15 Phone Stands to Record Drawings
Deciding to make videos to post online can be an incredibly fun and lucrative endeavor to explore. If you enjoy drawing and are looking for a way to share your skills or to pass on some tips and advice to others, then finding a phone stand for recording drawing will make the process a lot easier.
Creating videos doesn’t require specialized camera equipment. The technology in smartphones has advanced to the point where they can create videos that are the same as what you find in the movie industry. Using a tripod for recording drawing will take your videos to a whole new level.
Tripods have the ability to improve the overall quality of your videos. A stable recording device means that your audio will be more even and consistent — especially if you stay in one spot. The quality of the video images is also improved through stability, and you can set up shots and angles that only a tripod for recording drawing will allow you to do.
It doesn’t matter if you’re just starting out making drawing videos or you’ve been doing it for a while. If you want to take the endeavor to a whole new level, then you need a phone stand for recording drawing.
Clever Sequence is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site we may earn an affiliate commission for referring you.
The Buying Guide for a Phone Stand for Recording Drawing
The thought of buying a phone stand for recording drawing sounds simple, and in theory, it is. However, there are many different types of stands on the market, and you need to find that one that works best for your filming wants and needs.
When it comes to finding the best tripod for recording drawing, here are the things you’ll need to look for:
Since you are going to be using your phone stand for recording drawing, you want something that will hold your phone steady and can capture every detail of the process. Knowing what type of phone stand is best for you will depend on your specific wants and needs.
Do you need a tripod for recording drawing that can be adjusted so that it can zoom in on the fine details but also zoom out to take in the big picture?
Do you want to be part of the filming process, or do you just want to focus on your art? Does the tripod need to be able to accommodate top-down recording, or should it be placed in front of or off to your side?
When it comes to lighting, will you have other sources around you, or should the tripod supply the light source?
Where do you plan on placing the tripod? Does it need to be placed on your drawing table or desk, or should it be free-standing?
It’s possible to find options that are equipped with these features and more. Finding the right phone stand for recording drawing means you have to consider how you plan on filming your videos and finding the tripod that has the functionality to accommodate your style.
There are a lot of tripods available on the market, but they aren’t all constructed the same. When it comes to finding a tripod for recording drawing, you want a product that is made of high-quality materials and will ensure you can shoot clear, outstanding videos.
You may be an amateur, but you don’t want to look like one. The right phone stand for filming drawing should allow you to shoot professional-quality video to make it worth the investment.
What this means overall will depend on what you want your final product to look like. You don’t necessarily need to buy the most expensive option you can find, but you don’t want the cheapest, either.
There is a middle ground, and that will be to find a tripod that offers the best quality in construction and functionality for the price.
Price, of course, is one of the most important factors that impacts finding the best phone stand for recording drawing. While it’s important that you invest in yourself to create amazing videos that others want to watch, you don’t need to spend money you don’t have.
On our list, we’ve included a variety of different options that will fulfill many wants and needs. The prices will vary, but the quality of each option is high. You should be able to find something that fits into your price range, is functional and can help you create astounding videos as you draw.
Product Review for the Best Monitors for Photo Editing Under $300
We know that you want to offer your audience the best videos you can make, and having a phone stand for recording drawing will make the process so much easier. Our list contains a variety of options that will fit into your filming style and won’t cost you more than you can afford.
Have fun finding the phone stand for recording drawing that will work for you!
This phone stand for recording drawing was designed to sit on your desktop and take overhead shots. It is made from cast iron and has wide legs for added stability. The arm is adjustable and can extend from 8 to 16 inches, ensuring you always get the best shot.
Not only are the legs on this tripod sturdy, but they are also equipped with rubber pads to reduce skidding across smooth surfaces. It also has a swivel ball head to further refine the angle to get the best shot of your drawing for your video.
- Comes with a wireless shutter remote so that you can take steady shots or start and stop your recording quickly and easily
- The clamp has the capacity to hold phones that are 2 5/8 to 3 ¾ inches wide, including iPhones and Samsung Galaxy phones
- The ¼-inch screw included with this tripod has the ability to hold a GoPro, Sony Action Camera or Pico projector, should you decide not to use your phone for recording
This bar mount allows your camera to be horizontally positioned to get top-down shots that look amazing. This device isn’t your traditional phone stand for recording drawing, and the mounting sled has to be affixed to a tripod, but that is accomplished with various screws.
This bar is equipped with a smartphone holder and ball head, which increases the number of angles you can use to create stunning videos that show off all your skills. It also has a counterweight holder to keep the bar steady and ensure you are getting the most stable shots possible.
