/Export.”
- Click “Export to a File” and press “Next.”
- Select the “Outlook Data File (.pst)” option. Press “Next” again.
- Plug an external hard drive into your computer if you want the information to go to it. If a pop-up window appears, press “Cancel.”
- Click “Browse” and choose the appropriate hard drive. Press “Ok.”
- Press “Next.”
- Click “Finish.”
- Type in your password when prompted and press “Ok.”
If you do not mind saving Outlook emails one at a time, you can use the “File” menu on Microsoft Outlook. Click on “Save As” and choose to keep the messages as an HTML file. Once the email is on your computer, you can convert it to a PDF.
The Export tool that you can download on Windows computers will also let you choose other file types. You can choose between HTML, PDF, or OST. The PST option is the one that will most closely resemble the original email that was in your Outlook account.
Use Time Machine
If you do not have a Windows computer, you may wonder, does Time Machine backup Outlook emails? Thankfully, that answer is yes! Learn how to backup your Outlook messages using Time Machine using the steps below.
- Click on the Apple logo on the top left corner of your Mac’s screen.
- Select “System Preferences” and click “Time Machine.”
- Use the toggle button to turn on Time Machine in the pop-up window.
- Press “Select Backup Disk.”
- Choose the location where you want to save your email files.
- Press “Use Disk.”
- Click the checkbox next to the phrase “Back Up Automatically.”
So, does Time Machine backup emails? You may realize that you should already have the files on your computer. You can use the manual methods or the import/export wizard to begin the process.
Manually Download Outlook Emails
You can learn how to save files from Outlook 365 to hard drive storage manually. You have to put in the effort to begin. Follow the steps below to start.
- On a browser, type in www.outlook.microsoft.com. Log in to your account.
- Click on the “File” menu.
- Choose “Account Settings.”
- Press “Data Files” to see where Outlook saves the .pst or .ost files on your hard drive.
- Click “Open File Location” to see the exact location of your email files.
- Open Run Dialog, and type in “%APPDATA%.” Press “Ok.”
- Choose the folder that contains the files that you need.
- Right-click on the appropriate files and save them to your hard drive.
This method is best when learning how to backup Outlook emails to an external hard drive. You can directly copy and paste any email files to another location.
Download Your Emails in HTML Format
If you only need to save some of your emails, you can download them individually in HTML format. You can learn this manual method using the steps below.
- Go to outlook.microsoft.com and log in to your account.
- Open the email you need to download.
- Click on “File.”
- Press “Save.”
- In the pop-up window, choose the destination location.
- Type in a name for the file.
- In the file type dropdown menu, press “HTML.”
- Click “Save.”
You will need to repeat this process for each Outlook email you want to save to your computer.
You can learn how to backup Outlook emails to an external hard drive. The best way to download your files manually is by saving them in an HTML format. Copy and paste the emails from the location on your computer to the external hard drive.
You can also use the import/export tool to automatically download your Microsoft Outlook files to your external hard drive. When on the appropriate page, choose the device as the save location. Your email files will automatically go to the external hard drive plugged into your computer.
How to Download Your Outlook Emails to a Cloud Storage
You now know how to save emails from Outlook 365 to hard drive storage, but you may wonder if you can download them to a cloud server. This process is possible when using a variety of servers, including those listed below.
Save to Google Drive
To save Outlook emails to Google Drive, you can use the steps below.
- Log in to your Microsoft Outlook account.
- Click on the “File” menu. Press “Open & Export,” then select “Import/Export.”
- Press “Export to a File,” followed by “Next.”
- Select “Outlook File Data (.pst)”. Press “Next.”
- Choose the folder you need to save to Google Drive.
- Select the save location and click “Finish.”
- Go to drive.google.com and log in to your account.
- Click “New.” Press “Upload Files” or “Upload Folder.”
- Choose the email files and press “Ok.”
Save to DropBox
The easiest way to save your Outlook emails to Dropbox is to download the desktop app. You will use the steps provided above for the import/export wizard to learn how to save emails from Outlook 365 to hard drive storage. After, you can use the steps below.
- Look for the Dropbox folder on your computer.
- Copy and paste your email files to the Dropbox folder.
- Open the Dropbox desktop app, and you will see your email files.
Save to iCloud
It is easiest to save your Outlook files to iCloud when you have a Windows computer. Use the steps below to begin.
- Download the iCloud for Windows app.
- Open the app and sign in with your Apple ID and password.
- Click “Sync Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and Tasks.” Press “Apply.”
- Open the Outlook desktop app.
- Your emails from Outlook will automatically save to the iCloud server.
When wondering if Time Machine backups Outlook emails, you may appreciate this method. As long as you have the same iCloud account on your Mac, you will have your email files on both computers.
You can easily save your Outlook files to an external hard drive. Use the import/export tool to choose a new save location for every time you download these email messages. Your files will automatically go to the external hard drive without you needing to copy and paste them later. This method is the best for learning how to backup Outlook emails to an external hard drive.
Save to Microsoft One Drive
You can learn how to save individual email messages on Outlook to Microsoft One Drive. Use the steps below to begin the process.
- Log in to outlook.microsoft.com on a browser of your choice.
- Click on the email that you want to save to your computer.
- Press the “File” menu.
- Click “Save As.”
- Download the file as an HTML.
- Go to the OneDrive website and log in to your account.
- Click “Upload” at the top of the screen.
- Choose the HTML files you downloaded.
You can easily learn to automatically save Outlook emails to your hard drive. The best way is to use the import/export wizard.
When using the import/export wizard, you will select all of the emails you want to save. When you press “start,” the files will automatically save to your device.
You can also download the Microsoft Export tool if you have a Windows computer. This software will help you select any files you need to save to your hard drive.
Download Your Emails to a Hard Drive
Microsoft Outlook is one of the best email servers with the most security. It is possible to learn how to save emails from Outlook 365 to hard drive servers using the import/export tool or manual methods.
You can also save these files to a cloud server. Many of them require you to download the messages to your hard drive first. After, you can upload the files to the cloud drive of your choice.
The import/export tool and the desktop Microsoft Export app allow you to save multiple files. You can choose all of the messages on your Outlook account, or you can select specific folders or files.
If you have a Mac, you may wonder, does Time Machine backup Outlook emails? This Apple feature does let you save your messages to the hard drive, whether external or not. IT does require that you save the email information to your computer using the import/export wizard or any of the other methods above.
The above article may contain affiliate links, which help support Clever Sequence