- This bar can be mounted to a tripod that is secured to your table or desktop to give you the best shots for your filming
- Works best with stands that have a payload capacity of 10 pounds or more
- The flexibility of this bar allows you to shoot either vertically or horizontally
This phone stand for recording drawing has a clamp that will fit most smartphones available on the market, and it adjusts from 2.3 to 3.4 inches. You also have the ability to change the shot angle from horizontal to vertical to ensure you are getting the best images every time you record. The phone holder is also equipped with rubber pads to reduce the chances of your equipment getting scratched.
It has a gooseneck rod that can be adjusted for the best angle, and the base is made from cast iron that can be adjusted to keep the stand stable. There are also pads that reduce skidding and damage to a desk or tabletop.
The ¼-inch ball head can be rotated 360 degrees to further increase the number of angles you can create to film your work. The gooseneck is also adjustable and can extend up to 16.5 inches long.
- This tripod is incredibly lightweight and easy to transport, so you can use it while on the go
- The ¼-inch screw head allows you to mount more than your phone, and this stand can be used with a ring light, Pico projector and others
Always remember where you place your tripod
Using a tripod for recording drawing is the best way to get amazing shots and share your talents with the world, but while you’re focused on your work, you might forget that your tripod is there. This could lead to it being accidentally bumped or kicked. Placing your tripod in the right spot so that you can’t hit it is in your best interest.
What makes this the best phone stand for recording drawing is that it comes with two holders: one for a phone and one for a tablet. It doesn’t matter which type of device you use to record while you are drawing, this stand has what it takes to accommodate your wants and needs.
The holder can also swivel 360 degrees so that you always get the best angle to show off your skills and abilities. The folding arm can extend to 18 inches.
The base is made from iron and is wide and round for added stability. You also have easy access to your devices to plug in the charger if the battery runs low.
- This stand can accommodate a variety of different phones and tablets that range in size from 3.5 to 11 inches, including iPads, Microsoft products, Android phones, Amazon Kindles and more
- It is equipped with a second-generation hinge mechanism that has a tension point where you can adjust the tightness of the arm and ensure you get the most stable shots every time
- The stand has been CNC precision processed with a metal-oxidized surface, creating a high-quality product that is functional and looks good
What makes this phone stand for recording drawing stand out is the fact that it’s constructed from carbon steel and ABS. It also comes with a lot of flexibility when it comes to angle shots, and the vertical pole extends to 18 inches, while the horizontal pole is 20 inches. It also has the ability to rotate 360 degrees.
With its dual holder design, this stand can accommodate both your phone and a light source at the same time. The clamp can hold phones that range from 2.5 to 3.5 inches. These include devices such as iPhones, Samsungs, Motorolas and more.
- This stand comes with a counterweight, which is an empty sandbag that can be filled and will then weigh one pound, that adds more stability and prevents it from tipping over
- The base is made from carbon steel alloy and is heavily reinforced to keep the stand stable during filming
Mark the off-camera areas
To ensure the items you want your audience to see are always on camera, you might consider marking the off-camera areas so that you don’t place things outside of the field of view. Using masking or painters’ tape can help with this endeavor.
This is a two-in-one phone stand for recording drawing that comes with a ring light and a stand to mount your phone. Your recordings will be well-lit and professional-looking when you use this device to show your audience your drawing skills.
The ring light is six inches in diameter and comes with 10 adjustable brightness levels. The three light modes include white, warm yellow and warm yellow plus white. It is powered by a USB cord, so you don’t have to worry about charging batteries.
The phone holder on this stand can accommodate most smartphones, including iPhones, Samsung phones, Google phones and more. The clamp can also hold a GoPro if you use that to create your videos.
- Both stands come with a suspension arm that can be adjusted to various angles to get the best shot possible while filming
- These stands clamp onto the edge of a table or desk, making them incredibly stable and sturdy
- The jaw clamp opens as wide as 2 inches, so you can be assured that it will fit on most desks or drawing tables
This phone stand for recording drawing has double-braced arms that are in place to add strength and support when you use it to create your videos. It attaches to the edge of a table or drawing desk with a clamp. The stand can extend up to 33 inches, so this will ensure you get the best-overheard shots possible. You can also position it to get other interesting angles that will show off your drawing skills.
The phone bracket can fit phones that are between 2.3 and 3.3 inches, which is equivalent to a phone with screens that are 4 to 6 inches wide. This stand is a good option when it comes to keeping the equipment out of your way because you can position it far enough away from your work area that you won’t bump it. Since it has such a far extension range, you’ll still be able to get amazing shots while you work.
- The phone bracket fits a variety of different phones, including many Samsung phones, iPhones, Sony phones and even Huawei phones
- The stand is constructed of plastic and metal, so it’s tough but also lightweight
- The desk clamp opens up to 2 inches wide, so it will fit on a variety of different desks and tables to fulfill your filming needs
Preview your shots
Before you start shooting your video, you may want to preview your shots. This will include going through the motions of your drawing and paying attention to the viewfinder to ensure that your audience will be able to see exactly what you want them to see. If your camera is set up in a way that doesn’t allow you to see the viewfinder in real-time, then do a quick test recording and preview that before you start your actual recording.
The arm isn’t your typical gooseneck, and this stand offers multiple adjustment points to ensure that you get the exact angle to highlight your work. Each adjustment point also comes with screws that allow you to tighten the neck in place. This added security keeps your phone in the exact spot you want it to be in. It’s the added stability you need for the best angle when filming.
The stand can extend from 17 to 29 inches in height, and the arm can go as low as 2.5 inches from the desktop and 12.5 inches horizontally. In total, the height of the stand can extend to 43 inches tall.
- Equipped with camera adapters that can be used with Pico projectors, a GoPro or other equipment that you might use for filming instead of your phone
- The phone holder can extend to 3.0 inches wide, so the stand is compatible with pretty much all mobile phones on the market, including iPhones, Samsung Galaxy phones and more
- Incredibly flexible stand that can help you zoom into your drawing or take wide shots for your audience to see every detail of your work
Not only does this phone stand for recording drawing come with a phone holder, but it also has a ring light, and they are included on the same stand. This might be the perfect setup if you don’t have many other light sources and want to ensure your drawings are highlighted properly.
The 10-inch LED light has three modes (warm light, natural light and cold light) and 11 brightness levels. It is located behind your camera, so you can ensure that you get the right brightness with minimum shadows for every shot. The light is powered by a USB cord, and you can change the colors and brightness with a knob.
The stand comes with a clamp that attaches to the side of your table or drawing desk. It also has a gooseneck that can rotate 360 degrees and the phone holder rotates 360 degrees, ensuring you always get the right angle for your video.
- Compatible with most mobile phones, including iPhones and Samsung Notes
- Comes with a remote to start and stop your recording, so you don’t have to touch your phone screen during the process
- Comes with a bag that makes transporting and storing this stand easy and convenient
Secure your phone
When you are using a phone stand for recording drawing, you need to make sure your phone is secured. If it’s not, you risk it falling out and getting damaged. Having the right attachment accessories is advised, and then you’ll want to make sure the phone holder is tightened properly.
This is another phone stand for recording drawing that can clamp to the side of a table or your drawing desk. It also has a gooseneck, but this one is incredibly flexible and can help you create a variety of different angles to make your drawings the center of attention.
The length of the arm is 21.5 inches, and with the base of the stand, the overall length is 27.5 inches. You can keep this stand out of the way but still get amazing overhead or side shots while creating your videos.
It can hold phones that are up to 3 inches wide and 0.5 inches thick. It is constructed from aluminum-magnesium alloy and ABS plastic.
- The desk clamp extends to 3 inches wide, ensuring it will clamp to many different types of tables or desks
- Compatible with many different Android and IOS phones
- A flexible, sturdy stand option for different filming needs to really show off your talents
Stabilize the tripod for recording drawing
When it comes to using a tripod for recording drawing, it’s important that the tripod is stabilized before you begin filming. If it’s not, this could lead to the whole contraption falling over and damaging your phone or tablet. Some of the items you might consider using to stabilize your tripod include gaffer tape or painters’ tape or books or counterweights to keep your equipment balanced.
If you are looking for a phone stand for recording drawing that can help you create panoramic images, then you’ll want to see what this has to offer. The extended arm has the ability to rotate 90 degrees vertically and 360 degrees horizontally. Not only can you create incredibly wide shots with the versatility of the arm’s movements, but you can also do low angle shooting and take macro shots as well.
This stand also comes with dual heads that can rotate 360 degrees and is equipped with a ¼-inch universal screw that can accommodate a variety of different filming devices, including mobile phones, cameras, GoPros and more.
The three legs on this stand give it added stability and support. The legs can extend up to 50 inches, so the stand can be used on a desk or tabletop, but it can also be placed on the floor. This flexibility ensures that you always get the best angles no matter where you’re filming.
- Constructed of aluminum alloy, so this tripod is tough, but the material also ensures that it extends smoothly and easily
- Quick flip locks and non-slip rubber feet add extra stability to this tripod, ensuring that the camera is always held steady and in the right spot
- Comes with a wireless remote that allows you to stop and start your recording without having to touch your phone or other recording devices
This phone stand for recording drawing comes equipped with a light and a phone holder, making it a multipurpose stand to ensure your videos are well-lit and show off your drawings in all of their glory.
The light only comes with two settings (L for soft brightness and H for high brightness), but this may be just what you need to get rid of shadows and illuminate your artwork. The light is charged with a USB cable, which can be plugged into a variety of different devices, including laptops, PCs, a USB charger or an AC adapter.
The 15.4-inch gooseneck ensures that you can move the light and your phone into the right position so that you always have the best angle for your videos. The phone holder can accommodate phones from 3.5 to 5.5 inches, and it can easily be switched from a horizontal to a vertical position.
- The legs on this stand are adjustable, ensuring that it is stable and sturdy so that you don’t have to worry about it falling over while filming
- It is compact, so it takes up minimal space on your desk
- Constructed of polycarbonate, so it’s lightweight and easy to transport
This stand is simple, but it still comes equipped with a light. After being charged with the USB cable, the battery will last for between 4 and 12 hours. The double-sized LED lights come with three color options and seven brightness levels.
The phone holder can accommodate phones that are between 3.5 and 6.1 inches. It can also be rotated 360 degrees to ensure you get multiple angles while making your videos.
- The light on this stand is equipped with Bluetooth that can be controlled from up to 30 feet away
- Equipped with a remote control that allows you to start/stop your phone, making it quick and easy to create your drawing videos
- The entire stand is self-contained, making it quick and easy to set up, but also convenient to transport and store
Have the right lighting
Your audience needs to see your work in all of its glory, which means you need to have the right lighting. You don’t want shadows darkening your work, so you may need to have light sources coming from different angles to highlight what you’re doing.
This phone stand for recording drawing can be placed on the floor, giving you more room on your tabletop or drawing desk for your artwork and supplies. It is constructed from aluminum alloy and has a heavy iron base, so you can be assured of its strength and sturdiness.
The flexible, rubber-padded bracket can accommodate phones that are 3.5 inches and tablets that are up to 10.6 inches. The holder can also rotate 360 degrees, and the gooseneck also has the ability to rotate 360 degrees. Any angle you can imagine when it comes to your video, this stand can help you achieve it!
The stand can be adjusted from 13.3 inches to 26.9 inches, and when you add in the length of the gooseneck, the overall height of the stand can be up to 27.6 inches.
- You don’t need any tools to assemble this stand, so as soon as you take it out of the box, you can put it together and start using it
- Compatible with various devices, including iPads, iPhones, Android phones and other tablets
- As a floor stand, you can keep it out of your way while filming to prevent shaking videos or knocking the whole thing over
What makes this phone stand for recording drawing appealing is the multi-directional swivel arm that is unique to this product. It’s quick and easy to rotate your device either vertically or horizontally 360 degrees with this stand.
The height of the stand can also be adjusted from 1 foot to more than 4 feet to accommodate all of your filming needs.
The holder can be used for phones that are 4.7 inches, as well as tablets that are 12.9 inches. These include iPhones, Android phones, iPads and other tablets.
- Constructed of aluminum alloy and ABS material, this stand is durable and stable but also flexible
- The base contains heavy metal blocks and is non-slip, so you don’t have to worry about the stand sliding or toppling over during filming
- Since this stand is placed on the floor, it is out of the way while you film
Recording Without a Tripod
As you read through this list, you may be questioning whether or not you need a tripod to create your videos. After all, it is an added expense, and you’re an artist, you don’t have tons of extra income floating around.
If you are wondering how to film yourself drawing without a tripod, there are several different ways to achieve this goal, including the following:
Ask a Friend to Help
Since you need your hands to create your artwork, you might consider asking a friend to help you film your video. They can hold your phone or tablet while it records, and they can even move around to get various angles and shots.
The downside to this is that if your project takes a long time to complete, your friend will need to take breaks. They may also not be able to hold the recording device steady, or the focus might go in and out. This will impact your video quality.
Use a Wall
Another option you have when it comes to how to film yourself drawing without a tripod is to set your phone or tablet against a wall. This will ensure the device remains steady and in focus, but the angle might not be ideal.
You have the option of using items in your room to lift the device up and then angling it downward, but then you risk the slightest bump on your drawing table or desk knocking your phone over.
Use a Small Beanbag
This might seem like a weird bit of advice when it comes to how to film yourself drawing without a tripod, but it is a way to steady your camera. The beanbag is flexible enough to set your camera at a few different angles without it falling over.
The downside is that you won’t be able to get any overhead shots with a beanbag, and you’ll need to make sure that the edge of the bag isn’t in your video, as this will ruin your images.
Do What’s Best for You
You always have the option of recording without a tripod, but the quality of your videos might be sacrificed. When it comes to putting out high-quality videos that people will want to watch, it’s probably in your best interest to invest in a phone stand for recording drawing.
Luckily for you, we have an entire list of different options for you to peruse. No matter what you’re trying to achieve, you’re sure to find a tripod for recording drawing that will take your recordings to a whole new level and show off your artistic skills.
When it comes to finding a tripod for recording drawing, you have a lot of different options to choose from. The one that works best for you will depend on your setup, what you want to show in your videos and the different angles you need to show off your masterpieces.
We know that not everyone is looking for the same phone stand for recording drawing, so our list contains different options for all your filming wants and needs. We’re sure you’ll find exactly what you’re looking for, and your videos are going to look amazing!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases